11.00.33J New 3DS - What are my options?

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by SonioNineteen, Dec 18, 2016.

1. SonioNineteen
    OP

SonioNineteen Member

Newcomer
    Dec 18, 2016
    So here's my scenario I have two 3DS systems, one is PAL and has A9LH Luma 3ds successfully installed and the other is a JPN New 3DS XL 11.00.33J which I recently received as a gift.

My question is what are my options for installing a CFW for my New 3DS?

Also is it possible to system transfer my A9LH Old 3DS to the New 3DS?

2. RupeeClock

RupeeClock Colors 3D Snivy!

May 15, 2008
    Since the two 3DS systems are of different regions, it won't be possible to perform a system transfer.
    But I think you could possibly change the region of your already hacked O3DS and use that to help hack your JP N3DS.

https://3ds.guide/region-changing

There is also a 3DS and Wii U hacking presentation being held at 33c3 on December 27th, at that time some interesting new exploits could be revealed, so it might be worth waiting a little while.

3. SonioNineteen
    OP

SonioNineteen Member

Newcomer
    Dec 18, 2016
    Will the A9LH features be transfer over during system transfer?

4. RupeeClock

May 15, 2008
    No, the A9LH hack is installed to the system itself.
    During a system transfer, the hack stays on the source system, it will not be removed or transferred.
    However, what you can transfer across are DSiWare titles including their modified .app and .sav files, which allow you to run exploits on an 11.0, 11.1 or 11.2 N3DS system so they can be downgraded.
    There are exploitable Japanese DSiWare too, you'll have to buy it on your O3DS after making it a JP system, hack it, transfer it to the N3DS and begin from there.
    https://3ds.guide/dsiware-list

5. SonioNineteen
    OP

SonioNineteen Member

Newcomer
    Dec 18, 2016
    Okay gotcha. I know what to do now thanks and also appreciate the quick replies. :D

6. RupeeClock

May 15, 2008
    Good luck with that.
    When you're done, I imagine you could do this too if you like.
    Change the region of your O3DS back to PAL and restore a NAND backup of what you had before region-changing it.
    Also change the region of your N3DS to PAL.
    System transfer from your hacked O3DS to hacked N3DS.
    Yeah, I think that might be doable, no experience personally.

7. windhazard

windhazard GBAtemp Regular

Mar 23, 2016
    Gambia, The
    Iirc, changing region like this won't let you use system transfer. I made a thread about this before.

8. SonioNineteen
    OP

SonioNineteen Member

Newcomer
    Dec 18, 2016
    How so? Can you elaborate please?

edit: replied to the wrong post sorry

Last edited by SonioNineteen, Dec 18, 2016
  9. RupeeClock

May 15, 2008
    If you've installed A9LH before, you should have a little familiarity with NAND backups.
    Basically, when you use Hourglass9 or Decrypt9, you can make a backup image of the 3DS' NAND, and also restore this image.
    Each NAND backup is specific to the console is was made from, you cannot use it on another 3DS or it would cause a brick
    Additionally, the /Nintendo 3DS/ folder on the SD card contains an ID'd folder which is paired to that current NAND image.
    The NAND contains information about which games you have installed, encryption information, system title data like StreetPass and Miis, whilst the /Nintendo 3DS/ folder is where your actual game data, save data and extra data are kept.

If you were to make a backup of your NAND and matching /Nintendo 3DS/ folder from the same time, you could restore these later using Hourglass9 and copying files back to the SD card, and it will be as though you never formatted the 3DS, did a system transfer, etc. With the exception that any NNID that was associated with that system will no longer be associated if you did a system transfer.

That said, if what windhazard said is true, the system transfer idea might not work at all because the two systems were not originally of the same region, so it might be pointless.
    Your best bet right now is probably still to wait for that aforementioned 33c3 hacking convention on December 27th, and keeping your N3DS on 11.0 firmware for the time being.

10. windhazard

windhazard GBAtemp Regular

Mar 23, 2016
    Gambia, The
  11. SonioNineteen
    OP

SonioNineteen Member

Newcomer
    Dec 18, 2016
    Alright I think I can definitely wait until 27th of Dec so I'll leave my New 3DS untouched until something major gets released in the hacking scene. Also thanks for the heads up windhazard, save me getting a bricked system. You're a life saver.