Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
With FAST's blessing, look, it has the logo and everything:

gbachef-png.3459

Ramen! (The instant kind.)

Convenient quick and easy meal for the culinary deprived, horrible salt-laden grease-filled MSG-infested heart attack in a bowl, or salvation to the starving (drunken) college student and bachelor masses, there are few who at some point in time haven't tried the ubiquitous 3-minute miracle meal (or 5 minute, for the fancy stuff).

rMW8z0A.jpg

Oh suck it up, you big baby, just remember to drink a gallon of water with each bowl and you'll be fine.

So a few cents* will give you a bowl of warm broth packed chock full of delicious flavor enhancers and a handful of noodles for the carbs and fat content, making the trifecta of salty greasy carby goodness that hits all the right spots and makes you happy... for about half an hour, and then you're hungry again.

*(Cut-throat competition in the instant noodle world has kept them at ridiculously low prices (by replacing anything remotely resembling actual food with MSG) that make them (seem like) a viable meal or cooking ingredient.)

But one can (and often does) get sick of the plain ramen pack, and countless ways to upgrade, boost, enhance, spruce, spice and ramp up, and dare I say "hack", your noodle ( :creep: ) are a thing, ranging from adding a few more bottled sauces and spices, via simple fats and acids, boiled eggs and spring onions and leftover meats, assorted vegetation, cheese and nuts, to elaborate meals where the original brick of ramen is just a long distant inspiration, to the point where people say "take instant ramen and throw away the flavor packet-" and that's where it gets a little bit silly because a) they make plain instant noodles if you don't intend to use the flavor packet, and b) if you have access to the range of ingredients and cooking space and apparatus (not to mention budget), and the skill to chop and cook, why not just make a noodle soup from the get-go and avoid instant ramen in the first place? I appreciate that "spicing up" instant ramen is, for some, a stepping stone towards learning how to cook, but when you reach the point where you're replacing the flavor packet with actual flavor, and instant noodles with regular noodles because they are cheaper and better, then the dish has become a stone soup and you realize you didn't need the instant noodles at all, the soup was inside you all along. (Ew.)

8emoQ3j.jpg

The Holy Grail;

alt caption: You VS the guy she told you not to worry about

So, Temp: do you ramen? If so, do you hack, boost or upgrade the ramen? And if so, how?

PrincessLillie

(Future) VTuber
Trophies
Website
lillie2523.carrd.co
XP
Country
United States
Convenient quick and easy meal for the culinary deprived, horrible salt-laden grease-filled MSG-infested heart attack in a bowl, or salvation to the starving (drunken) college student and bachelor masses
Yeah, fuck you too.
So, Temp: do you ramen? If so, do you hack, boost or upgrade the ramen? And if so, how?
I eat ramen with Chicken flavoring.

johnbus

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Regular chicken flavoring with some cayenne pepper.

As far as I can tell, cayenne is the only truly universal ingredient.

Ritsuki

ORAORAORAORA
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
Ohhhhh I love that ! I love food and cooking, and actually, giving advices or easy recepies for geeks like us would be a nice touch !

Actually last time I ate ramen at home, I did the broth from scratch (pork broth with miso and soy sauce), added fresh spring onions, an egg, seaweed, and pork slices cooked in the broth then grilled in a pan. Not very difficult to do, but quite time consuming.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
:teach:
vHx1XCj.jpg

I usually follow that for the most part, though I add in more veggies than just the recommended. I like using two eggs when I make packet ramen, one soft boiled and one poached with the noodles. Depends on the particular flavor I'm going for if I use the seasoning packets, with chicken I don't bother and make my own, with beef I'll usually use like half and then soy sauce. Don't eat oriental or shrimp too often, so I haven't developed a custom flavor for those so I just use the seasoning for them.

For those cheapo packaged Yakisoba noodles I do the same, generally, though I usually always use the seasoning packet provided. I mainly stick to chicken there, but if I have some pork chops or something leftover from dinner I'll use that, too.

Reactions: Jacklack3

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Yeah, fuck you too.

:P

So anyway.
I rarely eat instant noodles at home, but I have a huge stash at work for when I get a hankering around 3AM and haven't brought a packed lunch from home. I also have a bunch of bits and bobs and stuff to add. Since I'm limited to an electric kettle and ingredients that can keep in a cupboard for months (i.e. dried, powdered and/or bottled), and anything that requires more prep than "add hot water and let rest for 5 minutes" is right out (although I suppose I could chop some shallots with a pocket knife on a hardbound copy of office regulations; said regulations explicitly forbidding food prep in the office, which would make it a delicious (HAH) irony). So as far as ramping up one's instant noodles goes, my recommendations are a little specific.

I have a bag of dehydrated vegetables, they're a must. They add vegetably flavor and the chunky bits give texture because I like to chew on something.

(Often times what's advertised as "vegetable soup/stock mix" is only 15% dried vegetables and the rest is salt, which is fine elsewhere but not if you're adding it to a dish that already has 75% RDA. Other thing to look out for is dried potato, that is commonly used as filler in dried vegetable mixes. It needs to be simmered for a while to be edible. Dehydrated vegetables are hella expensive, relatively speaking, but that's understandable seeing how 80-90% of a piece of veg is water so when you dry it you get left with nothing.)

Crispy fried onion is also great, if you add them at the end they're crispy, and if you add them at the start they dissolve in the broth and thicken and sweeten it up a bit and add great flavor. #FrenchOnionSoup, #masterchef

Maggi Liquid Seasoning (or a generic equivalent). It's wheat-based, flavored with with "flavouring" (Maggi refuses to elaborate), and tastes something like a vegetable stock cube dissolved in soy sauce. It goes in pretty much anything, it's pretty good.

Satay seasoning / satay sauce. Nice and peanutty. On that note, plain peanut butter goes great in ramen but if I ever did bring a jar to work I'd just eat it outright and not save it for ramen.

Other than that, I have a few stock cubes and instant soup packets, and a few bricks of plain instant noodles, and a package of couscous (instant). I can mix and match :P

Now that I come to describe it, my powdered pantry might seem weird :ha:

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I eat ramen with Chicken flavoring.

I've lived almost 2 and 1/2 years of my life in Japan and have eaten some extremely good, real ramen. I know what the good stuff is.

I've also eaten quite a bit of the instant ramen, and they have some far superior varieties in Japan that blow away the stuff we get here.

But I gotta say, as simple as this is, it's pretty tasty.

Cook up a pack of "creamy chicken" cheap ramen. Maruchan brand. Then add about 1/4 teaspoon of curry powder. A little less maybe, but no more. S&B curry powder is the standard, easy to find.

Trust me.

Reactions: PrincessLillie

Youkai

Demon
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Nah, actually Ramen isn't to my taste even though my GF said the original one in Japan is really good ... never tried it there.

I usually eat instand Yakisoba made by Nissin (big Campany selling their instand stuff world wide)

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You said eggs, how does that work? :wtf:

Usually I crack the eggs open in a bowl and whip them up, then as the soup is boiling and almost done, I pour the eggs into the boiling soup.

It comes out like egg drop soup but more creamy. If your looking for exact egg drop soup consistency you put in a spoon full of white vinegar in the soup before the eggs :)

Other times I will hard boil or even soft boil the eggs before hand. and just peel and cut them in half to add to the soup.

Reactions: sarkwalvein

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Usually I crack the eggs open in a bowl and whip them up, then as the soup is boiling and almost done, I pour the eggs into the boiling soup.

It comes out like egg drop soup but more creamy. If your looking for exact egg drop soup consistency you put in a spoon full of white vinegar in the soup before the eggs :)

Other times I will hard boil or even soft boil the eggs before hand. and just peel and cut them in half to add to the soup.
I had fried and scrambled eggs on pizza. :P

But not how you described it. First of all I eat ramen with tomato sauce cause I save the actual seasoning packet for other stuff. That is just in a container in my room.

WIN_20171107_02_50_37_Pro.jpg

Usually save it for something else Like Linguini noodles. Anyway I add some adobo, curry powder, 4 Cheese tomato sauce, pepper, onions, garlic, parsley flakes, bacon bits, hotsauce and soysauce. (Sometimes that store bought sweet and sour sauce or General TSO chicken sauce) then I add any meats I want like vienna sausages, Frankfurter, hamburger or chicken nuggets with cheese inside and vegetables. I wanted to try alfredo sauce though. :P

Reactions: Psionic Roshambo

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    We just question @AncientBoi
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it wasn't a question, it was fact
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He said he had 3 different doctors apt this week, so he prob there. Something about gerbal extraction, I don't know.
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    bored, guess i'll spread more democracy
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    @K3Nv2 one more time you say such bs to @BakerMan and I'll smack you across the whole planet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make sure you smack my booty daddy
    +1
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    telling him that my partner is luke...does he look like someone with such big ne
    eds?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    do you really think I could stand living with someone like luke?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I suppose luke has "special needs" but he's not my partner, did you just say that to piss me off again?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    besides I had bigger worries today
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    but what do you know about that, you won't believe me anyways
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa can answer that
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    BigOnYa already left the chat
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Biginya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Auto correct got me, I'm on my tablet, i need to turn that shit off
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With other tabs open you perv
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm actually in my shed, bout to cut 2-3 acres of grass, my back yard.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I use to have a guy for that thanks richard
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I use my tablet to stream to a bluetooth speaker when in shed. iHeartRadio, FlyNation
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    While the victims are being buried
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Grave shovel
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh those goto the edge of the property (maybe just on the other side of)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    On the neighbors side
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.