Gaming 1st time completed Skyward Sword... felt nothing?

shinkodachi

On permanent leave
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Hey,

Pretty pissed off right now. I played through Skyward Sword and completed it today. I tried to reach 100% without the help of a guide, so I took my time exploring the game and collecting items. I'm pretty sure my game was 100%, at least 99,99%. All side quests with gratitude crystals done (Batreaux said I had all), all the heart pieces (heart container in the menu says so), etc. Not sure about the Goddess Cubes, but there weren't any more to dowse for. My latest save just before Demise showed a total play time of 71:34. I took my time, really liked the game to that point, and the fight with Demise was spectacular. Very challenging, which I loved since the rest of the game was easy if you took your time to upgrade items, etc.

Then. The ending.

What the ****. Complete lack of emotion. Very boring. Not even cliché stuff like Link kissing Zelda at the end! I didn't care about Fi leaving. She/it just kept nagging me about obvious stuff throughout the game. I wish there was an option to turn that off, except for the times when Fi is actually needed. They never showed us how the people in Skyloft were doing, anyway. They came to the Sealed Grounds with the loftwings, but if they could just fly down like that then why did Link have to travel all on his own?! The people keep worrying about Zelda and after everything's said and done she doesn't even go back to say hi! Very rude.

To me, the ending made a game that I was ready to rate 9/10 just a passable 7/10. I watched through the ending credits and the ending cutscenes and everything. I felt NOTHING.

When I played Shadow of the Colossus on the PS3 last year, the ending was so powerful, it made me feel anxious. Even sorry for the colossi I killed! But Skyward Sword didn't even make me smile that I saved the world. It feels like the 70+ hours I put into the game were for nothing.

Anyone else with similar experiences?

PolloDiablo

Madre de Dios! Es El POLLO DIABLO!!!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No
I really liked the final boss battle... specially how the name of the game (Skyward Sword) gives you a hint on how to beat it
The rest of the ending was just typical Zelda fare

kristianity77

GBATemp old fogey
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Game endings to be fair aren't really that important. When you factor in that an end sequence counts for probably 0.1% of total playtime it shouldnt be important. Endings for games like Dark Souls, Fable 2, Bioshock, Far Cry 3 are all pretty weak offerings that are over in 30 seconds but it doesnt stop them being very good games.

Hell, more or less every 8 bit and 16 bit game you were greeted by a wall of text and Congratulations at the end but its the journey isn't it that you play for.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
She/it just kept nagging me about obvious stuff throughout the game.

Then I imagine you should have liked Fi's effective death at the end of the game. What would you rather have happened?

They never showed us how the people in Skyloft were doing, anyway. They came to the Sealed Grounds with the loftwings, but if they could just fly down like that then why did Link have to travel all on his own?!
They flew through the Column of Light Link opened.

I enjoyed the ending, minus the potential time travel paradox surrounding Demise's death and absorption into the Master Sword in the past.

shinkodachi

On permanent leave
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
No
I really liked the final boss battle... specially how the name of the game (Skyward Sword) gives you a hint on how to beat it
The rest of the ending was just typical Zelda fare
To be honest I didn't even use the Skyward Strike on Demise. Even with his charged sword, I just worked myself through his attacks and then gave him one or two slashes quickly, until I could execute a Fatal Blow. So... the Skyward Strike isn't even necessary to beat the boss.

shinkodachi

On permanent leave
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Game endings to be fair aren't really that important. When you factor in that an end sequence counts for probably 0.1% of total playtime it shouldnt be important. Endings for games like Dark Souls, Fable 2, Bioshock, Far Cry 3 are all pretty weak offerings that are over in 30 seconds but it doesnt stop them being very good games.

Hell, more or less every 8 bit and 16 bit game you were greeted by a wall of text and Congratulations at the end but its the journey isn't it that you play for.
I played Blaster Master on NES. The ending was very simple, but it at least made you feel proud of what you had accomplished, IMO.

In Skyward Sword, I guess that I let myself sink too much into the story. This is my first Zelda game in which I cared about the story. I played LttP on SNES a few years ago, just skipping though the texts. I felt the ending was good in that one, too.

Reactions: Thomas83Lin

shinkodachi

On permanent leave
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Then I imagine you should have liked Fi's effective death at the end of the game. What would you rather have happened?

They flew through the Column of Light Link opened.

I enjoyed the ending, minus the potential time travel paradox surrounding Demise's death and absorption into the Master Sword in the past.
I guess what I would have wanted to happen is everyone in the game going back up to Skyloft, then perhaps see the clouds disappear so you could see the surface, the world below, everything that's beent alked about but only few knew about. And why does Link not kiss Zelda, so obvious to put that in there. (Though maybe Link is asexual or gay, who knows.) in regards to Fi: I think that I was expecting her to just vanish like dust in the air, like she was programmed to kill herself after her purpose was fulfilled. She even said so, her purpose was to guide Link. So why even go into a deep sleep state. What if the Master Sword just exploded into a million pieces, and the small bits reflected some divine light onto the whole world, keeping it away from evil, I don't know, give me something powerful like that!

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
She even said so, her purpose was to guide Link. So why even go into a deep sleep state. What if the Master Sword just exploded into a million pieces, and the small bits reflected some divine light onto the whole world, keeping it away from evil, I don't know, give me something powerful like that!

Because the Master Sword still had to be used by Link in Ocarina of Time and others. Skyward Sword is a prequel.

ßleck

Console Peasant
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I thought the ending was pretty cool.
(Though maybe Link is asexual or gay, who knows.)
At the end Zelda asks Link what he plans to do, right? Well, he had this look in his eyes and a creepy smile towards Zelda that pretty much showed us what he intended to do. Demise does mention his reincarnations will haunt Link and Zelda's descendants... So, they must have been doing something. :tpi:

shinkodachi

On permanent leave
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Because the Master Sword still had to be used by Link in Ocarina of Time and others. Skyward Sword is a prequel.
Like I said, I've never cared about the story before. I know that Skyward Sword is the origin story, which is why this time I actually sat down and listened to what everyone had to say. I know the Master Sword is required in later games, as I said I've played LttP. That still doesn't mean the Master Sword couldn't have broken into pieces and later formed complete by some divine power. This is fantasy after all, not everything has to follow logic. I'm not buying that explanation "because it's canon".

ßleck: LOL. Then at least show something! The game is rated for kids 12 years or older. That's plenty old to see AT LEAST the two holding hands at the end. I guess the reason I'm pissed off, after all the trials, after constantly haing to prove yourself to everyone in the game, you still don't get booty at the end. Why? :(

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Like I said, I've never cared about the story before. I know that Skyward Sword is the origin story, which is why this time I actually sat down and listened to what everyone had to say. I know the Master Sword is required in later games, as I said I've played LttP. That still doesn't mean the Master Sword couldn't have broken into pieces and later formed complete by some divine power. This is fantasy after all, not everything has to follow logic. I'm not buying that explanation "because it's canon".

There's no reason to break it, and it just overcomplicates things.

The ending was perfectly fine. It was simple, colorful, [potentially] emotional, and wrapped things up in a nice neat bow. Again, minus the potential time travel paradox, I wouldn't have done anything differently. What you are describing would have come out of nowhere, contradicted what is required of future games, and would have overcomplicated things. In order for it to be a good ending, one cannot be blindsided by something seemingly came out of nowhere and is effectively purposeless.

shinkodachi

On permanent leave
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
I guess Lacius we just have to agree to disagree. Like I said, I never cared about the Zelda story. To me, these games have always been about hack and slash, just much deeper than e.g. Devil May Cry and with good puzzles. I'm not a Zelda fan per se, but I have played and completed Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, A Link to the Past, and Minish Cap. All of them great games even without a story IMO. (If you're into that kind of thing.)

With Skyward Sword I wanted to put myself into a position where I try to absorb as much of the story as possible. The ending to me didn't deliver the feeling of satisfaction that the game is complete. It actually left me pissed off. I don't care about the Zelda timeline. Since this was a prequel, it had a set premise and any actual Zelda fan should've known how it ended even without playing the game. That said and keeping in mind this Zelda game was made to be more accessible to non-Zelda fans as well (with stuff like the Sheikah and Gossip stones, Fi, etc.) I was disappointed that it didn't make me want to play more Zelda games after completing it. Quite the contrary, I'm not sure I'm looking forward to "Zelda U" any longer. Which is stupid, because I am not a fan and this game should have appealed to me. But if it takes an actual fan to appreciate it, from beginning to end, well, maybe Miyamoto & co tried to make something that was bigger than they could handle. At least, that's how I feel.

I fully respect the views of others here, and from looking around the web a bit, it seems there's a 50/50 divide between those who liked it and those who didn't. At least I know that I'm not the only person in the world criticizing the ending. Oh, well. Time to play a new series...

Bimmel

~ Game Soundtrack Collector ~
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
The game is rated for kids 12 years or older. That's plenty old to see AT LEAST the two holding hands at the end.
'cus Nintendo likes the old fashioned way. Zelda and Link doesn't even have to hold hands.

If you think for a minute, than it will become clear to you. The game ITSELF give you the correct explanation.

Don't know what I mean? Click on Show.

large-funny-stork1.gif

Storks! :toot:

newo

Trophies
Website
wiibrew.org
XP
Country
Jamaica
@shinkodachi Sorry to say but you might never feel like how you felt when you beat Shadow of the Colossi. That game aside from the frame rate was dam near perfect in a empty dreary infinite abyss kinda way .

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    ButterScott101 @ ButterScott101: +1