Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Australia

GBAtemp Visits PlayWii Tour

Australian Wii Tour

GBAtemp member TheStump and myself went to the Gold Coast leg of the Australia wide PlayWii tour today to sample Nintendo's first party offerings.

Click on 'comment' to see the tour impressions and photos from the event.

Also make sure to check our new Wii Forums !

Opium

PogoShell it to me ™
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Australia

GBAtemp visits...

playwiititle.gif

GBAtemp member TheStump and myself went to the Gold Coast leg of the Australia wide PlayWii tour today to sample Nintendo's first party offerings.

The PlayWii tour has just recently kicked off and offers the public a chance to play Wii Sports, Wii Play, Zelda, Excite Truck and Wario Ware Smooth Moves.

Upon arriving mid-morning we were surprised to see that Wii stations weren't busy at all. In fact the Nintendo attendants would often play the games when no one else was stepping up to play. Throughout the few hours we spend there, there was at most two people in line to play any particular game. Even the Zelda station was not busy at all and we had the pleasure to pull up a chair and play through it a few times.

This could be seen as a bad sign for the Wii in Australia but take into account the event was fairly low-key. Only a handful of people there seemed to actually be Nintendo fans, the rest were just passing people enticed by the Wiimote waving.

This was my second time playing the Wii and I can safely say that it is still a lot of fun to pick up that controller and start swinging. TheStump and I had a game of Wii Sports Tennis first up and I have to admit...I suck at it. I suffered another defeat after having lost as well at the Wii Party I went to last week. I may be bad at the game, but it's still great fun to play.

Out of the Wii Play compilation of games Billiards was the most satisfying to play; due to the brilliantly designed controls. Cow racing and tank battles were also fairly fun. However unless you're playing with friends I can imagine the Wii Play games getting old rather fast. Good thing it comes with a free Wiimote!

Although not many people were playing the Wii, quite a few were standing around watching. I heard people around me asking how the controller worked as they were genuinely surprised that you could play video games by swinging a controller. Nintendo's plan seemed to be working as there weren't just kids having a go of the console, people of all ages came to take a peek.

I've covered my impressions of most of the games on show last week here, but if you have any questions about any game or the tour feel free to ask in this thread.

(the 'busy' Wii tour)

Opium

PogoShell it to me ™
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Australia
notice the people far off in the background of the first photo, they're all staring at people playing
biggrin.gif

I'm looking forward to putting some time into Wii Sports when I get my Wii, I need to practice my goofy left-handed swing.

chillyp

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Wankers... I went the first retail showcase in Perth on Thursday night. One solitary Wii with the modified E3 version of Zelda. I got a few minutes on there and I was sold. I don't think our PlayWii tours start until the 25th here.

kknn

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Matt- the IGN guy- said wii sports controls only 'work' half of the time. is that true?
he says even if you swing(tennis) your racket to the left it might sometimes hit the ball to the right and stuff like that.
what feeling did you get?
(i am referring to the problem with wii sports)
i am sure it is still fun as hell, but would you disagree or rather agree with matt after having played?
we'd love to hear your opinion!

good to see everyone enjoying the wii so much!!
smile.gif

Opium

PogoShell it to me ™
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Australia
Matt- the IGN guy- said wii sports controls only 'work' half of the time. is that true?
he says even if you swing(tennis) your racket to the left it might sometimes hit the ball to the right and stuff like that.
what feeling did you get?
(i am referring to the problem with wii sports)
i am sure it is still fun as hell, but would you disagree or rather agree with matt after having played?
we'd love to hear your opinion!

good to see everyone enjoying the wii so much!!
smile.gif

I would have to agree with him, but it doesn't happen that much. I think in tennis it's your own fault if the ball goes the opposite way as you might be making a bit too much movement when lining up your shot that it registers that as your shot instead and sents the ball the wrong way. Bowling is the best to control and Golf was the worst from what I played. With golf I think I needed to keep the wiimote steadier when swinging, something about the controls felt a little weird.

But it's more or less a small learning curve, once you play the games for a little while you'll figure out what does and doesn't work, there's no problem really. The only thing downside I can see is that games like Golf require you to be standing and have a lot of space around you. My living room doesn't have a lot of space...
unsure.gif
Tennis works fine sitting down with just a flick of your wrist though.

Harsky

Madmin
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Looks nice. I really wonder when stores in the UK will install demo machines already. It's just one month to go already and advertising is so thin on the ground.

TheStump

Got Wood?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Do you have to stand up playing the wii... 90% of the pictures i see are people playing while standing. I thought gaming was relaxing in a couch, not getting a backache
tongue.gif
NO, i played through the whole zelda fishng and dungeon demos on my ass. It was a glorious day for me. LOL i also think i may have been the only one that actually completed the dungeon demo.
BTW Opium wasn't joking about how bad he is at wii tennis.
bow.gif

MY THOUGHTS...

Day one when wii(we) got there is was raining, they hadn't set up the stations, they had a little tent outside and explained "sorry guys, the weather is too wet to set this up today", i was pretty darn annoyed, LOL Opium want to take a photo but he was too scared, mind due we were visiting them often that day...god we were optimistic.

anyways, the good day; second day.
There was different staff there and i dont know whose idea it was to set up INSIDE but whose ever it was i will kindly make love with them now. The great thing about visiting a the stall on this particular day and time was, we got there during school hours, so no kiddys, and also the end of schoolers 'schoolies' event was kicking of in the main city, so pretty much all we had to contend with was old people and a few randoms passing by. Needless to say(but i will) wii(we) were at the stations for a good 4 hours.

I myself played;
-Zelda fishing demo
-Zelda dungeon Demo
-Wii sports
-Wii play
-Excite Truck

each had there own feel and style of playing, zelda was by far the most of a learning curve, the bow and arrow was a bit touchy but im sure after you setup specifically in your own environment you will be right. There were a few common glithes when using the bow and arrow, it would tell me 'point at the screen' but when i pointed...no response, sometimes it would take a while (5 secs at max) to work. But this really didnt stop the play through of the game. The sword fighting felt good and simple, i did feel like an idiot in the middle of the shops waving my arms around, but fishing makes you look the most stupid...by far, though i havent played Warioware yet and Opium tells me he looked pretty retarded playing that.
TENNIS WAS THE BEST AFTER ZELDA.

yes Opium said it, i so do i. The gameplay was the easiest, your little mii character follows the ball himself. You really cant hit the ball to crzy hard and spin it so rally can go for a little while, which is want you want from a tennis game. I must admit Opium got better second or third time around, when is was down to the last set(5 set match) he nearly beat me. I noticed though when he would swing sometimes he character had a delay or would miss, this only happen once or twice to me, maybe it had something to do with him setting up to be left hand prior to the game. (which is really easy, you just use the wiimote to click whether you are left or right handed after selecting your mii's).
Wiisports totally reminds me of SUPER MONKEY BALL 2, imagine that game but it makes sense and no monkeys.
Wiiplay i thought would be pretty crap, but it wasn't. Opium was talking up Billards heaps before we got there and i can agree, besides a few issues with my back swing its really good, alot like SUPER MONKEY BALL 2 pool. The other wiiplay games are quite good too, but yes, would be highly un-tertaining if you were on your own, unless say you were drunk.
Woops also WiiSports golf was pretty good too, you only have 3-4 clubs, so it doesnt get confusing(though golf really isnt rocket science). You have a iron, putter, wood and a pitching wedge..i think. great game.

TO SUM IT UP
-Wiisports and Wiiplay is like playing a better version of SuperMonkey Ball 2 but with more games and better controls.(wee didnt play Boxing though)
-Zelda, graphically is below my expectations thought the gameplay still screams Zelda though it could get annoying swinging your arms all the time, i do hope they allow an option to use a normal control at some points, just if your getting tired.
-Excite truck you use the Wiimote as a stearing wheel. Sharp turns can be hard to pull off.
-GO GET A WII

as a side note, after that, i went to EB and putt a pre-order on Wiiplay and Zelda on top of my old Wii pre-order.
only $400 bucks to go now.

ugly_rose

Trophies
XP
Country
I checked the TVs and they were using the Wii component cables. I really wish they included them with the console though
wink2.gif

Are you saying you have to buy the AV cables seperately? I would have thought they'd come in the Wii bundle.

Don't worry dudey, it will come with an AV cable; but with a composite cable, not component. Component cables are used to display the video in High Definition mode, or 480p in this case, which I would call borderline HD. Composite cables, on the other hand, are the usual trash you get with all consoles.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: So true