128GB MicroSD only showing as 32GB (29.1)

Discussion in 'Switch - Console, Accessories & Hardware' started by Grimy, Aug 24, 2019.

1. arianadark

arianadark GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 20, 2016
    United States
    fake sd card being masked as a larger one

2. DaniPoo

DaniPoo GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 2, 2013
    Thats my guess as well. But he never actually gave us the full story about the card.

A warning to everyone once again.
    ALWAYS GET YOUR MICROSD CARDS FROM TRUSTED SOURCES WITH GOOD RETURN POLICIES!!
    If the price seems too good to be true then it probably is.

wicksand420 likes this.
  3. Grimy
    OP

Grimy Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 19, 2019
    United States
    Yeah I tried and it still showed it as 32

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Bought it from gamestop it came with an adapter its a sandisk ultra 128GB

*snip*

That guide didn't do shit for me, I am assuming its a windows issue cause everywhere I looked people keep saying only win 10 allows you to format it in exfat that makes it 128gb.

Tried it all except for the shell, did any of you actually own windows 7 and tried formatting a 128gb card before?

Last edited by porkiewpyne, Aug 24, 2019 - Reason: If you are going to be a prick, then don't bother to post at all.
  4. tabzer

tabzer GBAtemp Fan

Feb 15, 2019
    Japan
    It's gotta lot of jibber-jabber like "hi guys, before we get started, let me explain what FAT32 is". Your lmgtfy link was more direct and shows how "helpful" you intend on being.

If it's a fake being masked it would format at 128GB but only work for 32GB worth of data, no?

I have W7 and am able to format my 128GB and 400GB cards as FAT32 or exFat. What do you see when you look at the partitions like @Hayato213 suggested? Something does seems broken about the card if guiformat doesn't do the trick, but it could be that your sd reader/hardware can't support it for some reason.

Sorry, no more help to offer here.

phonz likes this.
  5. DaniPoo

DaniPoo GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 2, 2013
    There are different ways to fake microSD size.
    Could be that only some devices detect 128gb while other don't. If it's a brand new card there shouldn't be anything weird going on with the partitions. But still worth having a look in the device manager like you suggested just in case.

6. Grimy
    OP

Grimy Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 19, 2019
    United States
    Partition shows it as 29. But when I format it using the switch its 119? Its a brand new card I bought from a store it was sealed there's no way it was used before. Perhaps it is my hardware like you said? I have no clue, I am getting Win10 as I am writing this message to see if I'll be able to format it then.

7. wiewiec

wiewiec GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 24, 2015
    Poland
    Somewhere
    Seriously he could also use MiniTool Partition Wizard (free), but I also check aby card that I bought that is not fake my H2testw, I always recommend to anybody here who have problems with sd cards.

8. Mat37

Mat37 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 3, 2016
    France
    Does it matter ?
    What you could do is use diskpart to wipe completely your card (even all partitions will get deleted)
    To launch it do Win+R, write "diskpart" and hit ok, or you can search for it in the taskbar like for any other program (make sure to launch it as admin)
    Then type "list disk", it should show every device connected to your PC.
    Type "select disk X", where X is the number of your card (be really careful to actually select your card and not another drive, if you're not sure, post a screenshot or either don't do it at all)
    Once done, write "clean", which delete everything on the card at the point that even the file explorer won't recognize anything at all.
    Next type "create partition primary", it will create a partition on your card
    Then "active", iirc the file explorer should prompt you to format it
    At this point you can format in the prompt or in diskpart using "format fs=exfat" (i believe fat32 won't work if it's a real 128GB card but no worries if everything works good you can use a 3rd party fat32 formatter afterwards.

9. goncalodoom

goncalodoom GBAtemp Fan

Sep 12, 2009
    Portugal
    portugal
    SD formatter already does that, his card is fake that's it.

wiewiec likes this.
  10. pasc

pasc Newbie

This.
    Noticable, when you overshoot the valube by copying and it suddenly "spits errors".
    Fake drive check programs exist.

To make sure, buy your flashdrives from your local reseller.

Last edited Aug 24, 2019
    wiewiec likes this.
  11. Hayato213

Hayato213 GBAtemp Guru

Dec 26, 2015
    United States
    He probably got a fake card , first thing to do when getting a new sd card is to run a h2testw test on it.

wicksand420 and wiewiec like this.
  12. Deathwing Zero

Deathwing Zero GBAtemp Regular

May 22, 2010
    Canada
    Can-uh-duh
    To everyone screaming "Fake SD card" that isn't necessarily true. I had the exact same issue when I was using an older SD card reader to try and format a 64gb sd card. It didn't support SDXC so it couldn't read the correct size of the card. @Grimy see if you can get a newer card reader.

DarknessPlay3r and tabzer like this.
  13. tabzer

tabzer GBAtemp Fan

Feb 15, 2019
    Japan

I agree with @Deathwing Zero. Everyone here saying to do h2testw doesn't seem to realize that his computer only recognizes 32GB of the SD card, no matter what program he uses. That means h2testw is going to only test 32 GB, and say "your "32GB SDcard is most likely not fake." Like none of you are thinking it through. I don't know if anybody has had a fake card before, but fake cards don't work like that. Fake cards trick your systems into seeing it as larger than it is. This is exactly the opposite. The Switch would be able to test 128GB, because it can see that much, but not the PC.

@Grimy, this is good advice. For anyone who doubts that this is the best advice: http://letmegooglethat.com/?q=sdxc+vs+sdhc (@DaniPoo)

@MAXLEMPIRA, thanks for being completely un-useful!

Last edited by tabzer, Aug 25, 2019
  14. Grimy
    OP

Grimy Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 19, 2019
    United States
    Which one would you recommend?

15. tabzer

tabzer GBAtemp Fan

Feb 15, 2019
    Japan
    Your sdcard reader is probably an older sdhc reader, but you need a newer sdxc reader.

16. Grimy
    OP

Grimy Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 19, 2019
    United States
    The card reader I am using is SDHC 150x. Here let me show you:https://www.mwave.com.au/product/-sdhc-150x-usb-20-card-reader-aa63152
    My SanDisk Ultra is XC1 128GB. Can anyone link me to a card reader that'll work with my SanDisk? I can't find shit locally, but if its on Amazon I can get it no problem. Thanks in advance guys.

17. Grimy
    OP

Grimy Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 19, 2019
    United States
  18. AaronUzumaki

AaronUzumaki A.K.A. Ecstasy Espeon

GBAtemp Patron
    AaronUzumaki is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Feb 8, 2009
    United States
    Akron, Ohio
    Get this one:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OJ5WBUE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's the one I use and I can confirm it works great.

19. tabzer

tabzer GBAtemp Fan

Feb 15, 2019
    Japan
    either should work. I usually rely on reviews.

20. pasc

pasc Newbie

On topic of "hw2test" being non sufficient:
    The other tools I could recommend would be "ChipGenius_v4_00_0030" or "Flash_Drive_Tester_v114".

Then again... *if* his drive is legit, but busted, I'm not sure in how much it will help. Probably not . at. all...

Eitherhow, if it isn't working as it is supoosed to (and can't be fixed)
    it's worthless to keep talking about it, and just get a new one.

Still, make sure to not buy you cards from shady vendors.. online...
    Don't be cheap on that.

(2 Pages is enough already... Everything relevant has been said)

Last edited Aug 25, 2019