Hacking SuperKEY = PassCard3 (pictures inside)

slandar

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I could not leave well enough alone.. and started taking pictures of the guts of the M3, SuperCard, PassCard3, and SuperKEY.

Well.. it got interesting when I got the two passkey carts open..

My SuperKEY is a PassCard3 wearing a mask!

Only difference is the serial number on the big chip. The SuperKEY is marked with a blue dot, and the PassCard3 is marked with a red dot. I guess that is how the workers know to put the right board in the right case...

They both have the same ID and date printed on them: "passcard-3 2006.05.26"

The SuperKEY does not have a splash screen and boots right to the Flash Cart.

The PassCard3 boots with a splash screen, and then goes to the Flash Cart.

Both work with sleep mode.

Interesting...

Anyone else willing to open their toys up and see what they find?

-Zach

jumpman17

He's a semi-aquatic egg laying mammal of action!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
which came first and is there a price difference?

EDIT: Oh, Passcard3 has the better design for a label, so it's the winner!

ZildjianKX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not to be a spoil sport, but this has been known for over a week now. Both companies even admit the cards are made in the same factory. There has been pictures going around of both cards opened up.

Renegade_R

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Makes you think there is some kind of conspiracy going on. There is only one real company manufacturing these kind of flashcards in order to gouge profitability from the consumers and to ensure that the prices of these flashcards stay high.

lars

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Girls, why do we care?

We only need this cards ONE TIME to flash our DS, and then throw it away or sell it via eBay (not worth the effort for 20 bucks
nyanya.gif
).

Would be nice if you could RENT a card
smile.gif
--- *sling* New business idea! I will rent a Passcard for, ehm, uhm, 5 bucks + shipping and handling 5 bucks. You have to pay a deposit of, uhm, em, 20 bucks. Lets see if it works.
rolleyes.gif

Renegade_R

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Well its not really the concept of voiding your warranty, its more of the case with the DS Lites where it seems just a bit too easy to brick your DS Lite because there is a shut-off mechanism which is very easy to touch when you're flashing...which basically kills your DS if you haven't gotten past a certain point in flashing.

slandar

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Not to be a spoil sport, but this has been known for over a week now. Both companies even admit the cards are made in the same factory. There has been pictures going around of both cards opened up.
I found the posts you are talking about I think. I was so excited after I took the pictures I just had to share, not realizing it had even been brought up before.

I guess I am just posting the pictures to verify that what has already been explained is hitting consumers doorsteps then.
wink.gif

No harm I hope.

Earlier GBAtemp threads regarding the superkey=passcard3 topic:
superkey is a passcard 3?
Superkey, by the SC team

-Zach

faceless

pink sugar heart attack
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I still don't get why people are flashing thier DS's when there are these cards. There is just no point. Why void your warranty when you don't have to?

i don't know how many times i have to say this...

just using a flashcard or passme voids your warranty...

irregardless of this, nintendo is very lenient on their warranty coverage and many people have sent in flashed and bricked ds and ds lite units to nintendo and had them serviced or replaced...

and just for kicks, i'll quote something...

QUOTEWARRANTY LIMITATIONS

THIS WARRANTY SHALL NOT APPLY IF THIS PRODUCT: (a) IS USED WITH PRODUCTS NOT SOLD OR LICENSED BY NINTENDO (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, NON-LICENSED GAME ENHANCEMENT AND COPIER DEVICES, ADAPTERS, AND POWER SUPPLIES); (b) IS USED FOR COMMERCIAL PURPOSES (INCLUDING RENTAL); Â IS MODIFIED OR TAMPERED WITH; (d) IS DAMAGED BY NEGLIGENCE, ACCIDENT, UNREASONABLE USE, OR BY OTHER CAUSES UNRELATED TO DEFECTIVE MATERIALS OR WORKMANSHIP; OR (e) HAS HAD THE SERIAL NUMBER ALTERED, DEFACED OR REMOVED.

Lily

One Scary Lady
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
While they have the 'same' internals, it still remains that the PassCard won't boot an EZ4 Lite miniSD or microSD at the moment, but the SuperKey will. So while the PCB is identical, there is SOMETHING different about the programming.

john_blk

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hi guys

I'm about to get a M3 Perfect MiniSD and was told i will need to get a passcard3 i was just about to order and stumbled across this thread and wondered if someone could help me. After reading the posts it does look like superKEY is a passcard3 the difference for me would we virtually the passcard costing 50% more so should i get the superKEY? because alot of people have told me passcard3 is the ideal partner for the m3 mini.

Thank you in advance.

Lily

One Scary Lady
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Wait a second, some people are reporting success with the Passcard and EZ4 - some are not.

The deciding factor seems to be whether or not your PassCard 3 has a boot screen.

Mine has a boot screen, and is not booting either EZ4. The SuperKey has no boot screen, and works with both EZ4's. The PassCard 3 with no boot screen also appears to boot the EZ4's, but I haven't been able to get one - because there's no way to tell outwardly if the PassCard 3 will have a boot screen or not!

TheSpade

Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Wait a second, some people are reporting success with the Passcard and EZ4 - some are not.

The deciding factor seems to be whether or not your PassCard 3 has a boot screen.

Mine has a boot screen, and is not booting either EZ4. The SuperKey has no boot screen, and works with both EZ4's. The PassCard 3 with no boot screen also appears to boot the EZ4's, but I haven't been able to get one - because there's no way to tell outwardly if the PassCard 3 will have a boot screen or not!

So the rumor of 2 different Passcard 3's is true? Glad I got a Passcard 2. No headaches here.
cool.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @BakerMan, I have a piano keyboard but I never use it