Gaming 1 year update on the Wii

Harsky

Madmin
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So it's now been over a year since the Wii first hit the stores. I remember thinking, "It's going to be like any other consoles and I can just go in and pick one up without preordering it". How wrong I was. In fact, I only managed to get one in the summer. But anyways. A year has passed. How would you sum it up in your opinion?

My thought? Meh meh. I got the highs with the announcement of Sin and Punishment for VC. Then came the crashing lows of Brawl being delayed and the amount of shovelware flooding the shelves in the store. I really hope 2008 delivers.

JPH

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
jphtemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Really enjoying my Wii.
I kind of set it aside after playing a bit of Zelda (and it lost its interest).
But I dusted it off when Mario Galaxy came out and got Manhunt 2 as a nice complement.
The Wii is doing pretty well, I just wish this shovelware would stop spitting out
frown.gif

The VC has some nice titles too.
Pokemon Snap, Super Mario Bros, Legend of Zelda OOC!

So yeah, Wii has been a pretty nice console...

kellyan95

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got mine at launch, and it's a very fun console - but it lacks a lot of the experience the AAA X360 titles bring. Mostly because they are better than the Wii's best, not the controller.

Wii is definatly better around the holidays

coops024

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Ive always been a big fan of Nintendo hardware and games and my Wii is no exception !

There have been enough games to keep me ocupied throughout the year

So far Ive completed every game i own except one !

and they have all made me smile
wub.gif

Wii Soports
Zelda - Twilight Princess
Red Steel
Waroiware - Smooth Moves
Mario strikers charged
Metroid Prime 3
and now Super Mario Galaxy ! - (Not actually finished this one yet !)

All fantastic games !

And if you buy games then, as most of us know you tend to make more of an effort to enjoy them ! so each one has lasted well over 2 months enjoyment !

sekhu

moo?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
It's been a disappointing and underwhelming year for me and the Wii. The only reason I still have it is because I got it modded. The revolution Nintendo suggested didn't happen, and I question whether most of the games could be done on the GC, as well as the wiimote not providing said revolution or innovating the way we play games.

Best example of Wiimote controls was probably Warioware, but it seems a lot of people hated the game, and it only lasted an hour (I actually enjoyed it).

Zelda Twilight Princess was such a woeful game, with gc graphics and tacked on wiimote controls. It was a fan service game, and one of the worst Zelda games I played.

I felt underwhelmed with SMG too, and Metroid was downright dull, even though I enjoyed the first two games, it was just more of the same with Metroid 3 and it just felt old.

The best game to come out on the Wii for me is Zack & Wiki, and it was a brilliant supporting title from Capcom. It proved that third party developers can provide an enjoyable experience.

The Wii was over hyped and under delivered on it's promises. I was excited to see the show reel of how the wiimote would be used in different types of games, and that got me pumped up for a new, involving experience making gaming fun again. It hasn't been the case, and 2008 will probably be the year that the Wii struggles.

The VC is cool, but it's too expensive, you can pick up the same titles in a used games shop for less, and probably buy the hardware for cheap too. It does add some longevity to the system though.

The support of friend's codes and a crippled online service also is a mega disappointment. Nintendo doesn't have confidence or belief that it's players can make an informed decision as to how they choose their opponents, treating gamers like idiots as "daddy knows best".

Still you can't fault Nintendo for opening up new demographics and bringing in players that otherwise wouldn't play on a console, from the young to the aged, it's been a party console for them all.

Without many big new titles in 2008, and with seemingly little quality third party support, 2008 is going to be the year where the novelty of the Wii and it's new controller may fizzle out.

My hope is the above does not happen, because I paid for the damn thing, and hope that more developers follow Cpacom's example of providing quality games. Allowing companies like conspiracy entertainment to make games is seriously a detriment to the popularity of the Wii. Nintendo's "seal of quality" is a running joke these days, especially when it comes to Wii titles.

My Wii gathers dust pretty well, it's become professional and doing so. I sometimes dust it off to play a game or two, but on the whole I hardly touch it these days. I still haven't seen or played many quality titles on the Wii, unlike on the 360 (let's talk about the PS3 in another year or so) where it's AAA titles don't seem to stop coming.

Nintendo needs to remember it's hardcore fanbase, that have bought their consoles even when they failed, and even in the face of losing third party support where only Nintendo developed games ruled the roost. They've been largely ignored with a handful of titles to satisfy them.

Nintendo needs to improve in a lot of areas, if it's to provide any long term enjoyment from it's new console. And it needs to support third parties much better

Torte

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
The 360's AAA titles haven't really impressed me. The "shiny graphics OMG" thing no longer applies. And seeing as I'm not much of a fan of FPS's these days... you get the picture.

The Wii is kinda disappointing, yeah - but if you had paid for your games, you would probably have appreciated them more, and soon realise that stuff like Zelda and Mario are STILL golden. Metroid, I agree - stale.

That said, the DS still rocks, and that's probably all I'll have time for from 2008 onwards... except for GoW PSP which looks pretty hot.

BigX

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
It was a good year of gaming for me.
Still moving my attention from pc gaming to consoles, the wii helped me to finish some titles.
On the PC I hardly finished the games. I played a lot, but since I moved from student to worker (and having a partner) the times to play games are severely reduced.
On the PC side I always had to update punkbuster, install some patch and anything else...but thats no gain for the Wii alone, but for the consoles generally.
But still, I finished Red Steel, Resident Evil, NFL Street 1 & 2 (started on GC though...damn still waiting for NFL Street 3 available on Wii), Rayman 1 & 2, Metal Slug and played a lot of other games on the Wii.
The Wii constantly improved with Updates and new channels. But there is still room for improvement.

I would like Nintendo to better anounce what media formats are supported by the channels (I still struggle to convert my music to AAC. Had not the chance to try many formats yet.) I think this would be easier for the producer than for anybody else.
I just want to know what MJPEG Setup is supported for the Photo Channel (I made a lot of files compliant to the rough information in the manual but still inoperable), what AAC profiles and so on.

Now I am still looking forward for new titles and channels for the Wii.

adgloride

Its A Wii Wario
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The wii has been very disappointing with the game titles. Its mostly shovleware. About 5 games out of the whole lot are worth playing. The wiimote has been used like a fancy joystick in 95% of the games and not to the best of its use. I just hope Nintendo get its act together next year and stop any old crap from being released on the Wii. Maybe then the Nintendo seal of quality will mean something again.

Bob Loblaw

Read the Bob Loblaw Law Blog!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The 360's AAA titles haven't really impressed me. The "shiny graphics OMG" thing no longer applies. And seeing as I'm not much of a fan of FPS's these days... you get the picture.

The Wii is kinda disappointing, yeah - but if you had paid for your games, you would probably have appreciated them more, and soon realise that stuff like Zelda and Mario are STILL golden. Metroid, I agree - stale.

That said, the DS still rocks, and that's probably all I'll have time for from 2008 onwards... except for GoW PSP which looks pretty hot.

If I paid for my Wii games I would be infuriated. Aside fom SPM and SMG

reecarno

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
If I'm honest I've been underwhelmed by all three consol's offerings. None have really captured the same feelling I got from the early games I grew up with; I'm 37 by the way, I do however find the wii much more amusing than PS3 and 360. My two sons never leave the wii alone, if it's not galaxy it's bleeding rabbits thier playing so if nothing else at least another generation are getting enjoyment. For me I'm still hooked on the DS and in many ways I think the wii will have some great titles in the next few years in just the same way the DS did so I have high hopes. One thing does worry me though, Mario Kart Wii this busniess about the steering wheel, does anyone know if theres a gamecube/classic controller option like brawl has? if not then I dont think I could stand it, since MK64 I've been waiting for a real successor and Double Dash with prams was dissapointing
cry.gif

So far

Games liked: Mario Galaxy, Paper Mario, Zelda TP, Zack & Wiki, Wario Ware
laugh.gif

Semi Liked: Excite Truck, Red Steel, Kororinpa
smile.gif

Games that need to be burnt: Sonic and his crappy ring, Sonic and Mario do nothing at the olympics, Awful Monkey Ball, Dewys adventure, elebits
mad.gif

Hillsy_

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
QUOTE said:
I felt underwhelmed with SMG too

I disagree, SMG is a wonderful game but...

QUOTEZelda Twilight Princess was such a woeful game, with gc graphics and tacked on wiimote controls. It was a fan service game, and one of the worst Zelda games I played

I agree with Zelda Twilight Princess. I bought it on the GC but failed to complete it. I got close to the end, but stopped playing it because I felt bored. It started very well, but got worse as the game progressed. I was falling asleep alot. I did like the Wolf part of the game though, especially when it sings to the golden wolf. I remember the melody.

Well I've only just got my Wii, about 2 to 3 weeks now. At the moment I am enjoying it. I bought the following games with my wii, they were:

Super Mario Galaxy - Wonderful game..
biggrin.gif

Super Paper Mario - Creative style..
wink.gif

Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles - 28 Critical Hits and counting - Resident Evil 3 is great.
grog.gif

Zelda Link Training with the Wii Zapper - Surprisingly fun game.
bow.gif

Wii Sports - Have a go at Baseball
smile.gif

All the wii games above are great.

Possible purchase in time,

Metroid Prime 3,
Kororinpa.

I am looking forward to,

Geometry Wars Galaxies,
Fire Emblem Radiant of Dawn,
House of the Dead Series,
Puzzle Quest,
Super Smash Bros,
Dragon Quest,
Possibly Mario Kart,

etc... Some other titles I don't know about, Day of Crysis etc.. Monolith's new game?

Me, A happy bunny!

cubin'

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Extremely disappointed with the Wii compared to what I thought it would be.

I thought the motion control would be awesome and actually a new way of playing games. Instead it turns out that all you have to do is shake the controller and it registers like a button press
frown.gif

I've had fun with some games like mario galaxy and I'm getting metroid prime for christmas..I'll see how that goes.

I've started to get over the disappointment and just want good nintendo games now. Only a few games I'm really looking forward to next year
frown.gif
Mario Kart and Smash Bros.

It's a good console but my expectations of something brilliant were crushed...I guess that's my fault. Wii Sports still has the best motion controls IMO.

Where the fuck is mario bowling, tennis, etc.?? Come on Nintendo...I don't want a fitness machine I want fun games.

Disclaimer: I've been a massive Nintendo fan all my life but I think I had more fun on the N64, Gamecube, Snes, DS, Gameboy etc.

TGBoy

Trophies
XP
Country
Just asking
but didnt the PS1 and also the  PS2 have a lot of shovelware and PS2?
I dont think tat affected its success

Yeah they had heaps of shovelware. But they also had lots of great games.

The wii will be successful even if it doesn't get many more good games.

Maybe Nintendo is takin ideas from Sony's success
unsure.gif

And when their next gen console comes they can boast of the many backward compatibility of the many titles of the Wii
just like Sony did.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    DinohScene @ DinohScene: stick a decal on it