Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Sometimes a fire just won't go out. Turkmenistan is home to a place called Darvaz, nicknamed by locals "the door to hell."

The story of this place lasts already for 35 years. Once the geologists were drilling for gas. Then suddenly during the drilling they have found an underground cavern, it was so big that all the drilling site with all the equipment and camps got deep deep under the ground. None dared to go down there because the cavern was filled with gas. So they ignited it so that no poisonous gas could come out of the hole, and since then, it's burning, already for 35 years without any pause.

ohmy.gif

Rehehelly

Trophies
XP
Country
fischju said:
It seems like they could capture the gas and use it as an energy source rather than just burning it.

Too dangerous now I assume, if you looked at the vid and there is a person on the left side, then it's massive.

You can't get builders to work over a fire. I wonder how much heat that must be coming off that.

Anyway, that's pretty damn cool. Like coal mine fires, they can burn for centuries, and just can't be put out.

OSW

Wii King
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
i googled it. apprantly it's actually in Turkmenistan...

looks bloody incredible though... and scary.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Destructobot said:
Is bacon legal in that country?

If it's Turkmenistan, who knows. Turkmenbasy has outlawed bananas, flutes, the number two, the colour blue, and monkeys. Why not bacon? Who knows what else is technically illegal there at the moment, because the new government is too busy changing the names of months and days of the week back to normal to deal with such trivialities as bacon.
wink.gif

I kid you not.

Westside

Sogdiana
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Uzbekistan
Bacons are legal in my country, as almost 40% of population there is Russians... There is no "Din" in a secular state as in Islamic law, it's called "Qanun" instead, which is not related to religion.
Also, Darvaz does not mean anything significant, lol. It just means "gate". Hell gate is called "Do'zax Darvazi".

If you guys want to know cool places in Uzbekistan, there is a place called Samarkand, which in Final Fantasy X, Zanarkand is based off of. This city is once one of the most powerful city in the middle east, came to ruins and now it is rebuilt
samarkand.jpg

samarkand.gif

samarkand_ulugbek_madrasah.jpg

buchara_portal.jpg

samarkand15-15.jpg

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

eof

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: It's mostly the ones that are just pictures and no instructions at all