• Replies 125
  • Likes 4

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I miss the 90s... Everything is controversial nowadays.
Argh! Just... FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF!.

Yeah, man, let's get back to the 90s, when there were no controversies!

...Ignoring Mortal Kombat, Doom, Night Trap, Duke Nukem 3D, etc. and the outrage they sparked, of course.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland

...Ignoring Mortal Kombat, Doom, Night Trap, Duke Nukem 3D, etc. and the outrage they sparked, of course.

Complaining is well-instilled in human nature and has been with us since the dawn of time. Example:
The Earth orbiting around the Sun?
hBOtKXE.jpg
Heresy! You know what's orbiting around the Sun?
Ur Mum! ;O;
As you can see, media have stired fiery debates long before video games came into play.

//Master_Punster_2013 ;O;

Reactions: Gahars

NEO117

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela

Oh snap! You got me there...

But at least I understand why those things are controversial... Showing blood, sex and any of that was rather new to gaming at the time and parents were worried.

But sexism? Social classes?

A DAMN ZELDA GAME!? Really!? My friend you are right, but it does not help me feel any less baffled.

purupuru

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
At first glance I thought this read Zelda is the sexiest classiest game. So this is the kind of thing that keeps liberals up at night. Ha.

Wisenheimer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What, no mention of the Islamic chants (removed by Nintendo in the European and Gamecube/Wii version) in the temple that literally looks like hell?

calmwaters

Cat's best friend
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can always rely on fair and balanced journalism from Salon dot fucking com.

*snip*

Why do I always smile, laugh, or do both when I read your posts? Maybe it's your profile picture along with the name... :unsure:

What, no mention of the Islamic chants (removed by Nintendo in the European and Gamecube/Wii version) in the temple that literally looks like hell?
The Legend of Zelda was released on the GameCube and Wii? You mean Wind Waker and Twilight Princess...

Wisenheimer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why do I always smile, laugh, or do both when I read your posts? Maybe it's your profile picture along with the name... :unsure:

The Legend of Zelda was released on the GameCube and Wii? You mean Wind Waker and Twilight Princess...

The first five home console Legend of Zelda games were released on the Gamecube and then made their way to the Wii Virtual Console.

calmwaters

Cat's best friend
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The first five home console Legend of Zelda games were released on the Gamecube and then made their way to the Wii Virtual Console.

Yeah: LoZ, Zelda II, Adventure of Link, Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask. You make it sound like the first five Zelda games were released on the GameCube and then made their way over to the Wii. A collection of the games was released on the GameCube, not the actual games. The GameCube didn't exist in '91...

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
I really wish people would stop reporting on this (no offense, SoulX). People claim it's NOT satire, but it very obviously is taking a radical point of view for the sake of popularity. I don't buy for a second that the author genuinely believes the stuff in this article and, if anything, this article was written as a fun study more than a serious point of view.

Tl; dr, it's a troll article, and people need to stop promoting it and, essentially, making the author successful.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I really wish people would stop reporting on this (no offense, SoulX). People claim it's NOT satire, but it very obviously is taking a radical point of view for the sake of popularity. I don't buy for a second that the author genuinely believes the stuff in this article and, if anything, this article was written as a fun study more than a serious point of view.

Tl; dr, it's a troll article, and people need to stop promoting it and, essentially, making the author successful.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poe's_law

We live in an age where people sincerely believe that there is such a thing as "the patriarchy," where people get put to the stake for saying that men have penises and women have vaginas, where people will weave whatever bullshit they can to justify their victim complexes. Universities are banning "Blurred Lines" because it, somehow, perpetuates "rape culture." People have had their careers utterly ruined for making offhand, private jokes about dongles. Shit is crazytown bananapants.

You think this is too extreme to be real? I'm sorry to say, this is par for the course. As far as this sort of thinking goes, there's actually worse out there.

As far as reporting goes... well, this thread has generated 6 pages of discuss (so far), so it definitely seems worthwhile. Besides, soulx quoted the guy in the original post. As long as people don't follow the link over (or do so with adblock), he's not getting any traffic for his writing. It's promotion, sure, but it's microscopic, at best, and really, how many people here actually learned his name? Or care to look it up?

I bet you it's a small, small number. People only care about the viewpoint, not the guy who came up with it.

Reactions: TripleSMoon

Smuff

Fossilized Gamer
Trophies
XP
Country
Too many people spend too much time actively looking for reasons to be offended, however obscure they might be.

In my opinion, they are all trouble making wankers who should be shot repeatedly in the face, whatever their colour...... or creed....... or gender....... or political bias.

Reactions: tatripp

NekoKat

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I'd also like to add that Mario games objectify women - they put Princess Peach in the position of a constant victim, completely unable to take care of herself without the help of a man to save her despite the fact that she's apparently capable of single-handedly ruling an entire realm.

This in particular made me chuckle, people did whine to Nintendo about it. Their response? Super Princess Peach for NDS. Admitedly a VERY fun game (I love it!), it was still "vile sexism".

Why?

Because Peach's super powers don't come from eating mushrooms with faces or touching multi-color flowers. It came from her feelings. That, somehow, is a bad thing, vile, sexist thing. Same thing Sailor Moon is accused of.

Kinda miss the days when people didn't over-analyze videogames and just enjoyed them for what they were after reading this "TLoZ is racist" essay. Oh well!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Or Genesis.