Wii Solderless Mod Chip

Solderless Mod chip Survey

• Not modded but I'm waiting for a solderless solution.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Modded but I would switch over to solderless solution.

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • I'll get a solderless solution then a Wii.

• Not interested at all.

• We have enough wii chips.

• Total voters

Takrin

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Posting this here, since my project isn't certain, i did spend some time doing some diagram of a circuit board and came out with a few ok diagrams, i'm about to produce some prototypes if enough people are interested. simply i'm planning to adhere the mod chip using double sided tape like adhesive or perhaps something else depending on which board i decide to produce.

Thing is the prototype wont cost me much but final product will cost some money, i cant mass produce them so i will be ordering a pcb then soldering the parts on (perhaps maybe i can also make a kit option you make it yourself and a assembled version). anyone know anything about cheap PCB production? like info on who wiikey cloners use or wiikey/cyclowiz themselves use?

I really am not up to programming a entire new chip, so i will use homebrew chips with their permission, prob include a programmer also until dvd upgrade is available. Chips will be most likely be one or all of Openwii, Chiip, Wiifree meaning 3 different version if i get permission. else i'll get some IT bridge monkies (engineers) to build a new mod chip from ground up and cut them in on the profit (if so the costs wont be cheap) i plan to sell the chips at little profit gain, instead of making money off it, i want very little after production cost + $1-$3 at most, also the price will drop if dvd upgrade is available since programmer wont be needed.

the new wii drive that was revised would require 1 wire soldered to the chip leg so it will be 1 wire mod chip (maybe i can find a way to make this solderless also but i doubt it)

then again if it doesnt work out well i'll prob give the diagram to open source community in case someone wants to build one. that is if the prototype works out well, which i dont see why it wont.

kirra

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
More options mean more competition means better prices? Maybe, but I think a solderless one would allow more people to be "pirates"
wink.gif

Tomobobo

Champion.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's no way a solderless solution would work well. Tape? Are you serious? At least with the Xbox 1 chips they had a screw right next to the points. The wii, there's nothing to latch on to. Tape? Hot glue? What are you going to use to get the thing to stay?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hmm a solderless chip, personally soldering does not bother me but I am sure it would help some people and having it all in one package would be nice as well.

Most PCBs I make are one off/batch of 10 things but mass production is a bit more complex, I suggest using predipped boards and then it is a simple matter of heating solder with the component touching.
These guys were used back in the passme1/2 days and are pretty good (quality pre dipped and drilled PCBs are fairly low cost, I estimate $5 most for a pcb: $2.50 per square inch), just fire them a gerber file):
http://www.batchpcb.com/

I say just build programmers on stripboard, unless you want to build more than about 50000 (at which point I would consider a spell of hiding from nintendo's black ops team) then it will be no cheaper. It will also help should dvd upgrades appear as it means you will not have designed a redundant PCB.

The nearest holes you have are a fair distance away and I am not sure that they would be viable for anything other than a metal/rigid plastic strip.

Takrin

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
there are some nice double sided adhesives, also the drive really sits in a tight space unlike xbox,so it shouldnt be hard to use that, ie have a foam double sided tape to prevent the chip from sliding around. unless you throw your wii around the chip shouldnt come off since theres double sided tape on 1 side and double sided foam tape on other.

also thought of using Heatsink spring method that would use push up agaisnt the circuit board and the metal part it also would push the chip to the drive board with the spring.

my main goal is a solderless circuit board for open source chips basicly a solderless wiip. not a addition to the market with a new mod chip.

forgot to mention there also will be 5 pads to allow soldered install.

Takrin

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
low as possible, really want to charge about same as wiip or less, was aiming for wiikey clone price but i wouldnt be able to include the programmer like $10-$12. still trying to find a cheap pcb production place atm. board is about 22mm x 9mm, tiny bit smaller then wiikey

Takrin

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Heres the Art print out (pic12f629 openwii/wiifree/wiiska), 1:1 size of the chip, also need to add 5 pins for the programmer prob expand the chip and add it to the left of the PIC.

still no product atm, its so tiny that its going to be hard to etch myself so i'll prob just do a small order of 20 or so maybe give a few out on forums

this version is going to be held with adhesive foam on where the chip seats, and a adhesive double sided tape on the side where the pads touches the wii.

anyhow heres some pictures (Acual size of it) compared to clone wiikey also. still a concept art no real product

i did find a cheap pcb fab, they wanted $0.99 for square inch + $18 setup fee but they wanted $60 shipping... so still looking.

solderless.jpg

solderless2.jpg

Takrin

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
nope it wont work via solderless for lifted pad, but at the bottom of the solderless board there are 5 pads which can be used to solder the chip directly onto the wii
so its solder/solderless just added in the option just in case

i was wondering also, if i should include a smd switch to turn the chip off and on? only problem is that it would require you to open the wii to disable or remove the smd switch and solder on your own switch with wires

shadowboy

:D
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Just got to say that this looks awesome and if it gets of the ground well with good firmware (I want to play the (J) Bleach game on my (U) wii, I will pick one of these up for sure.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
@shadowboy it is my understanding to do that homebrew code/custom firmware would be needed (I assume current region free patchers do not work).

Back on topic this seems to be coming along fast, something got me thinking though. Scorpei and a few others made serial port adaptors (ok it was just a d-sub end that was used but you get the idea):
http://wii.scorpei.com/Guides.html
Might is be easier to throw together a board/strip of plastic with the the required trace and dimensions and throw that to a connector and then to the chip (scorpei used stripboard in one shot and I do not see why that can not be done here either). You have the added bonus that if you did it right any chip could be installed and should you want a self destruct button you could have it quite easily, you could even attract the developers crowd.

The costs of manufacture and initial setup are pretty low (you can get photodeveloping stuff for marginally more than conventional stuff and a UV source is not that hard to come by).

Takrin

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
thanks FAST6191, for some reason i kept thinking the link you gave me was pcbexpress which was trying to rape me with prices, but clicked your link and found out it was another place. ordered 3x boards for prototypes 2x chip per 1x1 board so i should have 6, will post pictures and info on how it is when it comes in.

amptor

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
hey nice knock-off wiikey u got there buddy, obvious clone
biggrin.gif

well anyway back on topic.. reason why those surface mounted solderless solutions don't work well, as any electrical engineer who has any brains about his field will tell you, is that the connections you are touching together oxidize and most often are already oxidized pretty bad when you get the product to your door step. So then you can clean those off and put in your solderless solution, but they will oxidize again. You'd be smarter to just solder the points.

The only solderless solution I would trust is one that plugs into ribbon cables that were already factory installed. I think the qoob chip had one such cable attached but the rest of the chip needed to be soldered on.

So yes solderless is a good idea, but it depends on how it is applied. If it isn't by a ribbon cable, then it generally is a bad idea.

If anyone doesn't know what I'm talking about with the term "oxidation", look it up. Basically the reason why most of the components you look at have a dull tone to them is because they are already oxidized and that will interfere with electricity flow. That's why they suggest you clean the pads when you mod PS2 systems and also pre-tin the mod chip's legs or pads depending on what package you have. If there was no oxidation at all, you wouldn't really need to tin anything.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

eof

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: butte