10.3.0-28 N3DSXL and DSTwo+, What Are My Options?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Paul Kujawa, Dec 26, 2015.

1. Paul Kujawa
    OP

Paul Kujawa Newbie

Newcomer
    Mar 9, 2015
    United States
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Hello All,
    I got a New 3DS XL for Christmas along with a DSTwo+ with the hopes of having all of my games in one convenient place. However the system is running 10.3.0-28, which means that the DSTwo+ cannot run my 3DS games in the stock configuration. This leaves me wondering what my options are now, if any, with the equipment I have. This is what I've gathered so far:

Downgrade: Impossible
    Update GW Ultra Plugin: Would probably brick the console
    Buy Sky3DS+: Expensive
    Install CFW: Doesn't support 10.3?
    Use EmuNAND: Somehow? Still unclear on this one
    Manually flash NAND: Risky/impossible?
    Wait for DSTwo+ to Support 10.3: Won't happen

Please let me know if any of these are incorrect or if I missed anything. If the DSTwo plus won't ever support 10.3+, I might as well return it because I already have a DSTwo.

2. MichiS97

MichiS97 "Leftist snowflake milennial"

GBAtemp Patron
    MichiS97 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 14, 2011
    Gambia, The
    Bavaria
    Your only option to play ROMs is Sky3DS.

Downgrade: Impossible Right
    Update GW Ultra Plugin: Would probably brick the console Impossible, the plugin can't be used on firmwares >9.2
    Buy Sky3DS+: Expensive Like I said, your only option
    Install CFW: Doesn't support 10.3? Correct
    Use EmuNAND: Somehow? Still unclear on this one Impossible, because of the firmware
    Manually flash NAND: Risky/impossible? Impossible
    Wait for DSTwo+ to Support 10.3: Won't happen May or may not happen eventually

Last edited by MichiS97, Dec 26, 2015
    azublazer and Ammako like this.
  3. azublazer

azublazer GBAtemp Regular

Feb 3, 2015
    United States
    Sky3ds user here. I love it. Free games, plus my firmware is up to date. Got me a private header on my roms and I can play online without ban. Just spend the money, it's worth it for the amount of free games.

4. MichiS97

MichiS97 "Leftist snowflake milennial"

GBAtemp Patron
    MichiS97 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 14, 2011
    Gambia, The
    Bavaria
    The newest version really is a good flashcard if you're really only getting one because of the free games.

5. azublazer

Feb 3, 2015
    United States
    I have the blue button which IMO is good enough for me. How many games even have the AP implemented? Two? I'll live without playing those few games.

6. wurstpistole

wurstpistole N3DS B9S

Nov 19, 2015
    Gambia, The
    A handful. Fire emblem if comes to mind, Stella glow, paper jam bros, shovel Knight, there are more. Basically every major game in the last weeks already has it and probably every noteworthy upcoming game will have it too.

Ammako likes this.
  7. azublazer

Feb 3, 2015
    United States
    All those games sound awful to me. I have a backlog of games I'm playing through at the moment. And I'm sure this will be like the old DS AP games where only some of the AAA games will have it, like Pokemon and the Kingdom Hearts game for the DS. I'll live without the new Pokemon games and Fire Emblem.

8. wurstpistole

wurstpistole N3DS B9S

Nov 19, 2015
    Gambia, The
    Well you can always tell yourself your old sky blue is okay but really, sky orange is the better option here.

9. ravihpa

ravihpa GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 11, 2007
    India
    Sky3DS+ is the OBVIOUS AND THE ONLY CHOICE HERE. I would recommend getting the Sky3DS+ and sell off your DSTWO+ to recover the cost :)

10. Ammako

Ammako GBAtemp Guru

Dec 22, 2009
    Canada
    Thing is it isn't only the big titles that have it. It's been pretty much every recent game that came out.

Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam Bros.
    Monster Hunter X
    Chibi Robo! Zip Lash
    New Style Boutique 2: Fashion Forward (note: JPN version works)
    Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon
    Stella Glow (note: JPN version works, english translation available through HANS)
    Horse Life 4
    Hello Kitty And The Apron Of Magic: Rhythm Cooking
    Barbie And Her Sisters: Puppy Rescue
    Shovel Knight
    Thomas And Friends: Steaming Around Sodor
    The Legend of Zelda: Tri Force Heroes
    7th Dragon III Code: VFD
    Goosebumps: The Game
    Picross 3D 2
    Animal Crossing: Happy Home Designer
    Fire Emblem If - Special Edition
    Fire Emblem If - Anya Oukoku
    Fire Emblem If - Byakuya Oukoku

All of those have AP. Likely Nintendo is getting developers to switch to a new sdk or something for creating games that includes the AP, and I think the AP is partly hardware-based as well? So they are probably phasing out the old ones in favor of the new ones and every game will have that AP.

11. TheHunted1

TheHunted1 Member

Newcomer
    Apr 25, 2009
    Netherlands
    I am also planning on buying a N3DS xl and a sky3ds+ flashcard. But was I thinking about downloading game updates and dlc. Is this possible with the sky3ds?

12. kennyhi123

kennyhi123 GBAtemp Regular

Oct 15, 2015
    United States
    DLC : no
    Game update : yes

Last edited by kennyhi123, Dec 26, 2015
  13. wurstpistole

wurstpistole N3DS B9S

Nov 19, 2015
    Gambia, The
    Well of course you can use dlc with sky but you'd need to buy it.

14. Paul Kujawa
    OP

Paul Kujawa Newbie

Newcomer
    Mar 9, 2015
    United States
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Thanks for your help, everyone! You've successfully convinced my to buy a Sky3DS. The question now is which one and should I get rid of my DSTwo+? I read something about the S3DS+ not saving games automatically? There doesn't seem to be a good comparison online between the S3DS and the S3DS+.

As for the DSTwo+, Supercard says that it has more memory and a faster processor than the DSTwo vanilla. Since I want to use it for emulating SNES, GBA, 2600, etc., I'm hesitant to return it immediately because the higher specs should translate to better emulation. Has anyone used both cards enough to see whether there's an appreciable difference?

15. Ammako

Ammako GBAtemp Guru

Dec 22, 2009
    Canada
    DSTwo+ not saving games automatically only applies to 3DS games. More specifically, Card1 type 3DS games. Not something you really have to worry about. DS games will still save automatically just like on the original DSTwo.
    I'd recommend just keeping the DSTwo+ and selling off the regular one. It's gonna be an upgrade over the original in every way anyway. I haven't personally tried it to see how much better GBA/SNES emulation was compared to the original so I can't really help you there.

16. Paul Kujawa
    OP

Paul Kujawa Newbie

Newcomer
    Mar 9, 2015
    United States
    Omaha, Nebraska
    If the 3DS games don't save automatically, how exactly are they saved? Is it very bothersome? Does the Sky3DS have the same issue? Also, what do you mean by Card1? That's what I was thinking regarding which one to keep, but I don't know if the money I'll lose selling the DSTwo rather than returning the DSTwo+ is worth the performance increase. Counting eventual 3DS support isn't really fair because I'll have a Sky3DS by then.

17. Xinaman

Xinaman GBAtemp Regular

Sep 21, 2015
    Brazil
  18. Xenon Hacks

Xenon Hacks GBAtemp Guru

Nov 13, 2014
    United States
  19. Ammako

Ammako GBAtemp Guru

Dec 22, 2009
    Canada
    3DS games on -any- 3DS flashcard save to a save chip directly on the flashcard, and when you close the game it copies the save file from the save chip back to the microSD card.
    This applies to all Card1-type games, regardless of Gateway, DSTwo+, or Sky

Card2-type games save directly to the rom automatically.

Basically Card1-type games are games that have one chip for the actual game rom, and another chip for save data (eeprom/flash)
    Card2-type games only have one nand chip, which contains both the rom and, at the end of the nand chip, there is a small area that is not write protected. Whenever you save, it saves directly to that last part, on the same chip as the rom.

If you were to dump a Card2-type game, it would dump the save file along with the game rom, the save file being appended to the end of the rom. When you save in a Card-2 type game on a flashcard, it will just modify the rom directly and instantly as you save in-game so there is very little risk of save files being lost if your 3DS crashed or something.
    While with Card-1 type games, they save to a save chip on the flashcard and then the save data is copied to the microSD card. If you were to turn off your 3DS without properly exiting a game you may lose your progress since the last save, or if your 3DS crashed for whatever reason before you could exit the game.

With the GW and the DSTwo+ it is possible to convert Card1-type games to Card2-type games so that all your games save directly to the rom and makes it a lot safer, helps prevent save file loss. That's not possible on the Sky3DS though, so make sure whenever you are done playing a game, that you close it properly by returning to the home menu, and press a button on the Sky to switch to the next game so you know it'll have properly backed up the save file.

20. YourHero

YourHero GBAtemp Maniac

Apr 22, 2010
    United States
    The major downfall of Sky3DS is other regions. I got my GW to play Japanese games too. Can Sky? Yea if RegionThree or whatever still works. But that's so much hassle when I can just launch the game on my GW normally.