mflo

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Looking at the NDS' graphical capabilities, I think that Square-Enix could remake FF7-FF9 for the NDS.
A remake wouldn't be bad, They could keep the picture backgrounds like in the PSX version but remodel the characters a bit. The NDS Lite has beaten the psp in sales right? Square-Enix would definitely make money if they did remake FF7-FF9. I wonder if they ever thought about it, they probably have for the PSP.

Harsky

Madmin
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Seeing as the FF7 game span out on 3 CDs, that would be impossible unless it goes for the Xenogear (or was it Xenosaga?) route and REALLY downgrade the game. Besides, the PSP can run PSX games recently.

S

spectral

Looking at the NDS' graphical capabilities, I think that Square-Enix could remake FF7-FF9 for the NDS.
A remake wouldn't be bad, They could keep the picture backgrounds like in the PSX version but remodel the characters a bit. The NDS Lite has beaten the psp in sales right? Square-Enix would definitely make money if they did remake FF7-FF9. I wonder if they ever thought about it, they probably have for the PSP.

While the NDS is more than powerful enough to handle a port of FFVII-IX, the size of the game carts is far too small. FFVII is 3 700MB CD's. That is much much more than a NDS cart can hold.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
For the record every disc had the entire game sans FMV on it (replace one of the discs in play and you will continue fine but FMV will be from other areas of the game).

butaro

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Seeing as the FF7 game span out on 3 CDs, that would be impossible unless it goes for the Xenogear (or was it Xenosaga?) route and REALLY downgrade the game. Besides, the PSP can run PSX games recently.

dont know what you were talking about here the games are totally different.

and as for ff7 it could be possible, if it was redone, the screen is smaller so fmv wouldnt have to be as big as well as the sprites and graphics. i believe 512/1gig can fit on a ds cart if they really wanted to

mflo

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Thats why I said "remake" for the NDS. As in remaking it to fit. If they could possibly port it, it would definitely NOT work. Nintendo could also upgrade the carts or something, Look at the microSDs, they're tiny and there are 4 GB ones...

S

spectral

Thats why I said "remake" for the NDS. As in remaking it to fit. If they could possibly port it, it would definitely NOT work. Nintendo could also upgrade the carts or something, Look at the microSDs, they're tiny and there are 4 GB ones...

They cant upgrade the cart size. The DS hardware has a limit on the maximum amount it can be, think its 1GBIT but could be wrong on that. As for it being remade to fit, it'd end up being a pile of crap if they had to shrink it that much.

T-hug

Always like this.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
GBAtemp.net
XP
I saw a rumor a while back that Square-pEnix were already working on a remake/sequal/prequal/hybrid of 7 for PSP. Also as everyone has already said, the psx on psp is excellent atm with i'd guess around 80% of games working flawlessly and $ony improving compatibility all the time. I just wish they'd get FF8 working past certain fights as its the only FF I've never played
biggrin.gif
The ds could only dream of running games and emus this good. I'm no fanboy I love all gaming machines but now is THE time to have a psp man.
As for the cart size argument, surely if they were to invest that much in porting/remaking for the ds they could at least use multiple cards, 1per cd etc. Can't see it myself for reasons I've already stated
yaypsp.gif

/me goes bed

HugeCock

Oh My....
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Dunno...DS version of FFIII is pretty nice looking so I think it could be done assuming the 1Gbit could handle the size.....some improvements in story and graphics would be welcomed as well as removing the stupid enemies like "Evil Houses"? A remake would sell like hot cakes...okay and what about this....put the game on TWO 1Gbit DS cards? Have a moment where the game swaps carts storing your save into the 4Mb memory on the system? Swapping seems like a stupid thing but concidering you only would do it once in like 40 hours....people might not object?

S

spectral

Dunno...DS version of FFIII is pretty nice looking so I think it could be done assuming the 1Gbit could handle the size.....some improvements in story and graphics would be welcomed as well as removing the stupid enemies like "Evil Houses"? A remake would sell like hot cakes...okay and what about this....put the game on TWO 1Gbit DS cards? Have a moment where the game swaps carts storing your save into the 4Mb memory on the system? Swapping seems like a stupid thing but concidering you only would do it once in like 40 hours....people might not object?

Problem is the cut scenes would need removing and would generally seen as a downgrade. FFIII was remade and looks good, but the original game itself was tiny so it wasn't hard to add improvements. IIRC part of the reason FFVII was on the PS is because carts were inadequate.

Disturbed1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Problem is the cut scenes would need removing and would generally seen as a downgrade. FFIII was remade and looks good, but the original game itself was tiny so it wasn't hard to add improvements. IIRC part of the reason FFVII was on the PS is because carts were inadequate.

Carts at that time maybe, but with advances in compression technology, I see no reason why they couldn't fit FF7 on a DS cart.

As a side note, I agree with Thug about the PSP, and see no reason for FF7-9 to even be ported/remade at all.

Hooya

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
There's no way they could get all of FFVII including FMV's (even with the ActImagine codec) to fit in 128MB, which is the maximum size of a DS cart.

Not gonna happen.

You can keep dreaming though.

Lacrimosa

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
There's no way they could get all of FFVII including FMV's (even with the ActImagine codec) to fit in 128MB, which is the maximum size of a DS cart.

Why they have to use only ONE ds card?
huh.gif
Why they don't make an adventure (or rpg, or anything) game that fits in two -or maybe three- cards? That way they could impove the graphic section and make a game that will be huge.

And I'm sure that they'll find a way to change cards while playing...

reaperman@home

Trophies
Website
www.geocities.com
XP
Country
128MB, which is the maximum size of a DS cart.

I believe that is bullshit.
In ten years everybody gonna laugh their heads of to those "128mb" carts.
Of course they can improve these to gain more capacity!?
agreed. The DS may only have been designed to be able to address out that far but nothing says that's a limit. The path is well worn with all the 'backup' cards we have. There's no real rule that says a legit cart can't do it too. On previous systems, similar techniques were used quite a lot to increase space.

getting back to the initial topic, ff7-9 rerelease. I do hope square enix doesn't waste time remaking another game that I beat close to a decade ago, because it's getting rather tiresome. IMO the new FF games aren't especially good, but I'd still rather play a new one than yet another rehash.

mflo

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I saw a rumor a while back that Square-pEnix were already working on a remake/sequal/prequal/hybrid of 7 for PSP. Also as everyone has already said, the psx on psp is excellent atm with i'd guess around 80% of games working flawlessly and $ony improving compatibility all the time. I just wish they'd get FF8 working past certain fights as its the only FF I've never played
biggrin.gif
 The ds could only dream of running games and emus this good. I'm no fanboy I love all gaming machines but now is THE time to have a psp man.
As for the cart size argument, surely if they were to invest that much in porting/remaking for the ds they could at least use multiple cards, 1per cd etc. Can't see it myself for reasons I've already statedÂ
yaypsp.gif

/me goes bed
It's called Crisis Core, or its the other way around, can't remember. But it isn't a sequel, It's a prequel. It takes place before the events in FF7 on the PSX

Psyfira

Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue
Trophies
XP
Country
Why they have to use only ONE ds card?Â
huh.gif
Why they don't make an adventure (or rpg, or anything) game that fits in two -or maybe three- cards?
Same reason FFVII wasn't on Nintendo systems in the first place: cost. Cartridges are far more expensive than CD's. Think about it, a single cartridge game sells for about £25-£30. Add more cartridges and the price goes up.

lurker

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
128MB, which is the maximum size of a DS cart.

I believe that is bullshit.
In ten years everybody gonna laugh their heads of to those "128mb" carts.
Of course they can improve these to gain more capacity!?
agreed. The DS may only have been designed to be able to address out that far but nothing says that's a limit. The path is well worn with all the 'backup' cards we have. There's no real rule that says a legit cart can't do it too. On previous systems, similar techniques were used quite a lot to increase space.
No, the current maximum for a DS card is 128 megabytes, or 1024 megabits.

Curiously, reaperman has said "On previous systems, similar techniques were used quite a lot to increase space.", without mentioning what techniques these are. Do you mean bank switching?

@OP: FFanboy.

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Something to keep in mind is that there are homebrew adapters and such that use SD cards, and store a ton more data than this supposed 128MB limit. They are able to do this because each individual rom on the cart is

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Many such cases.