Hardware My Wii looks funny

shtonkalot

Can't hold on much longer, But I'll never let go!
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
So I was a happy camper with my Wii until last night.
I was playing Zelda and had just got to Kakariko village. The screen started to develop some little red, green and blue artifacts, shimmering away over the screen.
Not good.
I decided to restart the Wii. After I did, once I started Zelda again the artifacts were showing right away at the start of the intro where Link is riding Epona. I loaded my save game and they are showing again but even more noticeable.

I've never mistreated my Wii and it is standing up in it's stand on top of a shelf with plenty of space around it. I think my Wii has a problem and I believe this guy has the same problem.

Here is a picture I took of my plasma last night, I am not sure how to get a better picture off the screen so if you have any advice for that I would appreciate it. I only have a fairly basic Canon A430 digicam.
They look much worse in reality than the picture shows as they sort of shimmer and are not all being picked up in a single frame digicam shot.

So anyway, I have to wait until tomorrow for Nintendo Australia to answer their phones. I'm guessing that the Wii will need replacing
frown.gif

I just hope my Wii points and VC games are not messed up.
Oh crap, that'll probably mean a new Wii number too.

Renegade_R

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If your Wii has overheated, it would have damaged the graphics chip slightly. There is an issue going around where overheating damages the graphic chip and then causes artifacts to appear on images.

Hooya

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Keyword: plasma tv
Go to Wii's settings, and turn on "Burn-in reduction"
should help.
(did not look at pix)
That's my 2 cents.

You should have read the blog on the OPs first link. Key area to quote:

QUOTENintendo called me back. They said it was a problem they are aware of. They think the video cards are overheating and getting damaged. The only problem is that my Wii has never been in an enclosed space. It was under my entertainment center on it's side for a while, but the back fan was unobstructed. Also, I've started hearing about more and more people having this problem.

Uh oh! I thought the Wii wouldn't have heat issues...

But yeah, that definitely doesn't sound like Plasma Burn or anything, it sounds and looks like video card artifacts. PC overclockers will know what I mean.

shtonkalot

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Keyword: plasma tv
Go to Wii's settings, and turn on "Burn-in reduction"
should help.
(did not look at pix)
That's my 2 cents.
I don't really think you know what "Burn-in reduction" does, nor are you up to scratch on Plasma TV burn-in issues and how they can effect a display.. Thanks for the suggestion anyway.
I'm not sure if this post would be considered spammish, but I feel that I can't let your topic title go without remark.

Seriously, your wii looks funny? Woww.

(yes, I'm sooo immature)
Thanks for noticing, I was going to put something in about Dr. Mario but figured that would be too much.

shtonkalot

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Uh oh! I thought the Wii wouldn't have heat issues...

But yeah, that definitely doesn't sound like Plasma Burn or anything, it sounds and looks like video card artifacts. PC overclockers will know what I mean.
This might not be overheating as such. Perhaps just a faulty chip (GPU or Memory) or maybe just a poorly placed heatsink. I'm betting on some manufacturing issue as I've had it very well ventilated.

You are certainly right about it looking like overclocking artifacts on a PC video card. Remember that artifact tester program... good times, good tim.. Hang on! This isn't good!

TheFreak

Trophies
XP
Country
My Wii always seems to be a little warm even when in standby, which I thought was kinda odd as the fan does not work in standby so it has no way to deal with the heat. I hope this is not going to be an issue.....maybe it should be off completly when not in use but that kinda defeats the purpose of standby!

Anyone else notice this?

iza

gbatemp, the new crack
Trophies
Website
myspace.com
XP
Country
United States
yea, i was worried about that myself. i noticed it earlier today when i turned it on useing the botton on the consol. the sides were very warm to the touch.

Scorpei

Trophies
Website
scorpei.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
My Wii always seems to be a little warm even when in standby, which I thought was kinda odd as the fan does not work in standby so it has no way to deal with the heat. I hope this is not going to be an issue.....maybe it should be off completly when not in use but that kinda defeats the purpose of standby!

Anyone else notice this?
I leave my SD card in there pretty much all the time. When it's on standby and I remove the SD card you can feel a bit of warmth, not that much though. When it's on however, boy, I wouldn't want to be that SD card; I'd be sweating like crazy :S.

Bi99uy

Trophies
XP
Country
The heat when it´s in Standby is from the Wireless card. All wireless cards seem to produce quite the heat when they are active.

LilaQ

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can not confirm your problems. I have a PAL Console (Germany) and after 48hours of standby you can _barely_ feel a little warmth on both sides, almost not noticeable.

shtonkalot

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Here is an update.
I have just sent off my Wii to Nintendo on Monday this week. The reason for the delay in sending it off is that I needed a copy of my purchase receipt for the warranty and I had to get a replacement copy from Toy's 'R' Us. That took a while.

During that time I continued to play the Wii and the problem both continued and worsened. I had only really noticed the graphics 'glitching' in Zelda to start with. Over time the problem started to show in Wii Sports and eventually the Wii's channel menu.

As soon as I turn on my Wii it is noticeable, here are some more pics:

Zelda: It's funny looking
Wii Sports: Tennis & Menu
Main Menu: Channels

The little coloured bits show as all black dots with a composite cable but they are showing through my RGB Component cable in those pics.
The little 'Glitchys' are not static dots but rather flashing on and of all over the screen.
It really is very annoying.

I will update again when I hear from Nintendo.

adgloride

Its A Wii Wario
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I've just been touching my wii O.o I only got the wii on saturday and have had it in standby mode for hours, hurt my arm playing wii tennis so no more gaming till weekend. I can't feel any heat at all. The only thing that was slightly warm was the wii sports disc I left in the console, because I was too lazy to take it out.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: @Xdqwerty, Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan! is the Japanese version of the game, different... +1