Visit site
XP
Country
United States
review.gif
GBAtemp's NDSL dis-/re-assembly guide
Official GBAtemp Guide
a_01sm.jpg

is your DS Lite system out of warranty and your hinge just broke on you? or do you feel like freshing up its look with one of the aftermarket shells that are available? Feel free to leave your comments and questions in response to this guide.

>>>> update: the guide is complete as of 04.aug.2008

wilddenim

Candy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Jesterscourt, that's because the site is down at the moment.

Thieves - awesome guide but you have put me off from changing the case. XD It look pretty tough. More difficult than GBA SP.

But I'm sure I'm gain confidence as time goes on.

Thanks again for the brilliant guide!

Nthenorm

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Great guide. I've been planning on changing the case of my polar white DS for some time now, but I've been to lazy to bother. Glad I waited.

amgupt01

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does a guide like this exist for the schmexy DS Phat?

The only reasons why I would even bother buying a Lite is because of the Silver color wearing off on the edges of my precious Phat and looking like diluted phlegm and because of a bunch of scratches on my touch screen from when I was too retarded to get a screen protector.

I saw a bunch of replacement shells and a touch screen on DX for really cheap prices but I want to know what I'm getting into before I buy them...

Sorry if they are in really obvious locations, but I searched to the best of my ability and couldn't find a detailed guide...

~amgupt01

thieves like us

chaos personified
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Sc4rFac3d said:
Nice, thieves! You thinking of doing a Wii one?
sorry, just this one for now. (it took almost a month of my time)

QUOTE(amgupt01 @ Jul 31 2008, 08:36 PM) Does a guide like this exist for the schmexy DS Phat?
I'm not sure to what extent, but I believe that there a quite a few guides available for the older "phat" style ds.

update:
the images for re-assembly (upper shell) as now in place. that's it for tonight. I'll probably have the last section complete and up by sunday (there are a lot of pictures for that last section!
ohmy.gif

Sweater Fish Del

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nice guide, but it came too late for me.

I already did irrepairable damage to my DS while trying to swap cases last month. Specifically, I broke the microphone wire right at the connector head making it impossible to solder back together and I somehow managed to totally unseat on of the shoulder button microswitches from the PCB. so I'd advise anyone taking their DS apart to be especially careful of those two points. Especially the should button microswitches. The mic wire was pretty much my fault, but I really have no idea how the shoulder button became separated and from looking at it now, it seems like it was already a weak point in the PCB design.

This was doubly disappointing to me since the clear case that I was installing ended up having a wobbly hinge once it was all together and, honestly, not looking all that hot anyway. In fact, after about 10 minutes, I decided it wasn't worth it and decided to switch back to my original white case, which was actually when I made the two mistakes described above.

For the most part, the disassembly wasn't as difficult as I thought it would be, but I can only recommend being very careful, especially around the shoulder buttons. And if you're doing this in order to install a replacement case, maybe think again.

...word is bondage...

Splych

GBAtemp's Lurker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
awesome guide thieves ^^
much more detailed that those ones you find on the internet
yaynds.gif

and where do you think i can get the supplies in Canada ?
i'm just gonna order the triwing and phillips at DX but the other supplies ?

do you know any reputable places to buy these stuff ?

#00 phillips (+) screwdriver
x-acto type hobby knife
small (jeweler’s sized) pair of needle-nose pliers
1/16th in regular (-) screwdriver (optional)

those stuff are all that i'm need of . might the hobby knife at a local arts n' craft store ( Michael's ) and then then the the other stuff are a problem . where do you think i can get those stuff . ?

thieves like us

chaos personified
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
you should be able to find the screwdrivers, hobby knife and pliers at any reputable hardware store. just let them know exactly what you're looking for.

hobby stores should carry the items as well since the sizes are small for things like modeling and/or radio controlled devices.

Splych

GBAtemp's Lurker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
oh alright . so far my best at finding these things are at Michael's ( well just for the hobby knife ) and Canadian Tire then =) but it's gonna be tough searching for those ..

and at DX , if i bought the Tri-Wing and Phillips screwdrives what size would the phillips be ? all i want to know is that the Phillips screw driver will fit and be used on the screws ! so yea is it a #00 one ? or another one ?

fryfrog

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I literally just finished doing my own swap a few days ago. Your guide is excellent and even touches on the problem I had. I managed to break the little nub off the power switch w/o even feeling or noticing it. That little nub is *TINY*. I got a replacement switch online for $10 and de-soldered the bad one, soldered on the new one.

After getting it back together, it isn't quite right yet. I need to tighten the hinge anchor more (I swear it is as tight as the screws will go) and I believe I routed the mic wire wrong so it is keeping the case a little separated. The translucent black case I got (from dealextreme) is pretty good, but I think the power switch is not quite perfect (it doesn't slide easily, so it gets stuck going on/off). I'll probably file / razor it a little when I re-fit the bottom half.

So... take it very slow, don't push things together that don't want to. The DS Lite is small and everything is crammed in there good. I like the way my new translucent black (gray?) case looks and I *almost* wish I'd gotten the crystal clear one instead.

MrBeer069

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Superb guide theives.

I will be getting an NDS this month and I really fancy making it look different to everyone elses. Living in the UK does anyone know of a website to get replacement cases? I love the black mario one in the links in the guide.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.14164

My theory is to get a black NDS and then I only have to replace the top half of the case.

Thanks again for the guide.

Toni Plutonij

*has TrolleyDave & tiny p1ngy on moderating shelf!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Hey thieves, awesome work..I've swapped my case some time ago, and I used few guides, because there was no complete guide, that was so detailed about changing case..
I wish I had something like this by my side then..
But lucky, I had no problems that ruined my NDS!!

Be sure to upload all the pictures, it will make this guide the best out there (it already is the best, most detailed one),,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :rofl2: +1