ROM Hack A first course in romhacking

• Thread starter Deleted User
  • Start date
  • Views 3,006
  • Replies 9
D

Deleted User

OP
I'm currently in the process of making a course of romhacking. The purpose is to take by hand the beginner into a rom translation project. The game choosen to be translated is Picross DS.
It is as of today, in an early stage, but you can check it here : romhackcourse.pdf

I will bump this topic each time it is updated. If you are interested, feel free to tell it here
wink.gif

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It is always nice to see guides to romhacking, the DS especially (most of the rom hacking communities I float past seem to be only just making a start on PS1 and N64 stuff).

Anyhow a nice start there, I had hoped to make serious inroads into my guide by the end of march but research put a stop to that plan.
If I could make a suggestion though: a lot of people I have "taught" tend to benefit from a quick hex refresher/crash course and having the whole big endian little endian thing explained.

Extensions, aside from SDAT and to a lesser extent plt and games made by the same devs, do not often carry across games either so it could be dangerous to place emphasis on it.

Speaking of SDAT I have a fair bit of data on their structure/layout if you wanted it.

Dirtie

:'D
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
The way I found palettes was:

Load up the rom in Desmume, use the palette editor, take a screenshot (of the palette), get the RGB values for one of the colours, enter them into "Snes palette editor" (it'll automatically covert them into 5 bit-per-channel format) where you can then search for matches for that colour, and from there take a look through your matches to find the correct palette by looking and seeing if the other colours in the palette are there.

There are times where the method may or may not be more useful, but I just thought I'd throw it out there, and of course it only applies to BGR555 (SNES/GBA/NDS) palette formats.

All I know is that it made it really easy to find palettes for my project
tongue.gif

D

Deleted User

OP
It doesn't really matter, for learning purpose. Pus, even if it comes out, I plan to show how we can hack a game into fooling it to get custom puzzles.
Plus, picross DS is one of the rare small games sensitive to data modifications (if you unpack it and repack it with ndstool it doesn't run anymore). So it able me to talk a bit about how to fix such issues.
If you add the fact that total modifications would be really cool (for example remaking the old gb picross). All in all it is a good choice...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLN9qrJ8ESs