Hacking R4/M3S and 4GB cards?

Flozem

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
If I remember correctly, the specs on the official R4 site state it should be able to handle 4GB cards...

iwakura

HHNNNNNNGGGG
Trophies
Website
flashcartreviews.com
XP
Country
United States
but the way HC cards and normal cards arrange their memory is completely different, hence the ability to carry much more memory. i personally doubt the R4 team read so far ahead and predictted how the memory would be stored, and matched their R4 carts accordingly.

nickvv

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
It definietely DOES NOT support SDHC cards. I have one of the recently released SanDisk 4GB MicroSDHC cards and R4 freezes at the loading screen, I assume while its trying unsuccessfully to read from the card. This is very unfortunate, as if the R4's built in loader cannot access a MicroSDHC card to load the OS then it will not be possible for R4 to support these cards through a software update. Assuming R4 adds support in the future, you would need to buy a new device to take advantage of this.

FifthE1ement

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know why not? The cards should be backwards compatible, and unless supported SDHC the device will not take advantage of the extra features. If running FAT32 there should be no reason why this shouldn't work... Hmm, I'll have to do some research. Do you have any other linkers to test this on? Where did you buy it and how much did it cost you?

Thanks,

FifthE1ement
grog.gif

nickvv

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Thats the thing, SDHC cards are not backwards compatible; the protocol is different. They will only work on a host which supports SDHC. I only have a R4 to test and I can assure you that it does not work, however I have no problems accessing the card with my SDHC compliant card reader or my digital camera (using the supplied MicroSD -> Standard SD adapter). I'm not sure exactly where the card came from, I had a friend send it over from the USA. It cost about US$100 - quite expensive now but I dont see the price staying that high for very long.

Agjsdfd

My title
Trophies
XP
Country
It should work with 4Gb card.
I havent tested it yet myself but...
You can get 10-15 times 1GB card(amazon) for the price of one 4GB microSD card.

So would you like to get 10-15GB or 4GB
laugh.gif

Zombie_X

Trophies
Website
www.zombie-x.com
XP
Country
United States
There are 4GB MicroSD cards out since I use one on my R4, I don't know what brand it is cause i got it off Amazon as OEM. It was some no name brand but it works good, slow but good.

dbgtdob

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There are 4GB MicroSD cards out since I use one on my R4, I don't know what brand it is cause i got it off Amazon as OEM. It was some no name brand but it works good, slow but good.
4gb micro sd not sdhc?

i think you mean 4GBit micro sd (512mb).

i thought micro sd only went up to 2gb, and you need to buy a sdhc for higher (they are on sale at verizon stores right now).

Maikel Steneker

M3 Fanboy
Trophies
Website
ndss.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands

4gb micro sd not sdhc?

i think you mean 4GBit micro sd (512mb).

i thought micro sd only went up to 2gb, and you need to buy a sdhc for higher (they are on sale at verizon stores right now).
I think he's right. It's possible to make 4 GB SD-cards which are not SDHC. There are SDHC ones too though...

Xeijin

Trophies
Website
www.xeijin.org
XP
Country
i think theyll release a 4gb non sdhc, when they come out with new chips

I doubt it. I think the whole reason for microSDHC was that the regular microSD format has reached it's limit in terms of memory capacity.

The only things microSDHCs and regular microSDs have in common are their sizes AFAIK.

Would a firmware update bring SDHC functionality to the R4DS? (I doubt it somehow)

faiyez

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
An extremely stupid question but I just wanna make sure: is R4DS compatible with Sandisk 2GB Micro SD?

mrbass

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
http://www.m3adapter.com/SLOT-1/faq.htm

Q: How many files can I have on the M3DS Simply?
A: M3DS Simply supports 128MB~4GB SD/TF (MicroSD) card , 4GB=32Gbit.

Why they state 4GB is beyond me.

http://www.sdcard.org/sd_memorycard/Simpli...ecification.PDF
from page 5

3.3 Card Capacity
In terms of capacity, two types of SD Memory Cards are defined:

• Standard Capacity SD Memory Cards supports capacity up to and including 2 G bytes (231 bytes).
All versions of the Physical Specifications define the Standard Capacity SD Memory Card.
• High Capacity SD Memory Cards supports capacity more than 2 G bytes (231 bytes) and this version
of specification limits capacity up to and including 32 GB. High Capacity SD Memory Card is newly
defined from the Physical Layer Specification Version 2.00.
Only hosts that are compliant to the Physical Layer Specification version 2.00 or higher and the SD File
System Specification Ver2.00 can access High Capacity SD Memory Cards. Other hosts fail to initialize
High Capacity SD Memory Cards (See Figure 3-1).

Note:
1. The Part 1 Physical Layer Specification Version 2.00 and Part 2 File System Specification
Version 2.00 allow Standard Capacity SD Memory Cards to have capacity up to and
including 2 GB and High Capacity SD Memory Cards to have capacity up to and including
32 GB. SD Memory Cards with a capacity greater than 32 GB will be available with updated
versions of Part 1 and Part 2 Specifications.
2. Hosts that can access (read and/or write) SD Memory Cards with a capacity greater than 2
GB and up to and including 32 GB, shall also be able to access SD Memory Cards with a
capacity of 2 GB or less.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: Que dices?