1.5TB hardisk + eSata to USB = Xtreme speed?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by bob4171, Aug 21, 2009.

Aug 21, 2009
  1. bob4171
    OP

Newcomer bob4171 Newbie

United States
    Hi Folks,

I'll want to buy an Western Digital HardDrive 1.5TB.
    This means i'm gonna partitionary 500GB to WBFS partion.
    Is this possible?
    And is it necessary to use an eSata to usb connector , or just that mini usbport to the wii's usb?
    If eSata is necessary , which cable is recommend? (For EURO plz)

My Wii setings are:
    Black Wii (Black Knight Case)
    Wiigate Red
    Homebrew Channel + USB Backuploader.
    4.1E + IOS60
    Wii bought in 2008.

Thanks in advance.

Bob4171
    (Sorry for mai English , Im dutch [​IMG])

2. Bladexdsl

Member Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Australia
    yes it's possible to partition just use windows partition tool to partition the drive and note down the drive letters. than when you format the drive for wbfs enter the drive letter you want for wbfs.

3. bob4171
    OP

Newcomer bob4171 Newbie

United States
    Thanks.

Can i run the 500gb WBFS on my wii , and on my macbook pro on firewire at the same time?
    And an eSata cable, anyone?

4. Bladexdsl

Australia
    yep i parted my wd 320gb and i use it both on the wii and my computer just dont try and select the drive letter for the wbfs format on the computer it will ask you to format make sure to select NO. as for the cable i dunno know i dont have that drive if it is a sata cable than you will need a cable that converts it to usb to plug it into the wii.

5. Fat D

Member Fat D GBAtemp Maniac

Germany
    While I do not have a WD, I do have a Seagate Freeagent Xtreme with similar ports (although the firewire interface is slower, only the Mac version has FW800 and that one does not come with USB or eSATA). I can only tell you that if you connect an eSATA hard disk to your PC, use the eSATA connection if available. But eSATA only makes sense if your PC provides an eSATA port, as when using a USB adapter, this adapter would provide the same bottleneck that slows down the connection as just connecting it via the built-in USB port would do. So for connecting the disc to your Wii, eSATA makes no sense. USB only has a limited transfer rate, and adding an adapter does not help that.

Also, never try to connect a hard disk with multiple ports simultaneously. You will have two or three controllers talking to the disk (the USB and FW controllers built into the external casing and/or the SATA controller of your PC), resulting in the hard disk getting nonsensical data from every one of the three controllers. In layman's terms, the disk is bound to get confused. This might even cause damage to some of the involved parties.

6. bob4171
    OP

Newcomer bob4171 Newbie

United States
    Thanks for replys.
    So, eSata with adapter slows down , and it makes no faster procedure than with the USB.
    But... If it runs on USB , it is slower than a Wiikey2 Mod Drive? (I Mean , is it faster if you paly from DVD or USB)

Next , so i cant use both (mac on FW and Wii on USB) , i thought , cuz i saw on Western Digital Website 'Triple interface' so this keeps me wonder.
    So , if i want to play on my wii , i first must disconnect the FW cable --> play?

Is my story right?

Thanks!
    Bob4171

7. crono999

Newcomer crono999 Member

Why not just 1 big partition???? It works for me whit CG Loader.

8. Bladexdsl

Australia
    cos he wants to use the drive on the wii and his macbook READ the WHOLE thread b4 you post

9. bob4171
    OP

Newcomer bob4171 Newbie

United States
    Hmmmmm....
    Any ideas?
    And yes , i want to use +- 500GB om my wii and 1TB on my Macbook.
    Running on USB Loader GX , works fine?
    If this not going to work , i just gonna buy an WD Digital Pasport of 500gb , but thats the last idea.

[ HDD]
    ----> Wii on mini usb to usb cable
    ----> FireWire 800 on Macbook Pro
    [ ---- ]

AT THE SAME TIME

10. mrmilkman

Newcomer mrmilkman Member

Antarctica
    can u unpartition a drive later on? Just say I did what bob does, partition 500gb for wii, and 1tb for pc, later down the track if I want to use it soley for my pc, could I just reformat and it's all cool again?
    haha thanks, and sorry its 3:33am here @_=

11. nicky041192

Member nicky041192 GBAtemp Maniac

United Kingdom
    i believe you delete the partition and it returns to one whole partition. i use EAESUS artition master (freeware).