1080p 40" tv

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by VashTS, Apr 12, 2010.

Apr 12, 2010

1080p 40" tv by VashTS at 7:21 PM (3,658 Views / 1 Likes) 35 replies

1. VashTS
    OP

Member VashTS Beat it, son

United States
    I just got my new LCD TV. Its a 40" RCA, goes to full 1080p. My cable looks awesome. I'll be getting an HDMI cord for the 360 this weekend. But now I understand why people complained the Wii doesn't support 1080. Even on the standard rca cables, the 360 looks better than the Wii. 1080 Wii games would be sick.

I don't really have much with the post except YAY I finally got a big screen LCD!!

I couldn't read the text in the 360 on my 32" crt tv. Its almost required to have an LCD when playing the newer consoles, except the Wii that is.

Are there any tweaks I can use on the Wii? Will component cables really make a difference?

1 person likes this.

2. geegee

Member geegee GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Buying some component cables and setting the Wii 480p will help but it will never look anything like a Xbox 360 [​IMG]

3. Dragoon709

Member Dragoon709 GBAtemp Regular

Canada

Yes you can say that again. My Wii at 480p looks nothing like my 360 on 1080p. No comparison at all....

4. ddetkowski

Member ddetkowski GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Buy the component cables for the Wii, its worth it, its clearer, sharper, but only 480 max.
    Nothing like true HD with a PS3 or Xbox 360 using HDMI cable, though.

5. Issac

Member Issac Mini-mod

Sweden
    to be honest, I think component cables looks worse... it get's sooo many jagged edges! like there's no anti-aliasing at all!

6. soulx

Member soulx GBAtemp Legend

Canada
    Component cables will make a significant difference with certain games (SMG). Component cables are needed for large HDTV's. A crappy 480i image is more noticable on a screen of that size.
    Aren't you that mod on the other game hacking site?

7. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    That's because there isn't any, actually.
    SD TV is just so fucking low-quality and blurry that it covers it up. [​IMG]

8. giantpune

Member giantpune GBAtemp Addict

United States
    the fancy cables are well worth it. they only cost like $4 in ebay including shipping. IMO, once you use the 480p for a week and then try to use the regular cable, it looks about the same quality as a gameboy.

think of it like this...

wii with 480i -> VCR
    wii with 480p ->DVD
    xbox/ps3 -> blueray

when DVD came out, people thought it looked way better than VCR. now that blueray is out, people say DVD looks like shit. but thats just because they forgot how bad VCR looks.

9. Takeshi

Member Takeshi GBAtemp Addict

Germany
    I totally agree, the Wii looks good on a CRT, but even when using component cables (which is a must) it won't look that good when using a HDTV.

Every game is natively rendered in 720p and upscaled afterwards, which makes the 1080p mode more or less useless (for me at least). Also some games, for example Resident Evil 5, have some really bad tearing issues when set to 1080p.

10. Bladexdsl

Member Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Australia
    wrong 360 can't do TRUE hd it's locked at 720p and games are upscaled which half the time looks even worse. and anyway who gives a fuck about resolutions real gamers (like me) focus on gameplay which is what you should be doing [​IMG]

11. Rydian

United States
    720p is HD.

You could argue that 720i isn't HD since it's only 360 lines each frame, but 720p is definitely HD.

12. VashTS
    OP

Member VashTS Beat it, son

United States
    Thanks for the answers, I'm gonna look into the better cables. Anyone recommend I get the multi set? Like one that will work for wii and 360. Since my 360 uses HDMI I probably will just stick with HDMI.

1080 on my cable service is sweeeet. I'll probably switch the hdmi cable to the 360 to test it out later.

13. Bladexdsl

Member Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Australia
    they don't exist since the wii doesnt have a hdmi input. if you want to have your wii on a hdmi cable you need a component to hdmi converter. pick one up for $50 on ebay but stay away from the ones sold from japan/hong kong stalls their trash!!

14. ahtin

Member ahtin GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Hong Kong
    Go buy the original or monster component cable, dont buy the cheap one. Component cable is a must for playing Wii Game on LCD TV.

Dont compare to XBOX360 or PS3, they are different level, if you really care about the picture, go buy a Onkyo/Denon AVAMP for upscaleing

15. Maz7006

Member Maz7006 iSEXu

Lebanon
    [​IMG] your ther only one that has any sense in this thread

not to mention this topic changed from Wii to PS3 and 360 and discussion about up scaling and HD etc

anyway, well the Wii hasn't really ever been the prettiest when it comes to the visuals, 480p is as far as you'll go with it, and for a Wii it wouldn't look bad on a 40"

16. DeMoN

Member DeMoN GBAtemp Guru

United States
    [​IMG] There's no such thing as 720i. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/720i

17. Rydian

United States
    Then I don't know why they think 720 isn't HD.

18. ZeWarrior

Member ZeWarrior TheWarrior

Brazil
    At least the 360 has a dedicated hardware upscaler, and in case you didn't know 720p >>>>>>>>>>>> 480p rendering resolution. And guess what? HD games can have good gameplay too bro.

19. Takeshi

Member Takeshi GBAtemp Addict

Germany
    Guess what--every game can. [​IMG]

Anyways, to get back on topic. I got the BigBen component cables for my Wii and they look fine. Does anyone know if there is any/a huge improvement when using the official Nintendo ones (since they're quite expensive)? Just asking.

20. Ossot

Member Ossot GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Which means outside of like 4 nintendo published titles, you dont play the Wii much either.