Review: U9 Intelligent Pocket Projector (Hardware)
U9 Intelligent Pocket Projector: Official GBAtemp ReviewHardware 3,292 views 3 likes 5 comments
I was given the opportunity to review a mini handheld pocket projector supplied by TaoBao.com
1. Remote Control
2. Portable Pocket Projector
3. USB Wireless Receiver
4. Micro to standard USB adapter
5. Micro SD Card Reader
6. Micro USB to standard USB cable
7. Adjustable Projector stand
8. Instruction Manual
9. Projector Charger (off screen)
1. Built-in android 4.2.2 system.
2. Touch buttons and touch mouse pad design.
3. Quad core Cortex-A9, bluetooth 4.0, Dual-speed WI-FI 5.8Ghz 802.11.
4. Adjustable focus for viewing films, 120-inch+ large screen.
5. Supports HD TV broadcast, on-line web video.
6. Business presentation, pre-setting WPS Office software such as Word, Excel, PDF, PPT.
7. Support Mirroring Function with computers, iPhone & Android devices wirelessly.
8. Built-in rechargeable lithium polymer battery.
- CPU Chip: Quad-core Rockchip RK3188, ARM Cortex-A9 architecture, 28nm low power consumption technology
- GPU Image Processor: Quad-Core Mali 400 MP4 533Mhz
- RAM: DDR3 1GB
- ROM Nand Flash: 8GB high-speed Nand Flash (16GB optional)
- WI-FI: Dual-band WI-FI high-speed module 65Mbps 802.11N mode
- Bluetooth: BT 4.0 Broadcom BCM40183 maximum speed 3Mbps
- LED Lamp: DLP R.G.B True Color - >30000 hours lamp life
- Maximum Resolution (Compatible): 1920*1080 HD1080P
- HDMI HD: HDMI 2.0, support 720p,1080p HD
- Audio Format: MP1、MP2、MP3、WMA、WAV、OGG、OGA、APE、FLAC、AAC、M4A、3GPP
- Video Decode Format: MPEG1/2/4,H.264/AVC,MVC,VC1,XVID,DIVX,RealVideo 8/9/10,VP6,MP4,MOV,MKV
- Product Size: 136mm*70mm*16.5mm
- Product Weight: 140g (595g total)
Operation of the projector is as simple as holding down the power button and booting into the android OS. Everything then works as it would on any android device. Using the included remote control is essential for control and operation as the built-in touch pad on the actual projector is pretty horrible to use. I would even go as far as to say it's the worst touch pad I've used on any device, ever. It took me nearly 40 minutes just to enter my wifi password using the touchpad, something that should take seconds. Whether I got a faulty unit I do not know. It's worth noting that there are USB Ports and a Micro USB ports for a keyboard & mouse for easier operation. I don't know why any of the touch screen buttons don't illuminate when you are mostly using this device in the dark! They should stay lit until whatever you are doing is running. I couldn't find a setting for them.
The screens are on my ceiling, you can see my lamp shade bottom left to give you an idea of screen size at a short distance
So we set the projector up in my son's room as he had a plain wall once we took down his world map. You can't get a good idea of how good the picture quality is from pictures or video. I tried everything I could think of to capture the image quality for this review but all attempts were futile. The image size is way over 120" and very crisp.
Obviously these pictures don't do the projector any justice at all but it is magical when setup and running, though it's quite loud but you can use headphones,
I bought 2 adapters for the projector as the manual kind of states that it can mirror any other device. I bought a mini to standard HDMI adapter and a micro to standard HDMI adapter. Even with HDMI enabled in the OS settings I couldn't get my PS4 to display through the projector. Whether I was missing another .apk or something I do not know. There isn't enough documentation with the device at all. The product page claims it can do everything under the sun, but without more clear documentation I was only able to experiment with the very basic functions of the projector.
PS4 would not display via HDMI port
+ 120"+ Size clear image
+ Good build quality
+ Fully featured modified android 4.2.2 system
+ Excellent battery life
+ Movie and picture playback is great for a large audience
+ Included stand is great
+ USB Port and Micro USB port for keyboard & mouse
- Very noisy when running and quickly becomes hot if not well ventilated
- Touch pad is atrocious
- Sound is decent, but headphones can be used for better quality
- Severe lack of coherent instructions
out of 10
The image quality when set up correctly is pretty amazing. It was fun to watch Frozen with my son as it covered almost an entire wall in my house. The projector has a ton of features such as Airplay with both apple and android devices and should be quite simple to setup and use. However I couldn't get Airplay to function. It's android OS so if you are familiar with that you will breeze through setups. It would make an ideal gadget to take on holiday or maybe use when camping etc. but it is awesome just to use in the home at night, it can feel like being in the cinema/theatre.