2 PCs?

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by Digeman, May 31, 2007.

May 31, 2007

2 PCs? by Digeman at 3:02 PM (753 Views / 0 Likes) 5 replies

1. Digeman
    OP

Member Digeman GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sweden
    Hey guys! As some of you may have read in my previous thread i had trouble port forwarding, well not anymore! [​IMG] I figured out how to port forward using a guide on some site and it worked. The problem was that i had a dynamic ip adress when i should have had a static one etc. Anyways, now i got another problem [​IMG] While i did in fact port forward and checked if the port was open and everything all was good, but i did read that a static ip adress can only be used by one computer? And I've got two..so my internet kinda died for a moment...i put on my old configurations again so i could acces internet and ask any of you what i should do. If i have a static ip i get a warning that 2 computers or something are using the same ip or something and that it doesn't work etc. Does anyone have any experiences in this and knows the solution? Thanks in advance ^^

2. Strider

Member Strider Next to the mainstream

Wow, I consider myself almost a networking expert, but you're very confusing.

Yes, you propably only have 1 internet IP. Via network address translation almost any number could communicate with that, though.

I strongly recommend you get/use a router (or an old pc with e.g. http://ipcop.org/ ) for convenience AND SECURITY reasons.

3. Digeman
    OP

Sweden
    Yeah i am pretty confused and don't really know what i'm doing but ya gotta try yaknow [​IMG]

Edit: Well now that i've put on my old configurations and tried to see if the port was okey and everything it said that the port was open and OK! [​IMG] So i guess i don't really need to port forward anymore [​IMG]

4. spokenrope

Member spokenrope c7

United States
    I didn't read your previous thread, but you don't have a router set up? How do you connect the two computers to the internet?

I just have my static IPs set to be in the same range.

192.168.1.101 is the desktop
    192.168.1.102 is the laptop
    192.168.1.103 is the xbox
    etc

Edit: Well it looks like you've solved your problem then. Nevermind. [​IMG]

5. Digeman
    OP

Sweden
    Just one question though, does having a dynamic ip adress affect my upload/download speed in any way? And if so is using a static ip adress any better?

6. pikachucrackpipe

Member pikachucrackpipe President

United States
    static internal ip not external wan ip

your wan ip is irrelevant.

just make sure there are all in the same octet (range) like spokenrope stated.