11.0 or how the 3ds hacking scene died

astronautlevel

Trophies
Website
ataber.pw
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, that's basically what would happen. There's also the possibility of a major native_firm version update which would block the known-plaintext attack permanently.
It's worth noting only a minor_firm update would be required (happened in 11.0), the only reason that we can still use old firmwares is because they didn't update home menu/errdsip to check for the new version.

Reactions: zoogie

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I bet your cell phone bill can buy 2 new 3ds games/month
I don't know how much 3ds games or mobile/cell phones are in your country but here in Scotland I pay 30 pound a month for my phone with unlimited calls/text/Internet and new 3ds games cost 35 to 45 pounds. Even most second hand games are 20 to 25 pounds so as you can see for some people depending in which country they are in they can't buy 2 new games for the price of thier phone bill as you claim

Last edited by AmandaRose,

froggestspirit

Aspiring Game Dev
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's worth noting only a minor_firm update would be required (happened in 11.0), the only reason that we can still use old firmwares is because they didn't update home menu/errdsip to check for the new version.
Stuff like this makes me wonder what Nintendo is actually doing. How can we know so much more about how to patch the things (and the fact we make it publicly available), and Nintendo takes a month+ to patch it, but not even fully.

...Unless they're underhanding it to be kind to us?

GothicIII

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I don't know how much 3ds games or mobile/cell phones are in your country but here in Scotland I pay 30 pound a month for my phone with unlimited calls/text/Internet and new 3ds games cost 35 to 45 pounds. Even most second hand games are 20 to 25 pounds so as you can see for some people depending in which country they are in they can't buy 2 new games for the price of their phone bill as you claim

It depends on your contract. In Germany when you "lease" a new AAA phone and have unlimited sms/phone (unlimited highspeed internet doesn't exist here on mobile) the bill goes easily up to 90€/month without special discounts. With this you can definitely buy 2 full price games for 3DS.
Of course with the new price cuts going on (at least in my country) you can have everything for ~20€ but without a new phone.

dark_samus3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just said that. Process9 enforces the checks properly. Do you mean dark_samus3 is saying the checks ARE bad?
No, we believed them to be bad (there were 2 functions that didn't include the checks which had the same purpose as the 2 functions that did include the checks) however, it's probably not possible to call these functions with just arm11 kernel access and therefore it's fixed

Reactions: astronautlevel

DragarX

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I don't know how much 3ds games or mobile/cell phones are in your country but here in Scotland I pay 30 pound a month for my phone with unlimited calls/text/Internet and new 3ds games cost 35 to 45 pounds. Even most second hand games are 20 to 25 pounds so as you can see for some people depending in which country they are in they can't buy 2 new games for the price of thier phone bill as you claim
3DS games are damn expensive in Australia too. First party nintendo titles are still $70-$80 AUD regardless of release date and most Second hand games are $30-$70 AUD.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended