Sevael

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
For anyone who is interested, here is an edited sound_data.sdat file for Gyakuten Saiban 2 for the DS.

As those of you who have played it may have realized, many of the great tunes from the first game have been remixed and sound quite lousy in the sequel. That was my only disappointment with GS2. So I took the time and replaced the remixed tracks in GS2 with the tracks from PW1, and let me tell you, it's much better as a result.

Download the sound_data.sdat file and use NDSTool to replace the one in the Gyakuten Saiban 2 rom, then recompile the rom and you're good to go.

Let me know if anybody encounters any issues with this and I will try to get a fix out ASAP.

Harsky

Madmin
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hey, I tried to spread the word about this but every people was asking, "hey, I don't know how to use NDStool, can't you make an IPS patch?"

Sevael

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Hey, I tried to spread the word about this but every people was asking, "hey, I don't know how to use NDStool, can't you make an IPS patch?"
I have no idea how to do that. I didn't know you could use IPS patches for DS games. But either way, it still wouldn't be any eaiser than using NDSTool. Get it here with the dslazy GUI and it's as easy as it gets.

- Run dslazy.exe and click "nds unpack" and pick the GS2 rom
- Go to the NDS_UNPACK subfolder it creates, then into the Data folder and overwrite the sound_data.sdat file with the one I linked to in the post above
- Go back to dslazy and click nds packer and choose a name for the newly modified rom
- Load it onto your flash cart using the normal method

Then you're done. Nothing to it.

Sevael

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
No, there were quite a few that were updated, eight or nine tracks, I believe. I got all of the tracks that were in both games, as far as I can tell. But if somebody finds one that I missed, I can easily update the file.

Harsky

Madmin
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
No, there were quite a few that were updated, eight or nine tracks, I believe. I got all of the tracks that were in both games, as far as I can tell. But if somebody finds one that I missed, I can easily update the file.
So... you didn't replace songs such as (from what I heard) the "Sad Steel Samurai" song?

Sherv

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WOW! Thanks so much! I have a hunch you and I both disliked the same songs in the sequel and I'm willing to bet you put Pressing Pursuit / Cornered back in as the "winning" music during a testimony. Hopefully the new good tunes are still in.

Thanks again!

edit: hah, upon closer reading and realization that you replaced the remixed tracks...well...then I guess I was wrong in my above statement
tongue.gif

Harsky

Madmin
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Before I forget, I remember downloading the file the first time you posted it. Is there much changed in this version to warrent me changing to the version you just posted?

Sevael

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
So... you didn't replace songs such as (from what I heard) the "Sad Steel Samurai" song?
I didn't touch most of the tracks that seemed the same between both games. Some have only very subtle differences, if any, so that usually doesn't warrant a full replacement. But if anybody finds a different track that was better in the first game that I haven't yet replaced, let me know and I'll stick it in. You may have to provide me with a save file so that I can hear it first, however. A save file for the track in both games would be best, if possible.

Right now I'm at a point right now where I know that the track I'm listening to in GS2 is not the same as the first game, but I can't figure out which of the tracks from PW1 is the correct replacement. The only way I could figure it out would be to play to a similar point in the first game, which I really didn't want to have to do.

Perhaps somebody could point me in the right direction? Case 4 spoiler for those who aren't up to the first day of the trial yet:
When Edgeworth counters your presented evidence, the music is just so mellow and doesn't seem to fit. I'd like to replace it with the music used in the same situation from the first game, but I don't feel like playing up to the trial in the second case just to find out what tune was used.

Sevael

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
WOW! Thanks so much! I have a hunch you and I both disliked the same songs in the sequel and I'm willing to bet you put Pressing Pursuit / Cornered back in as the "winning" music during a testimony. Hopefully the new good tunes are still in.

Thanks again!

edit: hah, upon closer reading and realization that you replaced the remixed tracks...well...then I guess I was wrong in my above statement
tongue.gif
I'm pretty sure I got those "winning" songs you're talking about. Those two and the two testimony tracks were the most important changes I made. Please let me know if they're not working.

Harsky

Madmin
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry for the stupid question but I cannot tell which bits are the remix of the PW1 tunes.

I guess I should do the sensible option and try and play the game with the song BEFORE I use this version

Sevael

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Sorry for the stupid question but I cannot tell which bits are the remix of the PW1 tunes.

I guess I should do the sensible option and try and play the game with the song BEFORE I use this version
That might help, yeah.
smile.gif

I found that most of the remixed tracks were just too slow and/or toned down from the first game. They lacked the "urgency" that the original tracks had. Some of the new ones were just very mellow or slow or sounded like some kind of ghostly halloween remix. The worst part is that you can still make out the original melody, so it makes it that much harder to swallow when the originals fit much better to the situation. I was a big fan of the music in the first game, and it just hurt to hear how they butchered some of the important tunes in the sequel.

I'm kind of curious about what GS3 sounds like. I might have to get my hands on the GBA version and check it out.

Harsky

Madmin
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I played GS3. I thought the cross examination music in that was really good. Then the translation for the first case stopped.

Sevael

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Just finished the game, and no problems with the music whatsoever. Seems like it was a success. I just hope I'm not the only one who enjoyed this hack.

Harsky

Madmin
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Well, I'll take the advice of what people have been saying and just play the game without the music from the PW1. Nothing worst then realising that there's a chance I could've missed an awesome tune. I said it once, i'll say it again, YOU ROCK!

Sevael

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Well, I'll take the advice of what people have been saying and just play the game without the music from the PW1. Nothing worst then realising that there's a chance I could've missed an awesome tune. I said it once, i'll say it again, YOU ROCK!
Missed an awesome tune? IMO, none of the remixed tracks were anywhere near "awesome", but that's just my opinion.
smile.gif

Most of the new tunes were just fine. In fact, I really liked some of them, especially the new tune in the last part of Case 4, when the truth is revealed. Sounded great. Very intense, fit perfectly. I didn't touch those ones at all. It was just that ridiculous "ghostly" crap they did with the awesome original staple tunes that I had to fix. Sounded like some bad horror version of Phoenix Wright. These are the tracks that you will hear dozens and dozens of times before the game is over. Clearly it annoyed me to the point where I didn't want to play it that way anymore. It just didn't fit. Not even with it being Halloween and all.

Try playing through the first trial with the unhacked game. If, by the end of that you can say that you enjoy the music in the game, then you won't need this hack at all. But if you're anything like me and the new creepy take on the tunes really bugs you, then the hack will be waiting for you.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    straferz @ straferz: Anybody know why this is happening to my ACWW town...