1 Million dollars for whoever jailbreaks iOS 9/8.4.1

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones and Media Players' started by TheSockNaster, Oct 10, 2015.

1. TheSockNaster
    OP

TheSockNaster Kawaii

Banned
    Feb 7, 2015
    United States
    You heard me... 1 MILLION DOLLARS!!! As we know iOS 8.4.1 and iOS 9 (9.0.1/9.0.2) were released and patched major jailbreak exploits, except iOS 8.4.1 which only patched a couple of exploits. A jailbreak team by the name of Zerodium announced that they will be giving away 1 Million dollars as a award for anyone who can successfully Jailbreak iOS 9/8.4.1 Untethered. Now this isn't any normal jailbreak, this 1 Million Dollar award only goes to whoever jailbreaks iOS 9/8.4.1 WITH the safari browser. Now you might be wondering if that is even possible and the answer is simply yes. Back in the early days of jailbreaking (I would have to say around iOS 1 through 4) we could directly jailbreak our iDevice using the safari web browser (The website to do this is jailbreak.me). Now for anyone wondering what jailbreak.me was, it was a website that you would open on your iOS 1-4 iDevice and simply slide something that said jailbreak. After waiting about 2 minutes your iDevice will reboot and it will be jailbroken. I will be happy to answer more questions. If you want more information go here.

FAQ:
    Open For FAQ

Last edited by TheSockNaster, Oct 10, 2015
  2. jonthedit

jonthedit GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

May 30, 2011
    Bangladesh
    Old news...
    Also this is NOT good news.
    If this actually happened, it won't go public.
    It will go straight to government for some $$$$, which then governments will use this to gain backdoors.

3. TheSockNaster
    OP

TheSockNaster Kawaii

Banned
    Feb 7, 2015
    United States
    It is good news for us jailbreakers. This could mean an upcoming jailbreak. ;)

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Well you are being very skeptical. How do you know this will happen? You probably don't even know who Zerodium is...

4. jonthedit

May 30, 2011
    Bangladesh
    ... no.
    Reread.
    This type of exploit would mean the end of security for your device on current firmwares.
    It also would NOT be released publicly. This would be used for private gains and probably to infiltrate organizations for undermining.

You will get a real untethered jailbreak for 8.4.1 and 9.x soon. Likely when 9.1 hits. - And it WONT be from the bounty above.
    There is an open source github for 8.4.1 right now.

Last edited by jonthedit, Oct 10, 2015
  5. amoulton

amoulton GBAtemp Fan

Nov 18, 2014
    United States
    Franklin, Massachusetts
    That's a pretty wild assumption considering Safari has been secured for nearly 5 years.

6. TheSockNaster
    OP

TheSockNaster Kawaii

Banned
    Feb 7, 2015
    United States
    Everything is possible, even if you have to work your ass off its still possible.

I am only here to spread the news. If you want to argue with someone then go to Zerodiums website and argue with them...

I am only here to spread the news. If you want to argue with someone then go to Zerodiums website and argue with them...

7. jonthedit

May 30, 2011
    Bangladesh
    Yes, to the top.

I don't want to argue, I just want to help prevent misinformation. If I found a vulnerability that allows that type of exploitation they are seeking- that is NOT worth $1million- it is worth far more. Scratch the middleman, go straight to China and sell it. The amount of damage someone with a way to exploit such a vuln is huge.

This would not enable the type of jailbreak you want. You are better waiting for a userland exploit [Absinthe, Evasi0n, Evasi0n7, TaiG, PanGu releases have all been this, basically iOS 6-8.4].

8. jonthedit

May 30, 2011
    Bangladesh
    Just posting this as proof of what I claimed earlier.

PanGu has released their iOS 9 jailbreak, which operates in userland like normal jailbreaks, unlike the 1million $ bounty.
    Enjoy your jailbreak, but dont support trash like Zerodium. :)