Hacking 128GB flash drive as WBFS storage not working??

chill8888

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm no noob by any sort, however, I can't seem to find a thread on any site addressing this issue; only one referencing the 64gb PNY Attache as "intermittently operable"... so I'm not sure if the size of the flash drive is the issue, or the write/read speed, etc.

The drive I'm using is called "UDisk" when plugged into my computer, but there is no branding on the actual stick. It looks identical to this one: https://www.xicomputer.com/products/prodimages/32-Wintec-Filemate-Swivel.jpg minus the brand logo.

It works just fine when I have about 4-5 games loaded on it, and uploads games at approx 6mbps using Wii Game Manager 1.5.0.2. But then if I load more games (~10-14gb total space), the write speed drops to an embarrassing 1.02mbps average, and then when I boot up my usual USB Loader GX 3.0, the games are visible, however the title sequence does not even cycle when I highlight the new game, it's just a black background, no audio; and if I try to start the game, it loads me back to the Wii channels, not even USB Loader. Oddly, the first uploaded games still boot fine.

I have no issues with my 16gb PNY flash drive. I'm running IOS249[56] and 250[57] both d2x-v8-final, even tried d2x-v10-beta52. No luck.

Any ideas or solutions?? Thank you so much!

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Could be a fake, meaning the actual storage space is lower than the reported space, so if you try to put more things on it than the flash storage can fit, you get corrupted data.

SomeWeirdSin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The_Randomizer is right. Also, FAT32 format is much more stable, and is just more useful. You can use WiiBackUpManager to convert all your backups to .wbfs format.

SomeWeirdSin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow, I can't believe we all over-looked that glaring contradiction. Good call DinohScene. For the same price, you could get a 1 TB HDD to store all your games. Look up a HDD compatibility list before hand so you don't get a bum drive.

chill8888

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Jdbye, I can't imagine the drive having a fake reported space, considering I've copied and transferred back and forth up to 90gb of data/games on it before formatting it to WBFS.

Randomizer, "I have no issues with my 16gb PNY flash drive." I've been using WBFS for years flawlessly. And I'm not a fan of Configurable USB.

DinohScene, I got the flash drive for $12 black friday, and I personally prefer a non-spinning storage unit.

If I ABSOLUTELY must, I can try other methods. But I would still like to know if others have had this problem, and how they fixed it, preferably without buying new devices.

Thank you for your responses thus far :)

(h2wtest is running right now with about 11 hours remaining because of the 1mbps write speed after it hit ~10gb, started at 7.96mbps. I'll post data when it's finished.)

chill8888

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Seems that Jdbye was partially correct. The drive was able to write typical files within the <1gb range, but not able to write larger files. The more sizable games were unable to copy fully, and had errors on the Wii.

Thank you for all your responses!

yes, it says 466
Trophies
Website
466frfx.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I strongly suggest using Wii Backup Manager - it will help you format your drives and transfer your games, as it's capable of stripping the unnecessary partitions, splitting files and converting them to the right format on-the-fly.

So let me see:
Use wbfs files for games.
Use Wii Backup Manager to format the USB drive and put games on the USB.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night