Rice-megatron Expert
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
All the cool guys on the internet already have a DS lite... So I could not stand looking at my awfully boring cheap-silver DS any longer. Buying a lite for those horrible prices wasn't an option, either, since I did not have any money. So, what to do? Paint your DS!
cool.gif
cool.gif
cool.gif

50 pics (crappy ones NOT removed...) of the process can be found here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/50326324@N00/...57594221854345/
I did not document every single step but it should be pretty clear how I did it. The last 10 or so pictures are of the finished product. I know, my calligraphy skills are nothing to be proud of.
wink.gif

I used email (not e-mail
rolleyes.gif
) paint from Revell, quite commonly used for model building in Germany. It seems to be quite wear resistant if you only touch your DS with your fingers but comes of quite easily if scratched. So be carefull when putting your DS in your pocket/backpack/whatever.
All in all I can really recommend painting your DS because afterwards you've got an amazing looking, one of a kind device.
yaynds.gif
The DS is easy to disassemble and just as easy to reassemble, just use this video and this screwdriver.
lecture.gif

Oh yeah, please be gentle with my bandwith. If you are going to post this all over the internet, please mirror the images on imageshack or something...

Reactions: nxwing and zoogie

OrR

Rice-megatron Expert
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Well, I love it and that's all that's important.
wink.gif
I'm probably going to get a lite some day but I'm not going to pay much over 100€... By the way, if you don't like the texture, it's looking worse in the pictures than it is. If you don't like my awesome painting... well, that's your problem.
wink.gif

Edit: Wow, you registered just to comment on this?
wtf.gif
bow.gif

AshuraZro

Belongs in a museum.
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm on johnny's side here too. It does indeed look like shit. IMO of course. You are right though, all that matters is that you like it.

By the way. Might want to make sure that all that paint doesn't interfier with the built-in mic. And I imagine the audio might have taken a hit. Looks like some of the holes for the speakers are painted in... or so it seems.

Westside

Sogdiana
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Uzbekistan
It looks... Unique. Who knows, you might be able to BS it to some insane modern artist and call it "revolution of the century" and sell it for $1 mil.
ohmy.gif

Otherwise...What have you done to the DS?!@$??? Save the money for lite and buy a Wii.

OrR

Rice-megatron Expert
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Maybe a bit of spray paint couldn't have hurt...

Yeah, if I had any idea what kind to use and how to handle it...
rolleyes.gif
I'll be looking into it for when I'm going to paint a huge "Objection!" sign on top of my DS lite.
laugh.gif

I'm on johnny's side here too. It does indeed look like shit. IMO of course. You are right though, all that matters is that you like it.

By the way. Might want to make sure that all that paint doesn't interfier with the built-in mic. And I imagine the audio might have taken a hit. Looks like some of the holes for the speakers are painted in...
I made sure no paint got onto the microphone (by removing the whole mainboard with the microphone on it before painting) and I opened all the speaker holes that got closed by the paint with a needle (again, with the speakers removed so I did not damage them). The only problem I had was with the buttons, I had to remove some of the paint that got into the button holes, but that was quite easy to do with some sand paper.

Codemasterflex

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I wouldn't buy my DS if it looked like that, but you like it so eh...that's all that really matters since it's yours. Next time I would suggest you use tape that way it doesn't look like you're a kid who can't color inside the lines, and spray paint, as acrylic paint looks like shit on a DS.

tshu

On epic journey, brb.
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Your heart was in the right place, but unfortunately you didn't quite use the right tools. It would have looked much better if you'd have used a spray based paint. As it is, the globby brush strokes look pretty bad.

azndragonguy115

Trophies
Website
hai-san.tumblr.com
XP
Country
United States
LOL! don't listen to them. even though i think that looks like shit, you now own a ds NO ONE else has.

maybe i should paint mines too :] cause my warranty is gone because of flashme, maybe i'lll design something. Thanks for the inspiration. Having my own special edition ds until the ds lite goes down to $99

Taras

I'm Not Hating, I'm Just Sayin'
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'm holding out for the planned Bumfights skin. It's supposed to have Rufus the stunt bum on one side and Bling-Bling the crackhead smiling on the back.

Oh, wait. Maybe I dreamt that. Anyway, I can print them out and tape them to my DS.

Whoah, business idea here: Blank skins with a positioning template. 4 pack - $9.95.
smile.gif

Tomobobo

Champion.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've seen some bad paint jobs over on xbox-scene. This one takes the cake. No offence man, it just looks really...crappy. Sand it down, talk to the folks over at XS about painting boxes, cause, it's probably the same thing.

bryehn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
wtf.gif

wow man, that was worse than i expected. you did an absolutely terrible job. i want to laugh, but i feel sad for that ds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: yawn