Hardware Backup GB saves?

xerces

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How can I back up my old saves from Game Boy and Game Boy cartridges? I have an old gameshark with PC linker, but I am unaware if it supports backing up game saves, and before i setup my old computer, I want to make sure it will work... Is there any possible way i can backup game saves?

science

science rules
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I was wondering the same thing. I don't know, but lets me and you hope someone else does
tongue.gif

xerces

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
science said:
I was wondering the same thing. I don't know, but lets me and you hope someone else does
tongue.gif
I'm hoping to find someone who does. I really don't want to lose my nearly 10 year old Pokemon Silver save D-:

Spikey

Your Special Someone
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd like to backup my Pokemon Gold save... and then would hope a save converter comes out for use with the Gold remake on the DS. But the save converter will never happen most likely... just hopefull thinking...

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's no way to do it from within GBA mode since the GBA and GBC operate at different voltages. You'd probably need a GBC flash cart, and even then I don't know the exact procedure you'd use or which software would work.

science

science rules
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
xerces said:
science said:
tongue.gif
I'm hoping to find someone who does. I really don't want to lose my nearly 10 year old Pokemon Silver save D-:

That's the same reason why I wanted it! Except for Pokemon Crystal lol

Saitalv4.0

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
WigWrm said:
For a mere $48.60 you may backup every gameboy gamesave
you've ever wanted! Thats a pretty high price. I got a bung xchanger with
a 64mb flash cartridge for around 30 dollars US, shipped from the UK even!

But if your so inclined for peace of mind...
http://kitsch-bent.embarqspace.com/#/transfererii/4529136163

I actually just ordered one, and am willing to be the guinea pig with this, as soon as it comes in. If it works,

BTW, the gamesaves used on vba are compatible with lameboy (confirmed it myself), and if the saves are the same as the Transferrer II, then there won't be a need for a save converter.

golden

What a Digital Dummy!!!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
My pokemon crystal has nearly 500 hours of gameplay on it and I was in the same boat as you guys wanted desperately to back it up so I found a cheap under $5 solution called the Mega Memory Card. I bought it and tested it myself and it worked great! Unfortunately it can't be hooked to the computer but it will save your game with no battery needed so your save file is safe for all eternity!
gbasp.gif

Saitalv4.0

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Okay, ladies, gents, and poke-holics...it's official. The Transferer II DOES work for eeprom gamesaves...I tested it with Pokemon Yellow, Metroid Fusion, and Zelda: The Minish Cap.

Golden, that "MEGA MEMORY CARD" won't last forever: it uses a battery just like the original cart. I had a Pelican Brainboy, and used it for the same reasons, many moons ago. It actually recently took the dirt nap. Lucky me, I had all those backups working in retail gamepaks, long enough for the transferer II to arrive.

The Transferer II is a great investment, for atleast backing up GBA, GBC, and GB gamesaves. Money wqell spent in my eyes.

However, if someone's not willing to go buy it, I could actually do a fellow gamer a favor, and backup just the gamesaves. Just PM me, we'll work out the shipping, and I'll e-mail the gamesave and the original cart back. Call it a gamer-samaritan.

Edit: For some reason, Zelda: Minish Cap and Zelda: A Link to the Past/Four Swords Adventure gamesaves aren't coming through properly.
Metroid Fusion Saves are, and for the poke-holics, Pokemon Yellow does transfer through just fine.

golden

What a Digital Dummy!!!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Actually, among further inspection of my mega memory card there is no battery to be found. I was worried about the exact thing you said so when I got it I made sure it didn't use the battery mechanism and right now, I just checked it all over again and I can confirm it still doesn't have a battery. The shell is see through yellow so you can see perfectly into the cart and there is no battery unless you are tell me the battery is invisible.
blink.gif
See for yourself:

7152A906SBL._SL500_AA280_.gif

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
http://www.reinerziegler.de/readplus.htm#H...mming%20systems

If you are feeling technically inclined there is a homebrew programmer.

edit in reply to below:
It is a bit more complex than some of the wii stuff people have been doing I admit but 2 fairly basic chips, 2 connectors, 8 capictors, 6 resistors and a couple of other fundamental items does not rate as a complex circuit.
Quite in fact I would be happy making that with a couple of ZIF sockets and a breadboard, the hardest part would probably be pulling a busted GB apart.

Saitalv4.0

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
golden said:
Actually, among further inspection of my mega memory card there is no battery to be found. I was worried about the exact thing you said so when I got it I made sure it didn't use the battery mechanism and right now, I just checked it all over again and I can confirm it still doesn't have a battery. The shell is see through yellow so you can see perfectly into the cart and there is no battery unless you are tell me the battery is invisible.
blink.gif
See for yourself:

7152A906SBL._SL500_AA280_.gif

Wow, I don't mind being wrong about that one. I know for a fact the Pelican Brainboy did actually lose it's memory saving functions. As for the Mega Memory Card, I might actually have invested in that, had I known it didn't use a battery. Saw it on eBay some time ago, and actually thought about it, but the seller was a n00b and didn't want to offer up any intel on a battery or not. But with the exception of the Zelda Gamesaves, I'm happy with the transferer. I've tested successfully that GBC and GB gamesaves work fine with Lameboy, and Metroid Fusion's saves works on my EZ Flash V 3-in-1...

golden

What a Digital Dummy!!!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Ya, I think I got a really good deal backing up my Pokemon save. It only costed me like $7. The only downside is that I can't transfer it to a computer to play on Lameboy but for $7 I think I got a good bang for my buck.
grog.gif

QUOTE said:
It is a bit more complex than some of the wii stuff people have been doing I admit but 2 fairly basic chips, 2 connectors, 8 capictors, 6 resistors and a couple of other fundamental items does not rate as a complex circuit.
Quite in fact I would be happy making that with a couple of ZIF sockets and a breadboard, the hardest part would probably be pulling a busted GB apart.
Maybe someone will be able to part with their old broken GB in the trade/sell section?

Saitalv4.0

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
golden said:
Ya, I think I got a really good deal backing up my Pokemon save. It only costed me like $7. The only downside is that I can't transfer it to a computer to play on Lameboy but for $7 I think I got a good bang for my buck.
grog.gif

QUOTE said:
Maybe someone will be able to part with their old broken GB in the trade/sell section?

Hey, I got the Transferer 2 for the same reason. If you want, send me the cart, and I'll send it back to you, and e-mail the save for Lameboy and VBA. I'm serious.

golden

What a Digital Dummy!!!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Saitalv4.0 said:
golden said:
grog.gif

QUOTE said:

Hey, I got the Transferer 2 for the same reason. If you want, send me the cart, and I'll send it back to you, and e-mail the save for Lameboy and VBA. I'm serious.
Let me see if I can find an extra crystal cartridge. If I can I will definitely do this. For now, I want to find an extra crystal cart.

Ikz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To OP, AFAIK the Gameshark will save it to your computer, but it won't be in a .sav format. It'll be in their weird one, and it probably won't work in emulators. Dunno if a conversion prog exists. But I don't recommend hooking a GB Gameshark up to any computer. My laptop killed one of those the moment I tried to connect it, and I had to get a replacement from the store. Bricked for no reason.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: It's mostly the ones that are just pictures and no instructions at all