Hacking NEW VC INJECTOR :)

DevilKen

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Well, I have been working some days on a new inyector for VC.

This is a beta version, I will update it as soon as I have enough time, so it may contain some bugs. Special thanks go to Sr Corsario for his help with this tool, as his investigations in Neo Geo inyections pushed me to build it.

Well, the more interesting features are:

· The possibility of injecting roms of ANY SIZE in SNES and N64 (this means beeing able to inject any game to PAL 60 roms and playing without black borders and at full speed
smile.gif
)
· The possibility of injecting roms of ANY SIZE in NEO GEO, with the limit of about 52 megs, by emulator or memory system limitations, probably.

Said that, I explain how to use the tool. I will be updating this as soon as I have time.

First, download the zip file and uncompress its contents on a folder.

One link:http://www.megaupload.com/es/?d=VXCX25GM
Another link: http://www.mediafire.com/?mtixbylxdye

You have to add the file common-key.bin on the same folder. If you don't, the program will not be able to pack or unpack wads.

On the same folder where you uncompressed the zip, you have to put the wads you want to inject to (I recommend PAL 60 wads if you have a PAL console) and the subfolders with the content you want to inject, so you can use the program this way:
VC basegame.wad folder

Beeing basegame.wad the wad where you want to inject things and folder the folder where you will put all the contents to inject. As a result, the program will always create a title.wad file on the same folder as basegame.wad.
The better way to use the program is with subfolders inside of the same tool folder. It's better not to start making folders around all the HD, and just focusing in tool folder and one level subfolders for each game you want to inject.

Currently, you can put this kind of files on the subfolder with contents to inject (try always to use short file names):

ROMS: .NES for NES, .SFC or .SMC for SNES (you don't need to cut the header of SMC files, the program will automatically do it), .*N64 for Nintendo 64 and *.ROM or *.BIN for NEO GEO. In Neo Geo case, you just have to put the uncompressed MAME ROMSET on the folder. The ENCRYPTED ROMSETS will not work. In that case, you better look for NeoRageX ROMSETS, that use to be UNENCRYPTED.

BANNERS: If on the subfolder with content to inject you put a 00000000.APP file, the tool will use it as a banner. You have to pick it up from another game or create following a tutorial.
CAUTION: A BANNER BAD DONE CAN BRICK YOUR CONSOLE, AND IT WILL NOT BE MY FAULT. IT'S YOUR PROBLEM TO MAKE SURE THAT THE BANNER WORKS, SO BE CAREFUL!

MANUAL: If on the subfolder with content to inject you put a 00000005.APP file, the tool will ask if you want to use the electronic users manual that is inside.

SAVE ICON: The same way, if 00000005.APP file is placed on the content subfolder, the tool will ask if you want to use the save icon that is included. Currently this is only supported on SNES and N64 modes, and only the image icon, not the text. On the next version text will be also supported, as NES and NEO GEO modes.

WADS: If you include a WAD file on the subfolder with the ROM file, the tool will ask to use the contents of the wad: BANNER, MANUAL and SAVE ICON.

Another possilibity is, instead of including a ROM on the subfolder and a banner (00000000.APP) or any other kind of content, just placing a WAD file. For example, if you want to inject a SNES USA game on a PAL 60 one, to beeing able to play it at 60hz on a PAL console, you just have to put the USA WAD on the subfolder and write:
VC gradius3.wad folder

This way, the tool will extract the rom from the wad on folder and use it. Also it will ask for using the banner, manual, save icon and ID from the original USA WAD file.

Additional comments about each system:

NES:
Currently is only possible to inject roms of the same size or less than the destiny wad rom size. This means that if you want to inject USA games to PAL 60, you have to use the biggest PAL 60 game so far: Ninja Gaiden (256K rom).

Currently the save icon and its name is not supported on NES mode. It will be in next version.

SNES:
SNES roms on VC games are made of 3 files, the rom and 2 files of upgraded samples. In any case, this is not a problem. If you inject any rom, it will just ignore the new samples, and if you inject directly from another wad, the program will inject the rom and the samples too.

Currently changing the name of the save icon is not supported. It will be in next version.

Currently I think that special chip games (FX, etc) are not supported by the emulator.

N64:
After some testing, I realized that some games work and others don't, but I don't know the reason. It's easy to think that it's just an emulator incompatibility, but the fact that for example 1080 don't work on Sin & Punishment, when 1080 is a release of VC, makes me think there is something bad there. So any test by you is welcome
smile.gif

Currently changing the name of the save icon is not supported. It will be in next version.

NEO GEO:
The NEO GEO emulator is universal, as their roms. This means that if your console is PAL, the emulator will be in PAL mode, if it's USA, USA, and if it's JAP, JAP (I think).
The bad thing about this is that the emulator will never be in PAL 60 mode, at least since we find a way to do so.
The "good thing" is that the emulator in PAL mode optimizes the games so the speed is almost the same as the original in 60hz mode. So, the only bad thing will be the black borders... if your TV is not a 16:9 one xD

Another thing to mention: if you want to create your own VC games that are not released, and you make your own banners (and put them as 00000000.app on the folder), and you don't have a manual, you can put also the 00000004.app file that have been released on this forum that deactivates the manual option on the Wii menu. If the program detects a 00000004.app file on the subfolder, it will use it and also will delete the original manual, because it's not needed anymore. This way, you will not only "beautify" your game without having the manual of another game, but also you will reduce the size of the wad deleting the unneeded manual
wink.gif

Finally, just mention that if you use:
VC game.wad
without specifing a folder, it will ask you to change the region and ID of the wad you specified, creating a new title.wad file with the same content as game.wad but the new region and ID. More or less like "free the wads", I gess.

That's all for now, I know it's not pretty clear, and the program is buggy, but if you use it the way I said, you probably will not have a lot of problems. Any bug reports and questions are apreciated, and I will try to solve them when I have the time
wink.gif

callmebob

The Grandpa of Awe!
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Looks good. Have no time now, but I will try it out after work and report back tommorow.

Hope it uses another method of packing than the other rom injectors, because I only got either wrong sizes, or ticket errors with those. Will see.

Thanx.

sr_corsario

Trophies
XP
Country
callmebob said:
Looks good. Have no time now, but I will try it out after work and report back tommorow.

Hope it uses another method of packing than the other rom injectors, because I only got either wrong sizes, or ticket errors with those. Will see.

Thanx.

With this one no ticket problems at all... (At least during tests or reported by users)

DevilKen

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm sorry, Garou is one of the biggest games so it doesn't work.

Games smaller than 51 megs (the uncompressed romset) seems to work fine
wink.gif

joshwaan2k

Trophies
XP
Country
DevilKen said:
I'm sorry, Garou is one of the biggest games so it doesn't work.

Games smaller than 51 megs (the uncompressed romset) seems to work fine
wink.gif

Is that zipped or unzipped rom?

DevilKen

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Uncompressed = unzipped, yes.

But this is a limitation of the emulator or the wii themselves. The program repacks the roms the same way all of them.

sr_corsario

Trophies
XP
Country
hypochondriac said:
So does anyone have any suggestions of games I should download and test for neogeo?

Try the small ones from this list xD the big ones doesnt work

3 Count Bout ->ok
2020 Super Baseball ->ok
Aggressors of Dark Kombat
Alpha Mission 2 ->ok
Andro Dunos
Art of Fighting ->ok
Art of Fighting 2 ->ok
Art of Fighting 3
Bakatono's Mahjong
Bang Bead
Baseball Stars 2
Baseball Stars Professional
Battle Flip Shot
Blazing Star
Blue's Journey ->ok
Breaker's ->ok
Breaker's Revenge
Burning Fight ->ok
Captain Tomaday
Columns
Crossed Swords
Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon 2003
Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon 2003 Set 2
Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon 2003 Super Plus
Cyber-Lip ->ok
Double Dragon ->ok
Eightman
Fatal Fury ->ok
Fatal Fury 2
Fatal Fury 3
Fatal Fury Special
Fight Fever
Football Frenzy
Galaxy Fight
Ganryu
Garou: Mark of the Wolves
Ghost Lop
Ghost Pilots
Goal! Goal! Goal!
Gururin
Jonas Indiana
Jyanshin Densetsu
Kabuki Klash
King of Gladiator
King of the Monsters
King of the Monsters 2
Kizuna Encounter
King of Fighters 10th Anniversary
King of Fighters 10th Anniversary Extra Plus
King of Fighters 10th Anniversary Unique
King of Fighters '94 ->ok
King of Fighters '95
King of Fighters '96
King of Fighters '96 (Bootleg)
King of Fighters '97
King of Fighters '97 Plus
King of Fighters '97 Plus Set 2
King of Fighters '98
Karnov's Revenge
King of Fighters '99
King of Fighters 2000
King of Fighters 2001
King of Fighters 2001 Plus
King of Fighters 2001 Plus Set 2
King of Fighters 2002
King of Fighters 2002 Plus
King of Fighters 2002 Plus Set 2
King of Fighters 2002 Magic Plus
King of Fighters 2002 Magic Plus 2
King of Fighters 2002 Plus Set 3
King of Fighters 2003
King of Fighters 2004 Hero
King of Fighters 2004 Ultra Plus
King of Fighters Special Edition 2004
King of Fighters Special Edition 2004 Plus
King of Fighters '97 Plus
King of Fighters '98
Lansquenet 2004
Last Resort
League Bowling
Legend of Success Joe
Magical Drop 2 ->ok
Magical Drop 3 ->ok
Magician Lord ->ok
Mahjong Kyoretsuden
Maruko's Deluxe Quiz
Metal Slug ->ok
Metal Slug 2 ->ok
Metal Slug 3
Metal Slug 4
Metal Slug 4 Plus
Metal Slug 5
Metal Slug 5 Plus
Metal Slug X
Minnasanno Okagesa
Money Idol Exchanger
Mutation Nation
Nam-1975 ->ok
Neo Bomberman
Neo Drift Out
Neo-Geo Cup '98
Neo Mr. Do!
Neo no Panepon
Neo Pong
Neo Turf Masters
Nightmare in the Dark ->ok
Ninja Combat
Ninja Commando
Ninja Master's
Over Top ->ok
Panic Bomber
Pleasure Goal
Pochi & Nyaa
Poker Night
Pop 'n Bounce
Power Instinct Matrimelee
Power Spikes 2
Prehistoric Isle 2
Pulstar
Puzzle Bobble
Puzzle Bobble 2
Puzzled
Puzzle de Pon!
Puzzle de Pon! R
Quiz Detective
Quiz Detective Part 2
Quiz King of Fighters
Rage of the Dragons
Ragnagard
Real Bout Fatal Fury
Real Bout Fatal Fury 2
Real Bout Fatal Fury Special ->ok
Riding Hero
Robo Army
Samurai Shodown ->ok
Samurai Shodown II ->ok
Samurai Shodown III
Samurai Shodown IV
Samurai Shodown V
Samurai Shodown V Special
Savage Reign ->ok
Sengoku ->ok
Sengoku 2 ->ok
Sengoku 3 ->ok
Shock Troopers ->ok
Shock Troopers: 2nd Squad
SNK vs. Capcom
SNK vs. Capcom Plus
SNK vs. Capcom Plus Set 2
SNK vs. Capcom Super Plus
Soccer Brawl
Sonic Wings 2 ->ok
Sonic Wings 3 ->ok
Spin Master
Stakes Winner
Stakes Winner 2
Street Hoop
Strikers 1945 Plus
Super Dodge Ball
Super Sidekicks ->ok
Super Sidekicks 2 ->ok
Super Sidekicks 3 ->ok
Syougi no Tatsujin
Tecmo World Soccer '96
The Last Blade
The Last Blade 2
The Super Spy
The Ultimate 2
Thrash Rally
Top Hunter
Top Player's Golf
Twinkle Star Sprites
View Point
Voltage Fighter Gowcaizer
Waku Waku 7 ->ok
Wind Jammers ->ok
World Heroes ->ok
World Heroes 2
World Heroes 2 Jet
World Heroes Perfect
Zed Blade
ZinTrick
Zupapa!

I had test "some" of them... its posible i forget some one...

sr_corsario

Trophies
XP
Country
StuMcBill said:
How can you add Neo-Geo roms?

Mine are zipped, and within the zip files there are various different files!?

In the same folder of the program, unzip the game files into a new folter.

VC\vc.exe -->program
VC\gamefolder -->folder where your game is unzipped (for ex)
VC\myownneogeogame.wad -->your own game (for ex)

Type "vc.exe myownneogeogame.wad gamefolder"

PD:Remember to have common-key.bin file in the program folfer

megabug7

Forum Relic
Trophies
XP
Country
Anyone been successful with injecting Chrono Trigger Retranslation?
unsure.gif

It crashes when the scene switches to Crono sleeping in bed at the start
It also crashes after the title screen when the dragons fly to the castle.

unsure.gif

sr_corsario

Trophies
XP
Country
Wii just have 64 mb of ram. The games from the vc is spected to be charged in it. The total size of the wad file souldnt arrive that size.

No problem with snes games. just "normal" incompatibility

joshwaan2k

Trophies
XP
Country
Quick one with this VC gradius3.wad folder, is there a way of naming the game so it shows when you highlight it in the Wii menu like Autopatcher program does?

Or do I have to unpack and repack editing something else?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr