jaxxster

The Heretic
OP
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
So after recently snapping my wiis laser ribon cable i seeked help and advice from my local modder and thakfully he has a spare wii laser. He asked me to find him instructions replacing it so does anyone here know of any guides how to replace the actual laser?

Many thanks!

ChampionTWH

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It ain't hard. if he's a modder i'm surprised he need instructions.

1) take apart wii and get to the dvd drive

2) undo 2 screws on the dvd drive board, unclip all the bus ribbon connectors, and lastly unhook the wires which are hard soldered from their 'routing' clips... no you can move the board to the side

3) undo 1 screw (now exposed) holding the metal cover plate and unhook the 4 small side clips holding it in place, gently manuover the plate out

4) with metal plate removed undo the small screw and bracket which covers/holds the left had side rail in place, view with the worm arm mechanism to the left, the guide rail can now be moved out via the hole in the casing where the bracket was covering

5) lift out laser assembly and swap the worm arm guide from old laser to new one (1 tiny screw)

6) refit by reversing instruction

7) don't forget to remove the static protection solder blob on the laser ribbon connector (near where it fits to the board).. only applies if the laser is brand new.

note.. specific instructions make it sound harder than it is, basically it's just remove a few screws, withdraw slide rail.

ChampionTWH

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes it is, only knowledge needed...

1) how to undo screws

2) how to remove the ribbon cables, there are 3 types on the wii dvd drive board, 1 flip catch (biggest one, with brown flip catch, you flip it), 2 with side catch types (just pull the 2 side latches out on each side of the ribbon cable, and 1 push/pull fit (with no catch, it's the smallest one)... just make sure that when you are refitting that the bus ribbon cables are pushed all the way in before secureing the catches

3) how to remove the solder blob on the new laser.. and more importantly be aware that it needs removing on a new laser before it will work

4) thats it

jaxxster

The Heretic
OP
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Cheers for the help. I emailed him your guide and he said he felt dumb he overlooked step 4! By no means is this guy dumb.

Luckily enough he as the spare laser and can fix my wii for me. Last time i attempt to tweak the laser.

Kratozero

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Hey, i don't get the solder blob stuff, what do you have to do? what is it?, where is it? and what do you do to it?

EmperorOfCanada

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
ChampionTWH said:
It ain't hard. if he's a modder i'm surprised he need instructions.

There are tons of good guides with pictures and videos out there for modding a wii. Anyone and their dog can do it., I wouldnt know where to begin with a lazer. (However good instructions like yours are a big help in the right direction)
smile.gif

smileyone

Trophies
XP
Country
jaxxster said:
So after recently snapping my wiis laser ribon cable i seeked help and advice from my local modder and thakfully he has a spare wii laser. He asked me to find him instructions replacing it so does anyone here know of any guides how to replace the actual laser?

Many thanks!

Here is a link to a youtube video for a complete guide to remove and replace the laser..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVa7tnKS16Y

Thought I would share it coz I couldn't find one anywhere else and found this post before the video.

biggrin.gif

jjthemanjj

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Personally, I think it would be best just to phone Nintendo up...i did it... even though my warranty was up, and got the replacement free. now i guess it might depend on the representative you talk to, but it worked for me... Phone up nintendo... tell them u have a friend who had a wii, it broke, the warranty was up and they had it replaced for free(u must be convincing here, and seem a bit angry) They will reluctantly tell u that nintendo has a policy that if ur warranty is up... and u have not had a repair ever before.. they give u a discount... then they will ask u how much u think u can pay... tell them u shouldn't pay anything because ur wii shouldn't break... then after giving them all ur info.. u have ur wii repaired for free
tongue.gif

P.S. Sometimes they make u pay for shipping!!!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    The fuuuuu---
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I thought it was an actual xBox at that price.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I wanna grab a 360 Slim and a 360 E one of these days. Missed the boat of getting them at their lowest though, once they were discontinued. Could've got them for cheap back when I was a broke 20 something working at Target, but then again, I was a broke 20 something working at Target
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Being broke is no fun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Communism lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    OUR products
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped chinese crap
    +1
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped... +1