128kb GBA saves not possible on SuperCard SD?

Discussion in 'GBA - Flashing Hardware and Software' started by Kresjah, Jul 18, 2008.

Jul 18, 2008
  1. Kresjah
    OP

Newcomer Kresjah Newbie

Norway
    To make a long story short, I have my GBA and a few GBA games that uses Flash1M saves (128kb sized .sav files) which I want to be able to play on my SuperCard. Whatever I do, it seems the SuperCard won't support any bigger saves than 64kb .sav... which I found out after buying it.

I've been doing a bunch of research and tests to no avail, still doesn't work. Is there any way to get 128kb .sav saves to work on the SuperCard SD? Is it true that there is no way to get it to save 128kb saves? In which case, is it impossible due to the SuperCard hardware, or is it a firmware issue that the SuperCard team could really have fixed?

Thanks in advance.

2. Rayder

Former Staff Rayder Mostly lurking lately....

United States
    I'm not sure about the 128k saves, but you could always just use the real-time save function. Wouldn't that work?

3. Kresjah
    OP

Newcomer Kresjah Newbie

Norway
    I've never had any success with real-time saves. Whenever I try to load them (start the game, push the button combo for real-time save, and then select load) I get a blank screen. They also take up more space on the SD card.

I know that some games (that use 128kb saves) require to be able to save at certain points in order to progress (e.g., when winning over Pokémon leagues in the GBA Pokémon games, it forces you to save). However, I've never progressed to those points yet to see if the SuperCard just fails to save 128kb to the SD, or if it fails to save the full 128kb to SRAM.

And I wouldn't want the nasty surprise of spending hours and days (and quite possibly weeks) to play to a certain point, only to have it fail to save properly, then corrupt the save.

If anyone could tell me how to get my real-time saving up and running, it would work as a temporary solution, but it would still not be what I'm looking for.

4. DanTheManMS

Member DanTheManMS aka Ricochet Otter

United States
    What exactly have you tried so far? I have never used my Supercard for 128 KB saves, but I imagine that the QPC method of saving might work. To do this, save in-game, then turn off the DS/GBA and then quickly turn it back on IN GBA MODE. Press Right to get to the Saver tab, navigate to the *.sav file, and press A twice.

It might work, it might not, I'm not really sure. It's worth a try though.

5. Kresjah
    OP

Newcomer Kresjah Newbie

Norway
    Forgot to say that I have indeed tried QPC. Considering I have a GBA and not a DS, I can guarantee you I'm in GBA mode [​IMG]

QPC only dumps 64kb, which is why I'm suspecting it's either a hardware limitation, or a firmware limitation. However, it would be nice to have confirmation on the issue if nothing else.

I've been fiddling more with real-time saves, and I've finally got it working in some games, so I'm using it as a temporary solution... which brings me to another question. Is there any tools out the that can take the SuperCard .sci save states (real time saves) and convert them into a format usable by e.g. VisualBoy Advance or other emulators and/or cards?