Hacking Is there a SuperCard Lite media compatibility list

kalibar

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Talking about this list. Does a similar such list exist for the SuperCard Lite?

I own a G6 Lite as my primary flashcart, and I absolutely adore it. But, I was using an M3 SD as my "secondary" cart and recently sold it to a friend, so I'm looking for a cost-effective way to replace it (and wouldn't mind a flush-fitting DS Lite solution that can handle DSOrganize -- making the SuperCard Lite an attractive option). Unfortunately, I've been burned in the past with shitty DS ROM playback on the SuperCard SD and am looking to avoid that costly mistake this time around. According to FifthE1ement's review, the SC Lite does a super-fuckin' job cleaning up slowdown issues but it sounds like fifty-five dollar media might be the only way to achieve that goal.

The DS-Link looks like a hot product to wait for, but the review seems to indicate that it has a lot of problems with homebrew -- just like the G6 Lite -- making it a poor choice as a complement to my G6. I guess I could just wait around for awhile, or maybe grab an M3 miniSD and call it a day. microSD is fuckin' expensive.

kalibar

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
rolleyes.gif
That's ROM list. Did you read my post?

pte

Trophies
XP
Country
Buy a 1GB A-Data microSD. It is the fastest microSD card out atm and it is dirt cheap. The access time is 0.7-0.8, I did multiple tests and a bit over half were 0.7ms and the rest were .8ms. It costs a bit over 30 dollars.

kalibar

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think this might help a little:

http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=32586&st=15

FifthE1ementÂ
yaynds.gif

What the hell, man? There's not a single post on that thread about the SuperCard Lite. I saw in your review that you recommended the SanDisk Ultra II above all else, but at 55 bucks that thing is a bit steep.

Are you guys even reading my post?
frown.gif

Buy a 1GB A-Data microSD. It is the fastest microSD card out atm and it is dirt cheap. The access time is 0.7-0.8, I did multiple tests and a bit over half were 0.7ms and the rest were .8ms. It costs a bit over 30 dollars.
Thank you very much for the recommendation -- this is the first I've heard of *any* microSD card that excels with the SuperCard Lite. Are you talking about this card at $41 shipped (and if so, is there a cheaper place to get it)?

Has anyone compared that microSD directly to the SanDisk Ultra II? The Ultra II kinda sounds like the "cadillac of microSD cards" right now. I'd be especially leery of the A-Data card because it doesn't claim to be "fast" or "turbo" or "60x" or however a card is rated as being faster than stock. In my experience, regular-speed flash media has made DS ROMs run like complete shit.

Thanks again for the reply.

FifthE1ement

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wouldn't worry about the price if you want to get a good microSD.

Just stick with the basics which are defined in my flashcart guide and if you have any questions about a microSD you have found on the net, post a link and we'll let you know whether it is any good.

FifthE1ement
yaynds.gif

pte

Trophies
XP
Country
The A-Data MyFlash cards are 60x. The access time is what matters, even the regular SanDisk with a 1.1ms is good. In my opinion buying an Ultra II is crap, you don't need one since the access time benefit is about 0.1ms. So basically it is no good, I have heard from dozens of people that a normal SanDisk is just as good as the Ultra model. With the SCL you don't have to worry unless the access time goes past 1.5ms. It handles the memory in a different way compared to older SC models, you can't compare the SCL to the rest in any form.

The A-Data has the following specs: Random access: 0.7ms
Average read: 7.6MB/s.

The Ultra II is a bit faster in transferring data but in access times it is slower. The 'Turbo' and '150x' texts are utter crap most of the times. The manufacturers just want to hype the product by providing those specs. Often they don't match the real speed at all so few brands don't even provide them.

One guy on MaxConsole with the A-Data after I told him about it (I have one as well)

QUOTE said:
LOL I bought the AData Card...once i find out how it is ill let you know...Im sure the listeners of the Homebrewcast woudl love to hear about it. Especially if it can save them a few bucks and perform the same

1-2 days after

QUOTE said:
well i have to say thanks to pte...tony hawk and the castelvainia demo run perfectly smooth...the only thing i notice is games take a little extra time to transfer....

But rest assured im happy with my purchase and i offically recommend the adata card over the sandisk based on lower price and equal performance

The A-Data has a lifetime warranty as well, I see nothing bad about it.

i just got the adata 1gb micro SD and it is pretty excellent. no lag whatsoever during the castlevania intro. cheap, fast card.

That was from another guy who bought it.

Tir

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I can't find anywhere in Aus that sells the A-Data, and I don't think newegg ships internationally, where can I get one?
frown.gif

Found a Kingston 1gb for only AU$53 though, how are they?

roguefan99

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I've got a kingston (was supposed to be a Sandisk), and whilst I havent tried it with all the games, I havent had a problem at all with it. Played through Castlevania DOS fully, and never noticed any slowdown or problems.

FifthE1ement

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't agree with the above user as all flash media devices, computers and readers cannot tell the difference of any access times under 0.9m/s. Most flash media card readers, even hd tach, have problems registering times under 0.8m/s and no devices can take advantage of any access times under that amount anyway. I would rather have a microSD with a great 1.0ms access time (which is damn near perfect) and great write speeds (9MB/sec vs. 1.8MB/sec) any day, as the extra write speeds help with saving and writing to the card.

Compare the SanDisk Ultra II vs the A-Data:

A-Data 1GB microSD:
Spec. Speeds – Read = 60X (9MB/sec) – Write = 12X (1.8MB/sec)
HD Tach Speeds according to PTE – Read = 50X (7.6MB/sec) Access Time = 0.7m/s

SanDisk Ultra II 1GB microSD:
Spec. Speeds - Read = 66X (10MB/sec) – Write = 60X (9MB/sec)
HD Tach Speeds – Read = 73X (11.1MB/sec) – Write = 67X (10.2MB/sec) – Access Time = 1.0m/s

As I said above no device can manage access time speeds faster than 0.9m/s and the extra read/write you get from the SanDisk will make sure that your SuperCard Lite, or any flashcart, will get the best performance possible.

Kingston always uses the cheapest memory components found anywhere and their products almost always have the slowest access times and read/write speeds. I always suggest staying far away from that brand.

FifthE1ement
yaynds.gif

pte

Trophies
XP
Country
SanDisk ain't something perfect. It is like buying a Microsoft product and claiming it to be the best since it is the biggest. It is a shame that almost everything in the SD world is decided solely by SanDisk and its' SD Card Association. Having a little monopoly doesn't make the company a good one. The Ultra II just costs extra and you get nothing in return. That is what the owner of SCStore said when the Lite was released. The normal Sandisk has been perfect in everything.

FifthE1ement

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In no way do I think SanDisk is the best. I think ATP and KingMax are the top two brands of memory manufacturers as they use the best components and consistently have the best access times and rated speeds. SanDisk does rate up there with other great memory manufacturers such as A-Data, Ritek and Transcend. I have done my own tests with the regular SanDisk and the Ultra II and I can tell you they are damn near close to each other but the regular isn't quite as good and can show some spots of lag in some games.

The problem with microSD memory is that there isn't much competition for faster and bigger memory sizes at this current time and SanDisk seems to currently have the best products out with some of the lowest access time and highest rated speeds. I am sure in the coming months all other manufacturers will be throwing their hands into the ring and prices will go down and speeds will go up! Competition always breeds a better baby.

But as I said before always try to get the best name brand memory for your dollar with the highest rated speed and size. Access times are usually always better with the good name memory brands and cheap memory will just cause corruption and problems including very slow access times and bloated rated speeds.

FifthE1ement
yaynds.gif

pte

Trophies
XP
Country
Well, bamboo can say whatever they like. I have a 512MB Kingston with a bad access time, some claim to have Kingstons with a better access time. I guess it's all about luck.

Chroniss

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Anyone have an opinion or info on Toshiba cards? All I know is they are made in Japan and I saw they got a 5/5 on that one test website but has anyone here tested one?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ButterScott101 @ ButterScott101: +1