1667 - Backyard Basketball (U)

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by djgarf, Sep 24, 2004.

Sep 24, 2004

1667 - Backyard Basketball (U) by djgarf at 11:40 AM (1,612 Views / 0 Likes) 16 replies

1. djgarf
    OP

Former Staff djgarf I Am A Raver

Featured Posts:
    United Kingdom
    [​IMG][​IMG]1667 - Backyard Basketball [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG][/p][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]Release Group:ChameleonSave Type:EEPROM_V124ROM Size:32Mbit
    Publisher:
    InfogramesRegion:Usa
    ROM Serial:
    AGB-AYBE-USALanguage(s):
    English

View NFO:

Click Here[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. benzxi

Member benzxi GBAtemp Regular

Featured Posts:
    Philippines
    i was actually waitin for this.. heh. nice release

3. pitman

Member pitman Addicted to Magical Girls

Featured Posts:
    Israel
    Does it have anything special or its just an ordinary basketball game with tiny children ?

4. xtc

Member xtc GBAtemp Regular

Featured Posts:
    Canada
    i would like to know also

5. redviper

Newcomer redviper Advanced Member

Featured Posts:
    Germany
    I guess it has something special... Backyard Football was kinda special, too [​IMG] Very sweet

6. zedy

zedy Newbie

Kinda neat

7. skarthebloodchild

Member skarthebloodchild Keep It Old School

Featured Posts:
    Greece
    it looks cute...
    /me go to download it

8. Jei

Member Jei Translator and romhacker wannabe

Featured Posts:
    Brazil
    Double Dribble was one of my favourite games on Nes... I think it's time to download a newer basketball game [​IMG]

9. Inu268

Member Inu268 woof

Featured Posts:
    Brazil
    read the nfo....u can get crazy power ups ...i remember getting fire balls and ice balls on htat michael jordan snes game it wass cool....it wasnt a basket game b ut it was cool XD

10. blue99

Member blue99 The Original Fake

Featured Posts:
    Canada
    Only thing i know is that the players are baesd on real NBA players

11. DeMoN

Member DeMoN GBAtemp Guru

Featured Posts:
    United States
    Wow another USa release. Dumb and boring but it's always good to have more USA releases.

12. bluemax

Member bluemax GBAtemp Regular

Featured Posts:
    United States
    As odd as this may sound to some the Backyard Sports franchise has produced some of the better GBA sports games. Backyard football was like a goofy and somewhat easier version of the old Tecmo Bowl games. Backyard Baseball was a bit like Baseball Simulator 1.000 and Dusty Diamonds Softball Allstars. Given the dearth of quality basketball games on the GBA this might be worth a look.

13. Dark_Lord Malik

Member Dark_Lord Malik Proud Pakistani

Featured Posts:
    Pakistan
    I liked Backyard Series. It`s good to see a new Backyard game.

14. chetzboy

Member chetzboy The Best Navi in the World

Featured Posts:
    Indonesia
    this game is fun!! but its very hard for me to block the shots [​IMG]
    nice game!! [​IMG]

15. Opium

Former Staff Opium PogoShell it to me ™

Featured Posts:
    Australia
    Hey, this game isn't half bad. Quite nice, especially for a 32mbit game. A good time filler between big releases.
    Like chetzboy I'm also having a bit of trouble trying to block their shots. What are all the button combinations?

A- shoot
    B- Pass
    L-?
    R-?

16. DeMoN

Member DeMoN GBAtemp Guru

Featured Posts:
    United States
    Ironic how the title screen has a gym as the background while the title of the game is Backyard Basketball.

17. bluemax

Member bluemax GBAtemp Regular

Featured Posts:
    United States
    Controls:

Offense:
    A- Shoot
    B- Pass
    L- Spin Move
    R- Turbo (not sure on this but it seems to be)

Defense:
    A- Jump
    B- Switch players
    L- Steal
    R- Turbo

My thoughts on this, I tried it first on the easiest difficulty and romped in pick up game mode. So I switched to the hardest difficulty and made a team for "Season Mode". My team was Viki Kawaguchi, Ray Allen, Tracy McGrady, Shaq and a created player. First game, I jumped out to an early lead and seemed to be hitting a decent number of threes. In the second quarter I put in my mediocre created player and one of my other subs and the computer caught up a bit. Third quarter I went back to the starters and the computer just got unreal, hitting everything from three point land while I couldn't hit a shot. 4th quarter I managed to kept up a bit, but I still lost by a heft margin. Tried another game with similar results, when the computer gets going it's nearly unstoppable. The random powerups are annoying as hell, especially the ice cream truck because you can't stop your players from running to the truck.

So I tried again, this time I turned off powerups. The game played a bit more reasonably, but I noticed the computer still grabs a good 10 plus more rebounds per game than you do. Seems like the game expects you to do all the work on defense while your other players just stand there. Without shot control assist on three point shooting seems kind of iffy, although I still seemed to hit a high percentage which was odd. Free throws are about a 50-50 proposition (or 0% if it's Shaq). If I was to play multiplayer I'd hack every play because freethrow shooting is so iffy. On offense using a character with good handling and inside scoring you can spin move and lay it in with ease about 80% of the time.

Other things, the bonuses awarded at the end of the game for a created player are nice, but considering how mediocre they start unless you play on a low difficulty it might be hard to boost some attributes. The game does a nice job of keep tracking of the important BBall stats, I haven't played through an entire season yet but it would be cool to see how that goes. I wish difficulty was a bit more customizeable, but for a kids game it's not bad. There's plenty of modes including multiplayer (not sure if that's single cartridge or no).

In summary, the game has it's flaws but it's probably the best hoops game on GBA. Not a pure simulation by any stretch, but if you're a fan of loose arcadey basketball this one can be enjoyable.