Hacking CycloDS - does it matter which memory card?

shooshoo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hey everyone

I wanted to get a flash cart and I was reading about the CycloDS and it sounded pretty good. I'm aware that it just came out though so I'm just waiting a bit to see if people are going to put any reviews up about it. I originally wanted to get the R4 but then it seemed like a lot of people were saying that it's recommended that you get a Japanese-made Kingston memory card to prevent slow downs in some games. Is the CycloDS the same way, do you need to have a certain brand of memory card or else you will experience issues like with the R4?

Thanks for any comments

Slave

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I have an M3 Simply (which is the SAME as R4) and I have a Sandisk 1gb micro SD... which is pretty much the low end of Micro SD, never had a single slowdown ever...

Actually never heard of anyone ever having a single slowdown on the M3 Simply/R4... I guess if you have any slowdowns, means you havent formated your micro sd correctly.

I think it is weird that the Cyclo has an option for this when everyone doesnt want any slowdowns, Cyclo makes an option out of it lol

shinji257

Trophies
Website
www.elite-systems.org
XP
Country
United States
On slower microsd cards yes. I didn't have any issues with my 1GB Kingston (Japan) microsd card. I only checked the castlevania games though. I didn't check the tony hawk games at all.

Destructobot

Crave the Hammer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Even though you can make it through the game for Castlevania with the 1GB Kingston, it still does not run as well as internal memory cards such as the N-Card or the G6DS Real.
Please elaborate. I never noticed any issues of any sort with PoR on the M3 Simply using a Japanese Kingston 1GB card. It certainly didn't "lag" in any way.

As for Downhill Jam, that game slows down on the R4/Simply no matter what SD card you use.

shinji257

Trophies
Website
www.elite-systems.org
XP
Country
United States
Please do. I have 2 of those Kingston microSD cards made in Japan. Make sure your Kingston card is manufactured in Japan because the ones made in other countries are not as fast. I had gotten mine from Newegg.com and Meritline.com I think. Both places had genuine cards and were cheap ($10-$15 ea.). With eBay there is always a risk involved as sometimes you may get fake or counterfeit items via eBay and in some cases not know it.

dcxbox

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Please do. I have 2 of those Kingston microSD cards made in Japan. Make sure your Kingston card is manufactured in Japan because the ones made in other countries are not as fast. I had gotten mine from Newegg.com and Meritline.com I think. Both places had genuine cards and were cheap ($10-$15 ea.). With eBay there is always a risk involved as sometimes you may get fake or counterfeit items via eBay and in some cases not know it.
know any links to a legit 2 gig one. ? i never bought one and i just am looking for the real thing, i dont feel liek wasting money. you can just pm me if ya want or post it here.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night