I am mad scientist.
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Here they go again: Big business's lobbyists are launching another attack on Internet freedom. Senators are considering a "Ten Strikes" bill to make it a felony to stream copyrighted content -- like music in the background of a Youtube video -- more than ten times.

As the writers at TechDirt point out, under this bill you could go to jail for posting video of your friends singing karaoke:

The entertainment industry is freaking out about sites that embed and stream infringing content, and want law enforcement to put people in jail over it, rather than filing civil lawsuits.... We already pointed to one possibility: that people embedding YouTube videos could face five years in jail. Now, others are pointing out that it could also put kids who lip sync to popular songs, and post the resulting videos on YouTube, in jail as well.

That's right: Ten strikes and you could get jail time. Less than a month ago, the Hollywood industry magazine, Variety, reported, "Industry lobbyists pressed House members on Wednesday to pass legislation that would make illegal streaming of movies, TV shows and other types of content a felony...."[/p]
icon11.gif
Source
icon11.gif
TechDirt's take on the bill
icon11.gif
Bill's text

I highly doubt this will pass. It's just too unreasonable, but thought I'd share.

BloodyFlame

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rydian said:
Waitwaitwait.

According to the current readings of the law, that means if you upload something and it gets 10 views...

I think it's if you do it 10 times, you get jailtime. However, the bill isn't very specific nor clear.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
BloodyFlame said:
I think it's if you do it 10 times, you get jailtime. However, the bill isn't very specific nor clear.
My concern is with the way that current suits are passed, each upload counts as an infringement. So if you upload one file and 500 people download it, they count that as 500 downloads.

So if it's read that way you only need to upload one file and have it viewed 10 times for this.

Zarcon

.:~Enigmatic Wanderer~:.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
machomuu said:
What, so rap songs can do it but we can't? That's BS.

Moreover, that will really put a hamper on the Dragon Ball Z Abridged Series.
It'd ruin a lot of things.

Streams of competitive game tournaments? Illegal.
Those charity events where people stream and play a game for 24 hours or something? Illegal.
All video reviews of games, music, or movies? Illegal.

And so on and so forth.

Raiser

I am mad scientist.
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
KirbyBoy said:
Terminator02 said:
posted in the Off-Topic section
I'd say lock that one, this one is a lot better.

If you insist, Kirbs! Sorry 'bout that- got a bit lazy this time (thus not searching). x.X

Quote:
(A) the offense consists of 10 or more public performances by electronic means
This does sound more like actual event occurrences or uploads rather than YouTube views.

However if it (somehow) is views... better get started on that new prison.

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I heard that this only applied to those making $2,500 or more per month from streaming video games.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well, if a lot of that content didn't find a play in various youtube videos, it would never be played or shown 'cause we all know about the great quality of the current music and theater industry.

purechaos996

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't see why the government wants to get involved with this. Shouldn't it be the private companies responsibility to make sure its users are abiding by the ToS. For Instants we all know youtube's copyright policy, music and movies even trailers of sorts are almost certain to either be removed or be flagged for copyright. Youtube IMO Handles this VERY WELL. Ustream I know for a fact has a warning that states that if you are caught streaming movies, music or a game before its release you will be banned from the site, and I think for the most part that this is perfectly fair.

There is absolutely NO need for them to get involved, in fact I would even say this infringes on the 1st amendment.

Zetta_x

The Insane Statistician
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The government wants to get involved because the private companies think they will get more revenue on sales for digital music in which it takes almost nothing to make copies of. If private businesses get more revenue the government gets more money on taxes.

Nimbus

sudo /usr/bin make-me-a-coffee --nosugar --cream=1
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Whoever or whatever thought of this needs to go jump off a fucking cliff into a boiling lake of acid, lava, or maybe a pit of rabid bloodthirsty hyenas.

Fuck the MPAA, Fuck the RIAA, Fuck Sony Music, Fuck anyone that supports them. They can all go burn and rot slowly and painfully in the abyssal flames of hell.

Oh I can't use Sinful Rose "from Disgaea 2 Arranged Album btw) anymore on an unrelated video game video anymore, fuck I can't post video game videos anymore according to this proposed law. I think my anger and rage just hit a new all time high.

Guarantee the EFF, FSF and other pro-consumer-rights groups will fight this every step of the way.

thela_kid

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nimbus said:
Whoever or whatever thought of this needs to go jump off a fucking cliff into a boiling lake of acid, lava, or maybe a pit of rabid bloodthirsty hyenas.

Fuck the MPAA, Fuck the RIAA, Fuck Sony Music, Fuck anyone that supports them. They can all go burn and rot slowly and painfully in the abyssal flames of hell.

Oh I can't use Sinful Rose "from Disgaea 2 Arranged Album btw) anymore on an unrelated video game video anymore, fuck I can't post video game videos anymore according to this proposed law. I think my anger and rage just hit a new all time high.

Guarantee the EFF, FSF and other pro-consumer-rights groups will fight this every step of the way.

amen brother

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: