1. Lily

Lily One Scary Lady
    Former Staff

Canada
    Ah, English shots of FF1 & 2. Sweet! Here's hoping that DKC2 (in the picture) isn't as butchered as DKC was in the porting process.

2. Darkforce

Darkforce DERP!
    Former Staff

Well you could always check out the (E) and (J) releases of DKC2... it was a better port IMO though I thought you'd know that because you commented in the (E) release yourself...

[​IMG]

3. Dragons Master

Dragons Master Advanced Member

Iceland
    [​IMG] well why are you so surprised of finding FF 1&2 for 'em 2 platforms look feel and sound alike? those 2 aren't new games u know, If i was to create Mario 1 again for say PS2 and GC, u won't see it all 3D and u won't see much or any difference between it..

4. Lily

Lily One Scary Lady
    Former Staff

Canada
    [​IMG]

I don't have a flashcart at the moment for myself, so I can't play it on my newly acquired SP. Playing the game via emulator and playing it on real hardware are actually two different experiences. I never believed it until I could try it. [​IMG] That's why I'm waiting for the (U), so I can actually buy it and play it. I'm hoping it plays better than the first, which I played on a friends SP. It's definitely better on the emulator than the first one was, but I want to see what it's like on the real hardware.

5. Mugen

Mugen Suspended
    Suspended

6. YohKunz

YohKunz Newbie
    Newcomer

Senegal
    [​IMG] the picture very nice...

7. Ce.Acatl

Ce.Acatl Member
    Newcomer

Mexico
    i hope that this game relase in a momment very near

8. dib

dib GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    The entire game balance is much different. I actually managed to lose two party members when I encountered a giant and two creeps on the way to Matoya's cave. Never even seen giants on the way to the cave before, much less lost a character until the marsh. But I love how the new mechanics work out. Having mp is great since mages are no longer useless, and intelligent targetting has relieved much of the frutstration in the first game. As well as less menus, like the hit number appearing aside the characters, makes battles go much quicker now.

The good news is those kyzokus seem to be less rare, which means earning gold for isn't so difficult once you have the ship. But the question is, where did the silver sword go? The point in earning the gold was to afford that (insanely too expensive) 4,000gp sword, and now it's gone. It was a miserable point in the game earning up all that money, especially if you had multiple fighters, but I guess they decided it wasn't balanced.

As for the bugs, the invisible person in Coneria is missing now.

9. Virulent

Virulent Newbie
    Newcomer

Gambia, The
    Has anyone made a fix for FF2 on this cart yet? Or is there a redump out now?

10. Takeshi

Takeshi GBAtemp Addict

Germany
    ff2 works fine for me ... what was the exact problem with it??

11. Elrinth

Elrinth :Master beyond your imagination:

Missing or is gone? [​IMG]

The things I don't like about FF1 and 2, are:
    * You start by naming ALL characters, and you begin with em. (well 3 in FF2, but you still name all 4 of em)
    * There are no new characters to find, which I really love in the other ones.
    * You cannot defend in battle?

As the answer to the guy who says FF2 isn't working.. IT IS!

12. neveras

neveras GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    There was a copy that was floating around that had ff2 not working, I think that's the one that was being sold in China
    However there is a good release that has it playab;e

13. AngelHunter

AngelHunter Newbie

Bah. I dunno what's the point with this port. I mean first the remakes were released on Wonderswan, then on PSX, now they decided to make it portable to be ships anywhere else in the world and ported it to GBA.

14. hikarushindo

hikarushindo Advanced Member

Senegal
    @Elrinth : There is indeed a non-working copy. I got it =/

@AngelHunter: No one knows why either, but I believe it is targetted at the kids, or teens who didn't really get to experience the NES times.

But game itself is sweet, though I still hate getting poisoned so easily.

15. Dragonlord

Dragonlord Linux-Dragon of quick wit and sharp tongue

Swaziland
    you already had the chance to get some dragons in this one? then i might try it out [​IMG]

16. Gadzookie

Gadzookie Banned
    Banned

United States
    ok i cant wait for this game to release who wants to build a time machine and get me a copy ???? i saw back to the future 3 times so i know it can be done !

17. No Name Trowa Barton

No Name Trowa Barton Namaiki iun-ja naiyo™

United States
    FF1 when you get the airship... its in 3d like in 4 purty sweet. i need to BUY the english version when it comes out. (i suport Square-Enix)

18. dib

dib GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    The characters, at least in FF1, are anonymous. You have to remember these are the first two games of the series, so naturally it took until later games to develop many ideas. You can't expect for them to have invented every aspect of FF6, for example, right off on the first try.

You do find new characters, at least by what I remember of FF2. It's been a long time since I played that game, but I remember it worked more like FF4 than either FF1 or 3 did.

And lastly, who in the hell defends in battle? You don't win fights by sitting around and taking damage. If your character has nothing interesting to do, just have them hit something.

And FF2 doesn't work. At least not on some of the roms first released, because mine doesn't. You start FF2 and it freezes at a blank white screen. The music continues playing, but the controls are locked and you can't even reset without turning off the power.

19. Gadzookie

Gadzookie Banned
    Banned

United States
    yeah were the hell is defend ! ? im i missing somthing ?

20. Tempest Stormwin

Tempest Stormwin Kweisatz Haderach
    Former Staff

Canada
    Defend simply isn't in FF1, but I seem to recall it in FF2 (might be thinking of FF3, which is still my favorite of the NES titles and actually fairly high up on the overall rating as well). If it's there, scroll off the battle command window, just like in later Final Fantasy titles (except 8).

I've been known to defend in the past as well, and in fact it's key to beating Omega Weapon in 8 (Yes, I did it without relying on the usual cornball strategy of "refine all your cards into Holy Wars and summon Eden over and over". Mine involved no summons except Cerberus, no Holy Wars or Heros, and took him down faster and more reliably since I'm not boosting).

FF2 was the first one to introduce set names for the characters, and personalities. They kept the personality idea in FF3, but lost the names (for some unknown reason). Then FF4 hit and we all know the story from there.

-Tempest out.-

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - Advanced, Fantasy, Final