100 posts for trading forums

pubjoe

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I think for long standing members (1-year+), the 100 post rule should be reduced.

I don't post as much as some people do, but I enjoy reading and have helped people lots of times over the last couple of years.

Also, why can't I edit posts? Is that something to do with the 100 post limit rule too?

Costello

Headmaster
Administrator
Trophies
XP
Editing posts now use a special ajax/javascript system.
Try performing a full refresh (Ctrl+F5) on the page before you click the edit button.
Also, wait for the page to be completely loaded before you click the edit button (menus won't show until the page is completely loaded).

If it still doesnt work, tell me what browser you're using and I'll have a look into it.

pubjoe

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Destructobot said:
You should be able to edit posts, but edits don't count towards your post count.

I wasn't trying to add to post count, but I have wanted to just edit a post before.

Destructobot said:
Trading Area here you come! I hope it was worth it.
biggrin.gif

Posts merged

QUOTE(Costello @ Mar 2 2008, 01:04 PM)
Editing posts now use a special ajax/javascript system.
Try performing a full refresh (Ctrl+F5) on the page before you click the edit button.
Also, wait for the page to be completely loaded before you click the edit button (menus won't show until the page is completely loaded).

If it still doesnt work, tell me what browser you're using and I'll have a look into it.

I tried ctrl-f5 and waited for the page to fully load, but it still doesn't work. I am using IE6 on windows XP. I think my sun java is up to date (ish).

pubjoe

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah I know, but a lot of sites I use often break when using firefox and I have to wait for an update (usually betting sites).

I just stick with IE as it is usually the most compatible - being the most used.

Also, IE compatability is pretty much 1st priority for websites - even if you don't like it.

Sinkhead

yay p1ngpong.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
pubjoe said:
Yeah I know, but a lot of sites I use often break when using firefox and I have to wait for an update (usually betting sites).

I just stick with IE as it is usually the most compatible - being the most used.

Also, IE compatability is pretty much 1st priority for websites - even if you don't like it.
Then at least get IE7.

And what do you mean '1st priority'? Most competant web designers use Firefox anyway...

Also, I don't mean to be rude, but I don't believe it's our job to update the site to support obsolete browsers.

CockroachMan

Scribbling around GBATemp's kitchen.
Trophies
Website
www.homembarata.com.br
XP
Country
Brazil
At least use IE7 then!
IE6 has a lot of issues with AJAX, CSS and other newer technologies.. you have no idea how web designers and programmers have to suffer just to make their sites compatible with IE6..
sleep.gif

ALL BECAUSE OF PEOPLE LIKE YOU!
mad.gif

Seriously.. stop using it..
sleep.gif

greyhound

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
pubjoe said:
I think for long standing members (1-year+), the 100 post rule should be reduced.

the 100 post rule doesn't apply to long standing members, they only need 50 posts. Not sure when you are considered a long-term member, maybe 2 years.

pubjoe

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
CockroachMan said:
At least use IE7 then!
IE6 has a lot of issues with AJAX, CSS and other newer technologies.. you have no idea how web designers and programmers have to suffer just to make their sites compatible with IE6..
sleep.gif

Fact is, IE6 is still the second most used browser and websites as a rule HAVE to be compatible with it. whether you like the browser or not is not an issue.

I'm not using it out of stubborness, I use it because when I use firefox, I end up switching browsers back to IE all the time to get some websites to work.

There really is no excuse for neglecting IE6 support.

CockroachMan said:
ALL BECAUSE OF PEOPLE LIKE YOU!
mad.gif

People like who? 32.0% of all of the internet's users?

Posts merged

QUOTE(GameDragon @ Mar 2 2008, 02:03 PM)
You could use Firefox with the IE Tab. That way you get the functionality of Firefox and the compatibility of IE at the same time.

Works pretty well for me.
Sounds good.

Samutz

Trophies
Website
samutz.com
XP
Country
United States
pubjoe said:
Fact is, IE6 is still the second most used browser and websites as a rule HAVE to be compatible with it. whether you like the browser or not is not an issue.
Rule? Where is this rule stated? I'd like to see it.

If I wanted to, I could make all my websites viewable only on Firefox and no one could force me to make it IE compatible. You'd just get a message in giant red letters that says FIREFOX or GTFO.

Law

rip ninjacat that zarcon made me
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
Samutz said:
pubjoe said:
Rule? Where is this rule stated? I'd like to see it.

If I wanted to, I could make all my websites viewable only on Firefox and no one could force me to make it IE compatible. You'd just get a message in giant red letters that says FIREFOX or GTFO.

I think I've actually seen a website that says that.

Seemed to work fine in Opera though.

Costello

Headmaster
Administrator
Trophies
XP
I understand your point though. However, I didn't code the Invision Power Board myself.
I do my best to improve compatibility but this is hard work and I'm the only coder in the staff.
IE6 and 7 are not developper-friendly, there's almost nothing I can do to fix the javascript issues with these browsers...

pubjoe

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I have no problems with the developers of the site, it is what it is and it's a very good site.

I mean no offence, I just got annoyed by the typical "web developers have a hard time catering for the likes of you
mad.gif
" response.

I have actually worked as a web designer as a large part of my job for 4 years. At the time if I wanted my website to be viewed by the maximum number of people it would be tested for full compatibility with IE4, then netscape second, then anything else last. The client wants the largest audience to view it as possible - this goes with the job and goes without saying. Of course it's annoying having to root through for compatibilty issues, and I'm sure it's even more so now (although more standardised). But it's a poor designer who blames their targeted audience for not being able to view the content properly.

As I say, I have no issues with this site's designers (why would I?). Also firefox is a great browser. I just didn't appreciate being flamed for simply using the most common browser on the market and reporting that the website has a small problem with it.

P.S. I use firefox on my laptop
smile.gif
...My desktop PC (that I am on now) is used for sites that basically require IE to work properly. Maybe I will upgrade it to IE7, last time I did that though - I couldn't stand the layout - maybe it's time to try it again.

Salamantis

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I still can't understand how can people use Internet Explorer. And previous versions too. There are much better browsers out there than that crap and it seems that people seem to refuse to use it just 'because it came with Windows'.

Seriously, guys, switch to something better than the gay Internet Exploder.

K

KaliKot

but but what about his proposal? I dont have 100 posts and ive been here like a fossil since the days when gba roms were here
biggrin.gif

i mean cmon look at my join date. and yeah seriously get firefox ie is like a spyware magnet

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Apply snorgle to pinfor.