trans_bar.gif
trans_bar.gif

Inu268

woof
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
read the nfo....u can get crazy power ups ...i remember getting fire balls and ice balls on htat michael jordan snes game it wass cool....it wasnt a basket game b ut it was cool XD

bluemax

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As odd as this may sound to some the Backyard Sports franchise has produced some of the better GBA sports games. Backyard football was like a goofy and somewhat easier version of the old Tecmo Bowl games. Backyard Baseball was a bit like Baseball Simulator 1.000 and Dusty Diamonds Softball Allstars. Given the dearth of quality basketball games on the GBA this might be worth a look.

Opium

PogoShell it to me ™
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Australia
Hey, this game isn't half bad. Quite nice, especially for a 32mbit game. A good time filler between big releases.
Like chetzboy I'm also having a bit of trouble trying to block their shots. What are all the button combinations?

A- shoot
B- Pass
L-?
R-?

bluemax

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Controls:

Offense:
A- Shoot
B- Pass
L- Spin Move
R- Turbo (not sure on this but it seems to be)

Defense:
A- Jump
B- Switch players
L- Steal
R- Turbo

My thoughts on this, I tried it first on the easiest difficulty and romped in pick up game mode. So I switched to the hardest difficulty and made a team for "Season Mode". My team was Viki Kawaguchi, Ray Allen, Tracy McGrady, Shaq and a created player. First game, I jumped out to an early lead and seemed to be hitting a decent number of threes. In the second quarter I put in my mediocre created player and one of my other subs and the computer caught up a bit. Third quarter I went back to the starters and the computer just got unreal, hitting everything from three point land while I couldn't hit a shot. 4th quarter I managed to kept up a bit, but I still lost by a heft margin. Tried another game with similar results, when the computer gets going it's nearly unstoppable. The random powerups are annoying as hell, especially the ice cream truck because you can't stop your players from running to the truck.

So I tried again, this time I turned off powerups. The game played a bit more reasonably, but I noticed the computer still grabs a good 10 plus more rebounds per game than you do. Seems like the game expects you to do all the work on defense while your other players just stand there. Without shot control assist on three point shooting seems kind of iffy, although I still seemed to hit a high percentage which was odd. Free throws are about a 50-50 proposition (or 0% if it's Shaq). If I was to play multiplayer I'd hack every play because freethrow shooting is so iffy. On offense using a character with good handling and inside scoring you can spin move and lay it in with ease about 80% of the time.

Other things, the bonuses awarded at the end of the game for a created player are nice, but considering how mediocre they start unless you play on a low difficulty it might be hard to boost some attributes. The game does a nice job of keep tracking of the important BBall stats, I haven't played through an entire season yet but it would be cool to see how that goes. I wish difficulty was a bit more customizeable, but for a kids game it's not bad. There's plenty of modes including multiplayer (not sure if that's single cartridge or no).

In summary, the game has it's flaws but it's probably the best hoops game on GBA. Not a pure simulation by any stretch, but if you're a fan of loose arcadey basketball this one can be enjoyable.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkYA4rALqEE