1592 - Puyo Puyo Fever (J)

Dais

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, I just finished it last night, that's why I mentioned it.

Too bad I'll never have a chance to play the later games in the series....the Saturn one looks beautiful.

shadow theory

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Darkforce what's the difference between DC & Xbox version?
The Xbox version had the 3D thing for when you get ride of large chains. (The screen sorta pans around the pile as they disappear.)

I have the dreamcast version and anyone saying this is a tetris clone is only partially right. There is the same premise but it shares nothing with tetris otherwise. It's like saying Earthbound and Final Fantasy 6 are clones of one another, they have a same premise but play entirely different.

kikuchiyo

大阪に生まれた男
Trophies
Website
coin-battle.com
XP
Country
United States
Too bad I'll never have a chance to play the later games in the series....the Saturn one looks beautiful.

Saturn emulators are coming along pretty well. I haven't played the game in Japanese but I don't think it would be more complex than a little kana and maybe some very basic kanji.

Opium

PogoShell it to me ™
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Australia
Hey this game isn't half bad! It's very addictive, certainly one of the better puzzle games for the gba and it's great that you can play it in english. I'm putting this one on my cart.

Dark_Lord Malik

Proud Pakistani
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Pakistan
I don`t like Puyo Puyo Fever. I will stick with RPG`s only. I like Sega cuz whichever game they make they have a multi language support why Nintendo doesn`t do this with other games then it would be cool

Lily

One Scary Lady
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Sweeeeet!
biggrin.gif
Er, are you being sarcastic?
huh.gif
No way, Puyo Puyo is awesome.
smile.gif

Darkforce

DERP!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Darkforce what's the difference between DC & Xbox version?
Well the PS2, X-Box and GC versions have the Puyos modeled in 3D (instead of 2D sprites) and so like shadow theory said the camera pans around a bit every time you get a chain. This is actually really annoying IMO but thankfully you can turn it off...even so though the 2D Puyos on the DC look cuter and seem a little more animated.

The DC version is also very slightly harder (you get a second less bonus time for all clears in Fever mode or something minor). The DC version however seems to give easier setups so full clears are easier to achieve...well that's what it seems like when anyway. (This actually makes the game a lot more fun IMO).

Aside from that the DC version offers some VMU extras like a 3D interface and Puyo themed wallpaper for the DC menu.

Overall though unless you're a massive DC fan it's not really worth importing it... the other versions are cheaper. The DC version is easy to "aquire" though, it has a pretty small file size as well if you catch my drift.
wink.gif

On another note I don't know about the US or Jap versions but on the European GC version at least the game only has English voice options only. The manual states Japanese being an option just like in the DC version but unfortunately it's not to be found in the game. This might not sound like a big deal but the English voice acting almost makes the game unbearable. It's repetitive, annoying and just so bad it's occasionally funny. The camp skeleton Oshare Bones is a particulary good example who has lines like 'call the fashion police', 'how rude!', 'I am doing you a favor' and 'talk to the hand', or the frog Donguri Gaeru who says nothing but 'ribbit!' the entire time... the main character Amitie also gets annoying after a while especially in the "story mode", take this extract for example:

Oshare Bones: Hey you there in the deathly uncool clothes!
Amitie: Get real! Who are you calling uncool!
Oshare Bones: On the contrary, just who are you calling uncool? I just can't figure out why you're so uncool
Amitie: Get really real! Now you've ticked me off!
Oshare Bones: Oh-ho-ho! If you're so mortified then we'll have to Puyo Pop to seperate the cool from the uncool.

I know you can skip it (and thank God at that) but listening to the English voices will make your ears bleed! I just hope Sega Europe don't take away the Japanese voices for the GBA version and replace them with the English ones for a European release (assuming one happens that is).

But yeah...anyway, talking about the GBA version... it's a pretty nice port on the whole. The BGM is a bit messed up and some of the graphics have taken a beating (the special effects characters make during chains for example) but the gameplay survives intact. Can't see this being taken off my flash cart for quite some time.

smile.gif

p.s Anyone think I should wear my old Puyo Pop Fever Sig again?
puyopopfever.gif

ShadowXP

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Darkforce, I was just trying to make a Puyo Pop Fever sig this morning! You beat me to it! LOL, it rocks, you really should wear it.
smile.gif

Shadow

Lily

One Scary Lady
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Darkforce, that's a great Puyo Puyo sig. Very appropriate.
smile.gif
Not only that, but you're bang on with those English voices - what the heck were they thinking??

THE FROZEN, it's practically a crime to have no four player support. Same thing happened with Teenage Mutant Ninja/Hero Turtles, too.
frown.gif

MonkeyHead79

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Well, after playing the GBA version a bit, I can honesly say I liked the previous Puyo games a lot more. Know why? Because they COMPLETELY destroyed the game with Fever mode. I mean, really, the setup is unbelievably lame. You get a point closer to Fever mode by waiting until your opponent sends annoyance blocks over your way, then you counter them. This makes the game one of those types where you have to place your pieces as slooowly as possible sometimes, which is really lame.
dry.gif
Then, once in Fever mode, you can completely PWN your opponent with no effort whatsoever, provided your timing is right. Whatever happened to setting up insanely long chain reactions on your own? What they SHOULD'VE done is give you a point towards Fever mode whenever you get a x4 chain reaction or above, or something like that. Or at least give the option of turning Fever mode off.

In short, FEVER MODE = SUXXOR.
mad.gif

shadow theory

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Well, after playing the GBA version a bit, I can honesly say I liked the previous Puyo games a lot more. Know why? Because they COMPLETELY destroyed the game with Fever mode. I mean, really, the setup is unbelievably lame. You get a point closer to Fever mode by waiting until your opponent sends annoyance blocks over your way, then you counter them. This makes the game one of those types where you have to place your pieces as slooowly as possible sometimes, which is really lame.
dry.gif
Then, once in Fever mode, you can completely PWN your opponent with no effort whatsoever, provided your timing is right. Whatever happened to setting up insanely long chain reactions on your own? What they SHOULD'VE done is give you a point towards Fever mode whenever you get a x4 chain reaction or above, or something like that. Or at least give the option of turning Fever mode off.

In short, FEVER MODE = SUXXOR.
mad.gif
It allows for matches that can sway either way very quickly. Sure you could go slowly about putting your Puyo's down, but being the first into Fever mode can be very risky. (If a person goes in right behind you they can then drop nuisance puyo's into your fever mode.)

So the Fever mode adds a dimension to the gameplay and also keeps matches from being incredibly long. (Me and my buds play all the time so we are all very good, without Fever our matches usually last until one of us just grows tired and quits.)

I think it's a great change, though in the console version I'm pretty sure you can play without Fever mode. (At least in the DC one.)

Also, about the voices, they were over the top, but I like cheese, so hearing "Get really, real!" just made me laugh.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: