2 PS4s 1 on 1.75 and 1 on 4.06.... Safe to update to 4.55?

Discussion in 'PS4 - Hacking & Homebrew' started by th3joker, May 13, 2017.

1. th3joker
    OP

th3joker GBAtemp Regular

Dec 30, 2015
    United States
    Havent followed any console haxor scene in a few months been on vacation. So i have my new in box 1.75 launch unit and a 4.06 day1 launch modle ps4s. I see that 4.55 has been webkitted.. (not calling it a jailbreak like the other schmucks). Im not planning on doing any gaming with them any time soon. Just netflix n chilln... So should i just wait it out and see what happens? Or update the 4.06 to 4.55 and get usb game storage support? I just bought a 3tb usb hdd so i was planning on filling that with media i can play offline on the ps4

2. mech

mech ♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️

Oct 26, 2014
    Tonga
    wolfmankurd likes this.
  3. th3joker
    OP

th3joker GBAtemp Regular

Dec 30, 2015
    United States
    Bruh just no. I will not debate the bad use of the word jailbreak. Im not converting my ps4 from att to tmobil. I dont care if the dev calls it jb. Be does that becuase sheeple flock to words like ps4 jailbreak backup loader

4. NutymcNuty

NutymcNuty GBATemp's Autismo

Mar 24, 2015
    Canada
    Ottawa, Ontario
    a bit off topic but, couldn't you just download 4.06's firmware online and update one ps4 to that for the jailbreak when it comes out and leave one on the latest firmware?

5. leonmagnus99

leonmagnus99 GBAtemp Addict

Apr 2, 2013
    Seinegald
    by all means, go ahead and update.

6. _______

_______ Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 13, 2016
    It's interesting to see people that have faiths in some random tweets pic or words based on almost nothing. Truth or not, they might be released or they might not have been. But until they did get released, it's as good as nothing. Until then, you can choose to own a new console and play the latest games or simply sell it now and pick up a used PS4 later when PS5 is out. I bet those PS4 will be damn vulnerable and cheap as hell at that point.

But since you got 2, you can keep the 1.76 and update another one to 4.55 or further since you can have both of the above.

aos10 likes this.
  7. kevin corms

kevin corms Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 21, 2015
    Canada
    I don't know, I don't think the current 4.55 exploits will ever be released.

8. _______

_______ Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 13, 2016
    I doubt it too, that's why I suggested people not to wait. A moded console won't be that hard to come by later on. If people can wait this long at current stage, why not play it at full then get an used one that was moded when the PS5 came out.

9. th3joker
    OP

th3joker GBAtemp Regular

Dec 30, 2015
    United States
    Yea i upped the 4.06 one to 4.55 since i dont really care if i gave 2 hacked consoles and all the 1.76 stuff has been released so far so yea. I bought the latest need for speed not knowing its online only so i updated just to get the damn psn and vame to work

NutymcNuty likes this.
  10. wolfmankurd

wolfmankurd GBAtemp Regular

Jul 20, 2013
    Jail is a legit term used by tech people. In the case of FreeBSD (which PS4's OS is based) Jail has a specific meaning (The manpage for jail command on freebsd), in tech in general jails are a common term for any restriction on a group of processes and jailbreak is a reasonable term.

How old is the term jail? Well in the context of FreeBSD it's been there since 4.0. FreeBSD 4.0 came out in 2000. 7 years before the first iphone.

The generic term jail goes back alot longer than that. At least to 1991 when famously Bill Cheswick at AT&T labs jailed a "cracker" and wrote a paper on his activities in a chroot jail. The UNIX chroot utility which makes jails has been around since 1979.

Just thought that was a fun history lesson.

Last edited by wolfmankurd, May 18, 2017
  11. FPSRussi4

FPSRussi4 Clean up your act and cut the crap.

Dec 1, 2013
    Laos
    Jailbreaking means breaking out of the established "jail"(restricted to only running signed code and application) and being able to run unsigned code. So...jailbreak. Anyways, go ahead and update.

12. th3joker
    OP

th3joker GBAtemp Regular

Dec 30, 2015
    United States
    Im liking the game data usb support