1 CPU core hotter than the other core by alot....not right?

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by BumFace, Aug 20, 2010.

1. BumFace
    OP

Member BumFace GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    recently tested my temps with Speedfan and i got this:

GPU: 57C
    Temp1: 48C
    Temp2: 36c
    Temp3: -127C (wtf?)
    HD0: 32C
    Core: 24C
    Core: 56C (thats the problem)
    Ambient: 0C
    Fan1: 3140 RPM

i noticed one core is really hot, more than 2x hot, that doesn't sound normal, any reason why is this?

oh, and my heatsink is an OEM one with the processor

and i'm a noob at electronics =/ the heatsink fan has no screws so i don't know how to get it off, i really don't want to remove the whole heatsink, i'm too...scared to break the pc [​IMG]

[​IMG]

this is the heatsink, how on earth do i get the fan off? Since i want to clean it without taking the whole heatsink off do i need to pry it? since there aren't any screws

2. Slyakin

Member Slyakin See ya suckers

United States
    It might just be a glitch in the scanning.

Scan again, and see the results.

3. tk_saturn

Member tk_saturn GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    No idea as i'm not familar with the processor, but I imagine you pull the blue lever. On the opposite side of the heatsink there's lijely to be a small notch un the CPU socket the heaksink attaches too, push the metal bar through from the blue lever side.

I have a 6C difference on my cores, and that bothers me. But in my case, i'm guessing it's becasue I used a 6year of tube of thermal paste I had lying around.

Looks like your fan is on full speed to cool the hot core, which is making the temperture on the other core cooler than it would normally be.

4. Sephi

Member Sephi fool

United States
  5. BumFace
    OP

Member BumFace GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Ahh! thank you all! core temp scanned better xD and tk_saturn i'll try that soon, thanks for your help tempers!

6. Scorpei

Member Scorpei GBAtemp Maniac

Netherlands
    Btw, the stock heatsink is okay (though not perfect) it's quite an easy system with a lever to remove or install it (from the looks of it it's an AMD Athlon II heatsink?). So aside from it not being needed, it is quite easy to remove and replace it (just make sure to always put new cooling paste on there and never force it on, light pressure on the lever should be all that's needed).

7. TeenDev

Member TeenDev GBAtemp's Original Hipster

United States
    Personally, I would try it with CPUID Hardware monitor. SpeedFan always has weird results for me too.