2 decades of anime

Panzer Tacticer

veteran human
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Anime exceeds 2 decades, but, I think most will agree exceeding 20 years it gets damned thin.

In fact, anime has a hard time breeching 15 years to some extent.

I will break it into 3 groups of 5 years, because I can, and because I think it is best that way.

Without wanting to be anal, I am not going to start getting fussy on dates of start and dates of conclusion. I tend to think of anime as coming from it's start era, and not so much concerned with how many seasons it might have had.

So, to ask the question, when do you think was anime's best time, in the last 15 years?

It is not easy for me to judge.

So many of my favs are shows of the 90s, and yet, they really only became easy to like in the first part of this decade when they went to dvd.
So I am picking 2000-2005 for myself. It's a weight of numbers thing even though some of my truly liked shows are only recently arrived.

The last two years, I have also seen a trend gaining speed which I am increasingly not happy with.
Too often I have decided to check out a show, only to find it was almost no plot, and almost all about sex in some fashion.
Not that I don't like sex
smile.gif

But really, my idea of greatness in anime doesn't need it.
I'm just unable to respect the 2006-2010 time period too fully as it has too many shows too dedicated to making the viewer pointlessly aroused.

If ya had to pick, what would you pick.

1995-2000
2000-2005
2006-2010

Be willing to at least offer some reasons why if you can eh.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Just to be a bastard how do you categorise anime that started out as a manga in a previous time bracket?

Secondly I think I will go different periods for different reasons/varying with my mood-

Early stuff had the whole low budget thing- anime has never been "tame" visually but it has fallen into a rut thematically (I pointedly will think long and hard about watching one set in a school environment which seriously limits choices) and I have seen the rise of "seasons" and the filler/padding (if you have 7 good episodes do not pad it to 12 sort of thing) that comes with it. Graphics are not much but between cheap animation (see overuse of Ken Burns effect) and bad transfers it is not necessarily pleasing on the eye.

Later stuff had higher budgets and generated some amazing stuff along the way.

Last five years had some excellent things but having seen those upcoming anime "posters" (thanks to the 'tempers that link them up by the way) every quarter for the last couple of years I have not been excited about anything really. Curious yes but not excited.

Also I call rose tinted spectacles- by way of example have a look at the manga trailers you might have on your DVD collection. Given even then they are effectively the cream of the crop how many of them will you seek out and watch today over your other choices?

Better yet I might say I would more look to the persons/studios making things (not that I know their names)- pretty much like I might select computer games.

Hachibei

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
1995-2000. Cowboy Bebop, DBZ, Hunter x Hunter, GTO, the list goes on.

I'd definitely have to agree with Panzer's point of view on 2006-2010, it seems the majority of today's anime involves tons of lolis and fanservice. Terrible.

craplame

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
1995-2000 had the best Anime back then. I loved Sailor Moon, Fushigi Yuugi, Gundam, and Dragon Ball. The shows' concept were original.

MFDC12

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
how about all 3
tongue.gif

my favorite anime is in all periods of that time, but my favorite episodes tend to be in 1995 (techincally 96)-2000 era. this anime is detective conan.

2000-2005 had my second favorite anime series was paranoia agent, 2004. also had spirited away, boogiepop phantom, blood the last vampire, flcl, samurai champloo, and a bunch of others i like.

so i guess in general ''00-'05.

megawalk

The Legendary SRW Addict
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
i will add one for myself since i like old times. and don't disregard it because i WILL show it.
1995-2000 = Gundam Wing, Dragonball Z/GT, GaoGaiGar
2000-2005 = Gundam Seed, Gaiking Legend of Daiku Maryu, GaoGaiGar Final
2005-2010 = Gundam Seed Destiny, Gundam 00 + S2, Current Bleach Season, Shin Mazinger Shougeki,
Super Robot Taisen OG: The Inspector, Mazinkaiser SKL(Soon! When it's Airing!), Digimon Xros Wars,
Digimon Savers

1960 = 1990 (Because I Just Do!)
Zambot3
Daitarn3
Combattler V
Voltes V
Daimos
Zeorymer
Mazinger Z
Great Mazinger
Mazinkaiser
Grendizer
Getter
Getter G
Gundam
Gundam Z
Gundam ZZ
Gundam Stardust Memory
Gundam X
G Gundam
Kotetsu Jeeg!

Shinigami357

Current "give a fuck" level: Honey Badger
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Anime is anime. I think anime has been awesome from way back then up to now, no need to categorize them into outright "eras", because that is simply being narrow-minded. And of course, the Japanese people really don't care what you people think of it. They like their anime the way it is (or the way it has become, if you wanna look at it that way), so take it or leave it.

DarkShinigami

#1 strongest Shinigami BANKAI
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Danny600kill said:
I'd have to say 1995 - 2000 as this is when I watched Pokemon ( not sure if counted ) but more importantly Dragonball and DBZ
wub.gif
that was awesome the dbzkai is shit it is very good visually but the voice actors are new and horrible

hakusa

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Malaysia
2003-2007? Not so sure, but those were the timelines of when Wolf's Rain and Seirei no Moribito came out. Wolf's Rain's first episode was awesome like nothing. I started watching it about 2 months back and it was something I've never seen before. I regret not having seen that anime earlier. But in a way, I've yet to complete it because it got a bit moody with no plot developments near the end. And BONES tried to be amusing by putting 4-5 recaps in a row

Seirei no Moribito had really good action which were quite well-choreographed. I was also pretty amazed at the way they did the skies. The level could almost be on par with Shinkai Makoto.

Infinite Zero

Almost!
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
United States
mangaTom said:
Flame of recca 1997.
yay.gif
Still and will always be my fav.
closedeyes.gif
+1

And I prefer the style of Anime before. The drawings are pure and much better.

My favorites in the 1995-2004(?)

Dragonball Z
GhostFighter
Hunter X Hunter
Yugioh
Doraemon(?)
Ranma 1/2
Monster rancher
Lupin the 3rd
black jack
Cardcaptor Sakura
hamtaro
Inuyasha
Beyblade
Cyborg Kuro-chan
Shaman king
Samurai X
Rave master
Getbackers
DICE
Law of Ueki

But i still love most anime in 2001-2006

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    It could get banned from PSN but you can change your ID I think?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also gonna install twilight menu in my r4 flashcard
    One thing that just occurred to me.... The sound on the 2600 sucked less back then the harsh sound we hear now is from infinitely better speakers we have now, back when the 2600 was new speakers produced a almost muffled sound, like CRTs made old graphics look slightly better.
    I wonder if I could recommend that to some emulation devs that perhaps the sound could use some smoothing out to simulate those old TVs
    I think a few of the early systems could benefit from that, at least up to the 8 bit generation, by the 16 bit generation I think TVs had gotten a lot better in almost every way
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i dont have an sd card adapter but I have an usb sd card adapter
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Old people games
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    its not the one that comes with the r4
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    doesnt work (my flashcard is from r4isdhc.com)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    might install ysmenu first
    Try Wood firmware
    For your R4
    It's old but it's the best firmware out for DS stuff
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    it says it only works for the original R4, R4i Gold (r4ids.cn), R4iDSN (r4idsn.com) and Acekard R.P.G.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    nvm it does support mine
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    but why choose it over ysmenu @Psionic Roshambo?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc im stupid?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yea ik im stupid
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    Just give it a try, but honestly if you have a 3DS you can play DS games without a card just off the internal SD card
    Slightly slower loading but a bit more convenient
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, my fuckin headphones have an out of place speaker
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Did you try wearing them?
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Did you try wearing them?