2 suggestions

overslept

WALLY WALLY WALLY WALLY WALLY WALLY WALLY WORLD
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
These have probably been mentioned before, but I'm too lazy to look it up.

I think GBAtemp needs:

A) A reputation system

and

B) A "search this thread" function

just sayin'. Rep would work really good around here, and some threads on this site can get MASSIVE in literally just an hour. Some of us would rather not waste our time reading 489 pages just to find out one thing.

Costello

Headmaster
Administrator
Trophies
XP
A) many would disagree, i'll let others tell you why

B) it's alreaday there at the bottom right of the page,
201008230034.png

monkat

I'd like to see you TRY to ban me. (Should I try?.
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.monkat.net
XP
Country
United States
I don't really understand the reputation system. On sites that I've seen it before, it's been pretty...garbage. It's just been people voting other people down just for giggles, and eroded into the more negative points you have, the more popular you are.

Search this thread can be solved with the regular search button.

redact

‮҉
Trophies
XP
Country
Mauritania
is there a way to make a rep system where you can only add positive rep?

then the more people help the higher their rep (for instance, fast would be at like 10k by now ;p) and nobodty would be able to give people negative rep for shits 'n giggles

ThatDudeWithTheFood

TRIANGLEZ
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
mercluke said:

then the more people help the higher their rep (for instance, fast would be at like 10k by now ;p) and nobodty would be able to give people negative rep for shits 'n giggles
That makes sense so if u dont like a post u just dont rep it
but i find rep quite useless as its not fair to new members especially when rep is needed for certain access to places in the forumn like the trading forumn requires 100 posts to view and such

jonesman99

GBAtemp's Official ArchAndroid
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Agreed, Rydian. It would be just like on XBOX Live. You would see that you would only have a negative rep either by someone who doesnt post at the same maturity or intel level as the other person, or someone who is just mad for no reason. And 9:10 you wont see any positives about the person.

redact

‮҉
Trophies
XP
Country
Mauritania
ThatDudeWithTheFood said:
mercluke said:

but i find rep quite useless as its not fair to new members especially when rep is needed for certain access to places in the forumn like the trading forumn requires 100 posts to view and such
i never mentioned higher rep granting you any extra features, just have it as a handy guide for new members to know what members know what they're talking about without relying on misguided beliefs that large post count == intelligent ;p

overslept

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Costello said:
A) many would disagree, i'll let others tell you why

B) it's alreaday there at the bottom right of the page,
201008230034.png

What the... THERE'S BEEN A "search this thread" FUNCTION THIS WHOLE TIME?!

You need to make that more noticeable
glare.gif

Skyline969

MENUdo Afficionado
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
mercluke said:

This. I think this is in effect over on Dingoonity's boards, and IMO it helps as you can tell who is more helpful and who just has a high post count due to trolling.

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
Rep systems are totally pointless and ruin every single board where they're implemented, detracting from the reason people actually help others. If you're shallow enough that rep matters to you then you really need to stay away from the internet in case you get your feelings hurt. In any case Rep does *NOT* indicate expertise in any one field...lets say a Wii expert with uber rep decided to help out in an area he knew nothing about.....not very helpful, despite a high rep.

And the last thing the interwebz needs is another place where people start using phrases similar to "+ Rep for answers". The only people who need a rep system are those who need help finding the search function....OH WAIT A MINUTE!

ThatDudeWithTheFood

TRIANGLEZ
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
mercluke said:
mercluke said:

i never mentioned higher rep granting you any extra features, just have it as a handy guide for new members to know what members know what they're talking about without relying on misguided beliefs that large post count == intelligent ;p
Read that then think about what you said anyone can spam a forumn and say there helpful and they arent

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
Reputation systems generally have a post count and account age component.

overslept

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
xist said:
The only people who need a rep system are those who need help finding the search function....OH WAIT A MINUTE!

What's that supposed to mean, xist?

And there's nothing wrong with having a positive-only rep system. That way newbies can know who to go to first if they have questions.

redact

‮҉
Trophies
XP
Country
Mauritania
mercluke said:
mercluke said:

Read that then think about what you said anyone can spam a forumn and say there helpful and they arent
what the hell are you talking about? i said the exact opposite
i said that the rep system will give a more accurate representation of who is helpful instead of people relying on making assumptions based on misleading high post counts

dice

pansy-ass ex-staff member
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
The rep idea won't happen. It's been suggested so many times over the years and has been rejected on all occasions so you can forget about it.

Your other suggestion has been answered although it isn't the first time it has been made. Perhaps moving it to the top of the page would make it more noticeable.

tj_cool

Site dev
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
dice said:
The rep idea won't happen. It's been suggested so many times over the years and has been rejected on all occasions so you can forget about it.

Your other suggestion has been answered although it isn't the first time it has been made. Perhaps moving it to the top of the page would make it more noticeable.
I'd make it as a drop down thing, like the topic options

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: They really wanna get the head