$100 bounty to the person who can figure this out (GameBoy save data corruption)

Discussion in 'Other Handhelds' started by gwiz210, May 13, 2016.

1. gwiz210
    OP

gwiz210 Member

Newcomer
    Apr 23, 2008
    United States
    Long story short, I had a pokemon red save from when I was a kid I was ripping. I had gotten the save on a 64 M card via megamemory. Somehow megamemory card wiped itself and the cart's save.
    I have a huge sentimental attachment to this save file, and I think this file I had previously ripped might contain the data of my sav file. The program made a 131 kb sav file, which makes no sense to me.
    I'm offering $100 real American dollars to anyone who can find my old save file within this file and produce some sort of working SAV out of it.
    http://www.mediafire.com/download/9..._(possibly_corrupted_GB_64_M_Sram_export).sav

2. Justinde75

Justinde75 VGM Addict

Feb 14, 2016
    Germany
    Iwatodai Dorm
    Either this is fake and the file is a virus or OP won't hand over the money. 100$ is a little bit high for a save file don't you think?

3. gwiz210
    OP

gwiz210 Member

Newcomer
    Apr 23, 2008
    United States
    Don't hand over the SAV until I send the money. I have a lot of money and I don't think you understand how much of an attachment to this save file I have. If anyone is trying, just post deets on the sav file (character name, pokemon in party) so I know you're legit.

4. FireEmblemGuy

FireEmblemGuy Celebrating a decade of shitposting

Jul 6, 2007
    United States
    Michigan, USA
    I can search through it for anything that looks promising, but I won't guarantee anything. Pretty sure a Gen I save is only 32k, not 128k. Have any idea what your player or rival name was?

5. gwiz210
    OP

gwiz210 Member

Newcomer
    Apr 23, 2008
    United States
    Player name is "GARLAND". Let me know what you find.

6. yusuo

yusuo GBAtemp Addict

Oct 19, 2006
    There's a tangela and a goldeen in your party and you used the missingo cheat alot, and a dugtrio apparently.

Last edited by yusuo, May 13, 2016
  7. gwiz210
    OP

gwiz210 Member

Newcomer
    Apr 23, 2008
    United States
    Hmmm doesn't sound like where I left off. Can you post screenshots?

8. zoogie

zoogie simple pimp tool

Nov 30, 2014
    United States
    It's just .sav data, not an exe. There's no header.

9. Justinde75

Justinde75 VGM Addict

Feb 14, 2016
    Germany
    Iwatodai Dorm
    Mh you're right

10. yusuo

yusuo GBAtemp Addict

Oct 19, 2006
    I can't at the moment as I'm in work and using team viewer on my phone. What I can tell you though is this save is very corrupt. I can see you have a few missingo in your pc box as well as the ones I've told you. It's looks like it can't be saved

11. gwiz210
    OP

gwiz210 Member

Newcomer
    Apr 23, 2008
    United States
    Do what you can. Specifically I'm looking for my promotional Mew, my Mewtwo, and Blastoise from that data. If you (or anyone else) can salvage them the money is yours. It's late where I'm from so I'm going to sleep now. I'll check this thread in the morning. If anyone needs to get ahold of me, you can email me at gwiz210@gmail.com

12. FireEmblemGuy

FireEmblemGuy Celebrating a decade of shitposting

Jul 6, 2007
    United States
    Michigan, USA
    There's no string matching your player name (at least by Bulbapedia's encoding table, which lines up with my own save) or anything to indicate that you had all your badges, so I'm gonna assume it's not there. Would be interested to figure out how someone else found the proper party offset in a save 4x as large as it should be, though.

Come to think of it, I'm also interested in where exactly the save came from; does the memory card back up in 128k chunks or what?

Last edited by FireEmblemGuy, May 13, 2016
  13. gwiz210
    OP

gwiz210 Member

Newcomer
    Apr 23, 2008
    United States
    Was anybody able to find anything? Honestly Pokesave (or whatever the Gen 1 equivalent is) files for my Mewtwo, Mew, and Blastoise are all I really need.

14. Boured

Boured The most perverted furry

GBAtemp Patron
    Boured is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 25, 2015
    United States
    Wherever I log in at ^w^
    If it's a save, it might work with a save editor, and if it does work you could just correct the bad parts if there is any and export the save. Though due to it being probably corrupted it may not work, but it's worth a try.

EDIT: Here is a save editor, try and see if it loads it: https://projectpokemon.org/forums/s...mon-Editor-and-Converter-for-Windows-Mac-OS-X

Last edited by Boured, May 26, 2016
  15. Rabby250

Rabby250 Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 9, 2013
    Taiwan
    I checked your SAV but did not find any of the said Pokémon.

In normal circumstances Gen I SAV files were not protected by encryption, meaning that I could just open it in a hex editor and look for specific patterns matching a Pokémon's data structure. In your case, since you're looking for Mew (Psychic), Mewtwo (Psychic) and Blastoise (Water), I had tried to look for any signs of psychic (0x1818) and water Pokémon (0x1515), but found none of them in the SAV file.

If the SAV file was encrypted by the memory card (and someone else knows how to decrypt it), you might have a chance to recover the data, but if the data file was actually raw SAV data, then unfortunately you're out of luck.

16. TheVinAnator

TheVinAnator GBATemp's Greatest Vin

Jan 10, 2016
    Canada
    NO COFFEI!
    I mean couldn't you just cheat in those 3?

17. ih8ih8sn0w

ih8ih8sn0w Koreaboo

Aug 22, 2015
    United States
    Hell
    Took a look at the save and compared it to another cart dump I received a while back. I'm sorry to say this, but it is most likely unrecoverable. The dump that i have is 128KB as well, but from the start, nothing adds up. There should be a block of FF bytes up until around where the OT data starts (easiest point that i knew was the same). The save file should start at 0x00000000 and have a block of seemingly random information sprinkled into a block of 00. Either the save dumper is encrypting the save stupidly like powersaves, or you corrupted it really badly. I can confirm however that pkx delta opens the data at the beginning of the save dump, but its just missingnos, a dugtrio, no rival/trainer name, and a bunch of missingnos. (you can take a look for yourself, just copy the first 7FFF bytes onto a new file, name it something.sav, and download pkx delta from projectpokemon, sorry i dont have a link, but you can probably find it with google.)