Hacking 00010000-00555044 (.UPD) & 00010000-00555045 (.UPE) What are these

PPSainity

Blinded by Science
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
00010000-00555044 (.UPD) & 00010000-00555045 (.UPE) What are these?

I been looking through my Wii's NAND using Anytitle Deleter MODv6, and came across these two Disc Game Title or Saves. I've tried looking through all the Wii Title databases I know of, and Google of course, but nada.

Does anyone know what game these belong to? I find the ASCII titles very peculiar as they both start with ".", and are region E which is the same as my Wii (USA) but also region D (Germany) WTF?

Anyone?

-[]D

SnacksHacks

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
wiihbcentral.ucoz.com
XP
Country
United States
Why do you want to know what they mean? You shouldn't just be randomly browsing your Wii's NAND like that too it's dangerous. I don't know what they mean, and I'm gonna guess and say they belong to some kind of update from the disc. WiiBrew.org has a complete list of all the titles in the entire NAND if you want to go there.

~Snacks
yay.gif

damysteryman

I am too busy IRL these days...
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
They are IDs for update partitions. I don't think you'll need them, but I haven't ever tried deleting them myself though.

PPSainity

Blinded by Science
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
SnacksHacks said:
Why do you want to know what they mean? You shouldn't just be randomly browsing your Wii's NAND like that too it's dangerous. I don't know what they mean, and I'm gonna guess and say they belong to some kind of update from the disc. WiiBrew.org has a complete list of all the titles in the entire NAND if you want to go there.

~Snacks
yay.gif

FenrirWolf said:
Just browsing your NAND is hardly dangerous, is it?
Browsing your NAND is not dangerous. Deleting things willy-nilly is though. The reason I want to know what these files are is because I don't want any junk files on my Wii that may cause problems later on...not to mention take up space for no good reason.

da_letter_a said:
They are IDs for update partitions. I don't think you'll need them, but I haven't ever tried deleting them myself though.
This is the first time I've heard of "update partitions", can you explain a little more about them? Perhaps a link? I don't want to delete something that ends up being vital, (Though I do have a backup of my NAND using BootMii as a boot2). I still have yet to find any description of these two Titles, searching WiiBrew's database, other forums, Google at large...still nada.

I think I might just take the hassle of trial and error, and delete them....

-[]D

OK I did delete them, and have seen no ill effects so far... so I'm just gonna finish this post with what I have learned in hope that it helps someone...
  • The Titles in question are, 00010000-00555044 (.UPD) and 00010000-00555045 (.UPE), but also 00010000-0055504A (.UPJ) is often found too.
  • These files are from the update partitions from specific game discs.
  • The game discs on which these title can be found are apparently legit discs that have not been altered, leading me to believe these are legit updates...
  • These titles use/depend on IOS4, which apparently is now a stub...
  • WiiBrew contains this blurb on its Talk section for the Title Database entry:
  • Unidentified Title IDs
    UPD, UPJ, and UPE

I've noticed a few people have reported titles in /title/00010000/ with the IDs 00555044, 00555045, and 0055504A (.UPD, .UPE, and .UPJ). I'm not completely sure what these are, but I'd theorize that they're caused by the Wii Brick Blocker or some other application that replaces data at the beginning of the disc. Can anyone confirm this? --ProdigySim 07:16, 16 July 2008 (CEST)
  • These titles, 00010000-00555044 (.UPD) and 00010000-00555045 (.UPE), were deleted on a softmodded Wii that was safe updated to 4.2 from 3.2 with no ill effects observed so far.
  • I assume they will return whenever a game disc with the update partitions containing them is inserted and ran again.
That's all I got...

beav1s

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
why not leave things in the working state they are rather than risk a brick by deleting things you have no idea what are/do
'junk files on wii causing problems later on' ive never heard of such a thing, however ive heard many stories of bricks by people randomly deleting shit with anytitledeleter
gl either way

D34DL1N3R

Nephilim
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmmm... I had both of those entries too and have NEVER stuck a retail disc in my Wii whatsoever. Everything has only been played via USB Loader GX with games installed via WBFS Manager.... so the files being from a disc update seems unlikely.

They both showed up in ATD Mod6b for me as .UP-OPIK's update May2009.

On 4.2U, deleted them a few days ago & have had no negative side effects at all.

PPSainity

Blinded by Science
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
beav1s said:
why not leave things in the working state they are rather than risk a brick by deleting things you have no idea what are/do
'junk files on wii causing problems later on' ive never heard of such a thing, however ive heard many stories of bricks by people randomly deleting shit with anytitledeleter
gl either way
Yes, I agree, deleting things willy-nilly is bad. That's why I made sure that I had a recent backup using BootMii installed as Boot2 made, just in case. Also these updates are not critical system files and are only dependent on IOS4 which is a stub AFAIK. I never heard of junk files too, but I also never heard of these files as well, and the awkward title ID made me originally think that these files may have been the result of some wad I used, or failed update...which might of caused trouble later on...again this is all unknown, and best educated guesses.

QUOTE(D34DL1N3R @ Oct 28 2009, 02:12 AM) Hmmm... I had both of those entries too and have NEVER stuck a retail disc in my Wii whatsoever. Everything has only been played via USB Loader GX with games installed via WBFS Manager.... so the files being from a disc update seems unlikely.

They both showed up in ATD Mod6b for me as .UP-OPIK's update May2009.

On 4.2U, deleted them a few days ago & have had no negative side effects at all.
I don't know if scrubbed games will still have the update partition or not, but I have seen these two/three files in actual update partitions of real games discs. It also seems I need to update my ATD's database, last time I did, I still had to manually include the entries for UNEO, JODI, and DISC...

All well, maybe some Wii Code Guru will identify these files and update the title database at WiiBrew.

-[]D

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: