sekhu

moo?
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I don't really get them, are they converted from ISOs? Most, well may be all, of the backups I've found are ISO format, not CSO. I assume the cso offers some space saving, so is it best to run CSOs or ISOs? Are there any advantages in using one over the other?

Cheers

arctic_flame

GBAtemp ATMEGA8 Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
CSOs are simply ISOs compressed with a fast algorithm. There's not many reasons not to use CSOs, but some games lag slightly when compressed (GTA is one).

sekhu

moo?
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
all right, thanks for the quick response
smile.gif

[M]artin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've never run into any problems when compressing an ISO into a CSO (with UMDGEN) and then running it on the PSP (but that's just my experience, I've also never played GTA).

In fact, deleting the "Update" folder from the ISO (which you never need) and then compressing it into a CSO can save you quite a bit of space (hundreds of mb's from what I've done with it)...

pitoui

Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks UMDGen works great.
Is there a way to isolate videos(cut scenes etc) from the iso? I need to take off another 40megs off Pursuit force 2 to fit on my measly 1gb card.

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
QUOTE([M said:
artin @ Jan 12 2008, 09:45 PM)]In fact, deleting the "Update" folder from the ISO (which you never need) and then compressing it into a CSO can save you quite a bit of space (hundreds of mb's from what I've done with it)...

removing the update from every game doesn't work for all games, games like gripshift won't boot if you do that, also some games that are compressed to cso tend to go really slow and effect gameplay, i just leave the isos as they are most of the time.

hollabackitsobi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The lag thing is overrated. Sure it will lag if you have a slow memory stick and a your CPU set at 222 MHz, but if you buy a faster memory stick (I'd recommend a Sandisk Ultra II 4GB) and set your PSP's CPU to 333 MHz, you'll have no problems with anything. Plus, the space you save will be handy.

myuusmeow

Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States
The lag thing is overrated. Sure it will lag if you have a slow memory stick and a your CPU set at 222 MHz, but if you buy a faster memory stick (I'd recommend a Sandisk Ultra II 4GB) and set your PSP's CPU to 333 MHz, you'll have no problems with anything. Plus, the space you save will be handy.
Very handy.
For example:
GTA LCS Ripped CSO = ~309mB
GTA LCS Ripped ISO = ~630 or so mB (Same thing as the above but in regular ISO format)
~330 mB could be 2 more games such as Ratchet and Clank and Lemmings.

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country

i have 4gb memory stick, plenty of space i tend not to rip anything from the game as i don't like incomplete isos, i don't mine reducing the file size to a lower quality for small games but not removing stuff, not that you can remove all of it anyway.

arctic_flame

GBAtemp ATMEGA8 Fan
Trophies
XP
Country

Sure, everyone loves a battery life of 30 minutes (small exaggeration). (Also: GTA still lags on a fast card at 333 Mhz, but only GTA)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Musk sues Hyundai in 3... 2... 1...