Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
According to an article posted on Kotaku:

QUOTE said:
Nintendo has just announced that it and 54 game software companies are filing a lawsuit with the Tokyo District Court again "R4 Revolution for DS"-type devices, using the Unfair Competition Prevention Law as the legal grounding. Nintendo is asking for the cease of marketing, sales and importation of these Chinese-made devices. The R4 allows easy software piracy by fitting right into the DS's cartridge slot. Data is stored on a Micro SD and downloaded from websites via a flash drive, and the R4 has a small slot that the Micro SD card goes into. In a statement released today, Nintendo announced that these R4 devices "allow illegal uploading from the internet", adding that "it is causing severe damage to our company and software makers, and this is something that we cannot possibly overlook." In conclusion, Nintendo adds that such devices hurts the growth of the entire game industry and steps must be taken regarding the legality of R4 carts. It's important to note that this legal injunction is for Japan only.

Back in November 2007, Nintendo announced that it was "keeping a close eye on the products and studying them." Earlier this spring, Nintendo apparently pressured Akihabara retailers to stop carrying the popular R4 carts.

Interestingly enough, most of the companies backing Nintendo in this are most of the bigger ones. Here's a few examples:

Arc System Works
SNK
Capcom
Koei
Jaleco
Square Enix
Sega
Taito
Takara Tomy
Tecmo
Hudson
Bandai Namco Games
The Pokémon Company
Yukes
Level Five

For more info, here is the original article.

JKR Firefox

Back.
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Kaos said:
So are they just banning the R4, or all flashcarts?

According to the article:

QUOTENintendo has just announced that it and 54 game software companies are filing a lawsuit with the Tokyo District Court again "R4 Revolution for DS"-type devices, using the Unfair Competition Prevention Law as the legal grounding. Nintendo is asking for the cease of marketing, sales and importation of these Chinese-made devices.

I assume this means they are going after them all!

enarky

owls?
Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
This sounds completely ridiculous, R4 as a synonym for NDS flash carts. Like using iPod for any kind of MP3 player.

Uh, I think I'm going to post a blog on that...

Nottulys

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I dont think it will stop all companies, from producing these cartridges...maybe some, and it will slow down, but not completely. The cost of a Slot-1/2 will inflate indefinately.

Rokamunky

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I am glad i just bought my supercard now then, rather than wait a month only to find it will go up in price!!
blink.gif

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm.....better update my slot1 and 2's sooner rather than later then. I need a new slot1 because, well, the one I have is an R4. I need a new slot2 because the SCminiSD slows down in GBA games, which sucks.

I'm thinking CycloDS and M3 Perfect.

If Ninty and its 3rd party's were creating 90% GOOD games and not 90% casual crap-fests maybe they wouldn't have as much of a sales problem though. But then again, it doesn't matter how good a game is for the DS, I ain't buying it when I can download it. Ooh...vicious circle.

So, Ninty is finding out that flashcarts combined with a bunch of crappy games on an underpowered system equals low sales. Who'da ever thunk it? And now, after the damage is done and it's already too late, NOW they try to shut flashcarts down. Brilliant! Ninty is really on the ball aren't they?
rolleyes.gif

They may as well drop production of the DS and build a new handheld with a little better security this time. Don't you think? That would certainly make more sense than going after a bunch of underground flashcart companies who are obviously better at what they do than Ninty is at securing their systems.

dark42

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Well, I'm glad I just bought my Cyclo a few days ago!
biggrin.gif

But whatever, flashcarts will always be available on the internet, and there's nothing ninty can do to stop it.

Commander

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
In conclusion, Nintendo adds that such devices hurts the growth of the entire game industry and steps must be taken regarding the legality of R4 carts.

No Nintendo its only hurting your wallet.

QUOTEWe cannot possibly overlook.

And how long have DS flash carts been around now.

Sp33der

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Commander said:
QUOTE said:
In conclusion, Nintendo adds that such devices hurts the growth of the entire game industry and steps must be taken regarding the legality of R4 carts.

No Nintendo its only hurting your wallet.

QUOTEWe cannot possibly overlook.

And how long have DS flash carts been around now.

lol owned=P

tinymonkeyt

GBAtemp brat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hmmm. but they'll just keep coming up with more and more flashcarts.
they stop the production of one, we start another :]
anyways, im glad i dont have an R4
but when i tell people i download games,
it's always the same response
"you have an R4?"

Zerotance

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
The M3 sakura is going to go isn't it in this case? - This means no more firmware if we get m3 reals and want m3 sakura firmware on it because now, r4ds' and m3 simplys have stopped production and now Nintendo are locking up japanese flashcards like the sakura so now all the sweet firmware isn't likely to happen
cry.gif
. This is bad and nintendo are going to regret it with loads of m3/r4 owners in their email box asking them to stop. Believe it or not but nintendo have a flashcard of them own - the ds vision and they are making their own go on top.

WB3000

Trophies
Website
wb3000.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
The R4 allows easy software piracy by fitting right into the DS's cartridge slot.

...OK, so if it didn't, it wouldn't be easier?

QUOTE said:
Data is stored on a Micro SD and downloaded from websites via a flash drive

I've never downloaded anything via flash drive before.

In a statement released today, Nintendo announced that these R4 devices "allow illegal uploading from the internet"

Ah, we're all uploading stuff from our flashcarts all the time.
blink.gif

TheWingless

Wafuu~
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Zerotance said:
The M3 sakura is going to go isn't it in this case? - This means no more firmware if we get m3 reals (if we can get hold of one) and want m3 sakura firmware on it because now, r4ds' and m3ds reals have stopped production their own go on top.
The "REAL" didn't stop production... The R4 and M3DSS(IMPLY) is stopping production... Only because the R4 is stopping(M3 rebranded the R4) and because Simply was outdated to their NEWER cart(M3 Real) anyways. If you read the R4 and M3DSS going out of production, you can SEE that it is M3DSS and not M3R or REAL.

If Nintendo does some freak super ultra raid, then we can say the the Real/M3 team is dead and all the other flashcart teams are for some reason also dead/being hunted, but it's freaking China. I don't think they could wipe them all out.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ButterScott101 @ ButterScott101: +1