1UP: "New PSP is Named, Coming This Fall"

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by War, Apr 29, 2009.

Apr 29, 2009
  1. War
    OP

Member War Take it easy~

Japan
    "Rumors of a major PSP hardware redesign have repeatedly bubbled to the surface over the last several months -- some claiming the removal of the system's UMD disc drive, and others pointing to a second analog stick and sliding screen. According to sources directly involved with the new system, we have learned that Sony will quell those rumors by unveiling their revamped PSP at this year's E3 conference in June.

Many have speculated that the update would be called either the PSP 2 or PSP-4000, but our sources claim Sony will forgo a numerical moniker in favor of a subtitle. We've heard various rumored code names for the project (including PSP Slide, PSP Flip, and PSP Go!), but given that Sony has introduced the Go! brand of add-ons (the Go!View video on-demand service and 1.3 megapixel Go!Cam) for the European PSP, it seems likely that the new system will in fact be called the PSP Go! Our sources further confirm that this redesign will be available in two SKUs, with either eight or 16 GB of built-in flash memory. The system is set for release in Japan this September with a U.S. debut coming in either late October or early November.

In addition, since the UMD is going away, Sony will have over 100 classic and new PSP titles available for download at launch (Gran Turismo Mobile is said to be one of the premier launch titles). As for the hardware itself, the redesign will include a d-pad, analog nub, and face buttons as part of a sliding unit sticking out below the screen (as seen in our mockup above). Unfortunately for those looking for twin-stick shooter controls, the new system will not have a second analog stick, but instead will remain consistent with the current control configuration.

When asked about any of these details, Sony, of course, stated that it "does not comment on rumors or speculation."

As a bit of speculation, we wouldn't be surprised to see Sony borrow many design features from their Mylo 2 handheld Internet device, which is seemingly dead in the water. This could provide an 800x480 pixel touch screen for the system, as well as a camera on the system's backside.

Between the redesign and a strong lineup of recently announced PSP titles (see: Tekken 6 and Soul Calibur: Broken Destiny), Sony is clearly attempting to assert their relevance in the wake of the DSi's release and success of the iPhone as a gaming platform. It'll be interesting to see what sort of a splash Sony makes and the reaction the new hardware receives when it debuts at E3, which is only a month away. Preloading every PSP Go! with a copy of LittleBigPlanet would certainly make some waves."

Source

2. myuusmeow

Member myuusmeow GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    This sounds like it'll be pretty much the same PSP just without the UMD and a slider (what would this do, if they aren't gonna add a second analog stick its not like they're gonna add buttons under the screen) so hopefully the games will be downloadable on the old PSP.

3. Ferrariman

Member Ferrariman Hip-Flop and cRap

Canada
    Bull.

They will call it Zappin'

4. ZeroEXE93

Member ZeroEXE93 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Sounds interesting, especially the downloadable games. Is there no information about the price yet though? =/

5. Rock Raiyu

Member Rock Raiyu Clock Up

United States
    I actually may buy this...I don't know. Probably not.

Why would you give a price on something that's rumored?

6. War
    OP

Member War Take it easy~

Japan
    I'm guessing the same as the other ones. Like 200+ USD

7. Dark_linis

Member Dark_linis GBAtemp Regular

United States
    er... didnt the 3000 come out just a few months ago?

that doenst matter to anyone?

8. Ferrariman

Member Ferrariman Hip-Flop and cRap

Canada
    More like half a year.

9. ojsinnerz.

Member ojsinnerz. Damned

Canada
    Hm, I just bought a cheap used psp.... I'd buy this if it actually had any games worth while.

10. anaxs

Member anaxs got milk, got candy

Canada
    are the downloadable games like dsi ware or virtual consoles or are they retale games.....

11. dinofan01

Member dinofan01 Misses the old days...

United States
    Most likely retail since the lack of UMD drive. Interesting to see the pricing now.

12. ryukyus

Member ryukyus GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Sounds like desperation to me, even though I like the psp because of graphic, but they will never top nintendo, in the handheld department. don't even care about new psp right cuz I just purchased a slim

13. Chris_Skylock

Member Chris_Skylock GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Philippines
    When Nintendo DS was released, Sony told Nintend that the Touch Screen was a gimmick. Now, They will add a touchscreen into the PSP? Sue Sony

14. soldialga

Newcomer soldialga Advanced Member

United States
  15. Chris_Skylock

Member Chris_Skylock GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Philippines
    Sony are conducting a survey to what implement in the next PSP. This was but not limited to touchscreen. WTF? The stupid Sony said that touchscreen was a gimick and now they want one? C'mon.

The one they conducted are, of course, Nintendo fans.

But wait? Where's the improved battery life?

16. armagedalbeebop

Member armagedalbeebop GBAtemp Regular

Portugal
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

i rest my case

17. Domination

Member Domination GBAtemp Psycho!

Singapore
    Touchscreen? Maybe the DS is going to get some competition now..... Maybe i'll get this PSP too

18. BlueStar

Member BlueStar GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    Too late to call it the PSP Go! The PSP Went! a long time ago.

19. Pizzaroo

Member Pizzaroo douchebag

United States
    Yeah, the new hardware features make this not look like a PSP at all lol.

20. Santee

Member Santee JalapeƱo

United States
    What will they do about the people who bought psp games and have retail umds if there is no umd slot that wouldn't be smart on sony's part. Not like many people like us on gbatemp will buy it if it has protection from CFW like the 3000 did though.