PS1/2 I have old phat PS2 and want to play backup games

imtony

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay I have the old phat ps2 and I would like to play backup games on it. My MvC2 is pretty scratched up and I'm thinking about just getting a harddrive attached to my ps2 and put the games on there. I was wondering would I need to open up my ps2 at all? And is there any updated guides on doing this? I heard of the independent exploit for the memory card, but I don't know too much on the subject. And whats the biggest harddrive I can use? thanks

Trolly

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Yeah, I have a phat PS2 as well. It would've been an awesome idea to just install a hard drive, and I'd be away. But my evil PS2 stopped playing CDs and movie DVDs a long time ago. (It still plays games, but takes a long time to load on startup).
To start up the whole thing you need to use a CD if I'm correct? That renders my PS2 useless. Maybe I should see if I can fix the laser though. Anyways, I'll stop moaning.

And as for the hard drive, yeah, you do have to go inside, but it's only a small partition of the PS2 at the back. So you don't really have to do much. Apparently it's as easy as pie.

Anyways, another drawback on the whole thing is it's incredibly time-consuming to set up, and you won't exactly find any of the hard-drives for cheap. I searcched on eBay, and they were all at least $100. Not good.

If I ever get the urge to play through all the old classic PS2 games, I'll just buy a second hand, already modded PS2. Not trying to put you off the softmod or anything lol, but I just felt it was unnecessarily hard to carry out.

And you just need to Google "PS2 softmod" and you'll probably find some guides.

Tri3dgE

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Well if you have an extra PC hard disk, you can use that as a loader (and it saves you the wear and tear in the lens that you get from playing games). If your interested try google it, you do need an HD Loader disk though
dry.gif

abort_user

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I cant get Memor32/Memento working on my fat. Also if you use a HDD you need to buy a network adapter. Those are pretty rare now.

imtony

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just went to the mall today and stopped by gamestop, which had about 4-5 network adapters for 15 dollars each lol. I picked one up. Does anyone know if my 160 Maxtor IDE Hard drive would work with the ps2? I was going to take it out and use it for the PS2. And I was wondering whats the cheapest way to softmod my PS2 now that I have the network adapter?

Edit: I just made a slide tool and i tested taking the tray out and locking the white piece back in place and it works so yeah. Now what?
I want to use that FreeVast thing or whatever that recently came out.
http://bootleg.sksapps.com/tutorials/freeosd/
And I want to use a harddrive to store my backup games on to save my laser from dying. I'll get a swap magic to get it working if i have to, but which one would let me boot stuff from the USB Drive or homebrew? Thanks! and uhh Wheres the cheapest place to get a swap magic?
edit: Could I use a gameshark or action replay to do it also? thanks

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you should have bought all of their adapters sell them on ebay and such for alot money

also if you have action replay max evo or something
you can just transfer the hacked game save for the ps1 game to boot into uLauncherElf

Jack-Of-Trades

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just don't get a mod chip for it...
Mars2 Has 26 solder points... NO JOKE

The 7 wires on my psx was a pain in the ass can't imagine doing 26...

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Jack-Of-Trades said:

they have solderless chips that just clip over the current chips

DMS4 E.Z.I. Lite and Pro

imtony

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I didn't know there was that much profit I could've made lol.
But I bought a Code Breaker 8.1, Plan on using the exploit to load up FreeVast to my memory card and then get a HD later to add on.

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Jack-Of-Trades said:

So? , just because you fail at soldering doesn't mean everyone else does , if you can fit it or can find some one to , then a mod is a good choice.

Jack-Of-Trades

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
So? , just because you fail at soldering doesn't mean everyone else does , if you can fit it or can find some one to , then a mod is a good choice.

I no where near fail at soldering but the majority of people are gonna screw it up...

And personally i wouldn't want a spider web of wires in the ps2 that if jarred wrong or closing it improperly can undo a wire which makes you have to do it again just a pain in the freaking ass but if you like breathing in fumes of lead + rosin core go ahead and risk the cancer

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Jack-Of-Trades said:
QUOTE said:

I no where near fail at soldering but the majority of people are gonna screw it up...

And personally i wouldn't want a spider web of wires in the ps2 that if jarred wrong or closing it improperly can undo a wire which makes you have to do it again just a pain in the freaking ass but if you like breathing in fumes of lead + rosin core go ahead and risk the cancer

Yet you can't even fit a simple ps1 chip without cocking it up and having wires come loose or tin a simple point without being scared of the solder going where you don't want it , that =fail. As for wires coming loose on a ps2 , if soldered properly they won't , a solid joint will require a good tug at it to get it off , it won't come off from just a bump. As for the fumes , don't breath them in then it aint hard , you don't have to sniff the joints while your soldering or just use an extractor to get rid of em.

Bloodgod

嵐の王
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
imtony said:
I didn't know there was that much profit I could've made lol.
But I bought a Code Breaker 8.1, Plan on using the exploit to load up FreeVast to my memory card and then get a HD later to add on.

That your best choice.
  • You don't have to get those swap disks w/slide tool. Homebrew has Cogswap and you can make your own slide card.
  • No need to buy HDLoader/USBxtreme. Homebrew has ported over those programs into .elf files *See pic I posted above*

Trolly

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Aha, I'm back now. I thought I'd buy the PS2 slim that had Swap Magic and Flip Lid from the trading forum. But guess what? Unlucky me got scammed out of nearly £40.
So now I've got to join you in the search for a good way of playing backups. But I have a big obstacle in the way, as my ooooold PS2 Phat (V4 I think) doesn't allow for a flip-top lid (as far as I know) and it stopped playing CD games a long time ago (that includes PSX games
mad.gif
). I'm thinking my cheapest option is to get a no-solder modchip. If anyone knows a cheaper alternative that I could use, or the best value no-solder modchip that will allow me to play backups, I'd be really grateful.
Thanks!

xalphax

Internet killed the Ponystar.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Croatia
Trolly said:
Aha, I'm back now. I thought I'd buy the PS2 slim that had Swap Magic and Flip Lid from the trading forum. But guess what? Unlucky me got scammed out of nearly £40.
So now I've got to join you in the search for a good way of playing backups. But I have a big obstacle in the way, as my ooooold PS2 Phat (V4 I think) doesn't allow for a flip-top lid (as far as I know) and it stopped playing CD games a long time ago (that includes PSX games
mad.gif
). I'm thinking my cheapest option is to get a no-solder modchip. If anyone knows a cheaper alternative that I could use, or the best value no-solder modchip that will allow me to play backups, I'd be really grateful.
Thanks!

how about this:

use free mc boot to load hd loader from memory card and play the games from hdd?

install the games via winhiip on the computer.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night