Workers in Chinese Apple Factories Forced to Not Kill Selves

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
ipad.jpg

Factories making sought-after Apple iPads and iPhones in China are forcing staff to sign pledges not to commit suicide, an investigation has revealed.

At least 14 workers at Foxconn factories in China have killed themselves in the last 16 months as a result of horrendous working conditions.

Many more are believed to have either survived attempts or been stopped before trying at the Apple supplier's plants in Chengdu or Shenzen.

After a spate of suicides last year, managers at the factories ordered new staff to sign pledges that they would not attempt to kill themselves, according to researchers.

And they were made to promise that if they did, their families would only seek the legal minimum in damages.

An investigation of the 500,000 workers by the Centre for Research on Multinational Companies and Students & Scholars Against Corporate Misbehaviour (Sacom) found appalling conditions in the factories.

They claimed that:

Excessive overtime was rife, despite a legal limit of 36 hours a month. One payslip showed a worker did 98 hours of overtime in one month, the Observer reported.
During peak periods of demand for the iPad, workers were made to take only one day off in 13.
Badly performing workers were humiliated in front of colleagues.
Workers are banned from talking and are made to stand up for their 12-hour shifts.
[/p]

icon11.gif
Soruce

I'm sure those iPads are totally worth it.

m3rox

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nathan Drake said:

No, but the iPhones/iPod touch's are
biggrin.gif
(seriously, they're awesome)

Sucks the dudes can't kill themselves, they'll probably get fired if they do.

Raika

uguu
Trophies
XP
Country
This is pretty ridiculous. Instead of doing this sort of shit, maybe the factories could at least try to improve the working conditions?

Morons.

CarbonX13

GBAtemp 台灣人
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Taiwan
And I guess the worst part about this is that the factories can improve the working conditions of their employees. They're making all the electronic devices that are pushed out from Sony, Apple, Nintendo, Microsoft, and much more. I highly doubt they don't have enough money to at least give their workers some attention to their working conditions.

Schlupi

Gbatemp's Official Earthbound Maniac™
Trophies
Website
Starmen.net
XP
Country
United States
Ugh... I know they aren't the only ones, but...

YET ANOOOOOTHER THING TO HATE ABOUT APPLE'S BUSINESS PRACTICE. I hate everything about them.

Just wait until the Humancentipad comes out...

humanCentiPad01_press1.jpeg

WHY. WON'T. IT. READ?!?!?

FluffyLunamoth

Still a Touhou Fanatic
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
m3rox said:
Nathan Drake said:

No, but the iPhones/iPod touch's are
biggrin.gif
(seriously, they're awesome)

I seriously hope you're joking. I also wonder if you read the topic at all. And no, iPhones/iPods are FAR from worth it. For one thing, there are cheaper, better alternatives. But this isn't an iBash topic. NOTHING is worth something like this.

I'm only surprised that some corporations in the US haven't tried doing this yet. Talk about kicking you when you're down.

Snailface

My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing
Trophies
Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
XP
Rock Raiyu said:
m3rox said:
Um...what?

What's the point in getting fired if they are already dead?
mellow.gif
I used to work at Wal-mart. It's company policy there to file a termination paper (green sheet) even if an 'associate' dies.
dry.gif

To be fair, I'm sure this is common practice in any business, but still . . . it's a little creepy.

FluffyLunamoth

Still a Touhou Fanatic
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Snailface said:
Rock Raiyu said:
m3rox said:
Um...what?

What's the point in getting fired if they are already dead?
mellow.gif
I used to work at Wal-mart. It's company policy there to file a termination paper (green sheet) even if an 'associate' dies.
dry.gif

To be fair, I'm sure this is common practice in any business, but still . . . it's a little creepy.

Well of course they do. They can't just keep a random person still on their payroll, even if he's dead. That's kind of obvious...logic, even. Otherwise shenanigans can happen.

KingAsix

ByJustAsix
Trophies
Website
www.byjustasix.com
XP
Country
United States
This is a fucking shame....I can't wait to get rid of my iphone....I refuse to support a company that does this to its worker. I know just me saying/doing this means nothing, but unless this policy goes away or they do something about their working conditions I refuse to support Apple.

doyama

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You guys need to step back and think about the WHY instead of simply reacting to the information.

1) As has been pointed out repeatedly suicide rates at the factory were pretty much in line with average in China. The rates are not in any way anomalous when taken in aggregate.
2) Foxconn is one of THE BEST employers in China for unskilled labor. It is the kind of job people are lining up for. They actually charge the LEGAL wage required and pay overtime. Note literally no other company does this in China. In Foxconn people WANT to work overtime because they get paid for it. At other companies they are FORCED to work with no pay on top of being paid less than the minimum wage required by law.
3) Many employess were using the suicide clause as a way to pay off debts. Foxconn, again being a 'nice' company compared to others, paid a small stipend to families of employess that committed suicide. Almost all non skilled workers are migrants that are sending money back to their families in destitute villages. If they needed a big lump sum of money for medical, education or other expenses, then suicide looks like an appealing choice. Especially since the company you work for IS ACTUALLY GOING TO PAY. Note that this is the exception. Thousands of coal miners die in China on a nearly monthly basis. Their families are almost never compensated since the local government covers up these events, due to overwelming pressure from the central government to have 'no mining accidents'.

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I want you guys to consider this savage hypocrisy.
http://www.apple.com/uk/environment/reports/

QUOTE said:
The way our products are manufactured, used and recycled represents the largest percentage of Apple’s total greenhouse gas emissions. That’s why we design them for better environmental performance. We measure that performance in Product Environmental Reports. Here you’ll find detailed information on how every Apple product performs in these categories:

Has it come to it that the general public may be more concerned with the environmental footprint it leaves, rather than the well-being of the people it employs, including those outside of the country?

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
"Yeah... hey listen. Um, Bob? Yeah, uh just letting you know, we have a new policy that, if you kill yourself, your family suffers."

"What? But if I kill myself, my family is already suffering."

"Oh believe me, I'm with you, just throwing it out there, we don't think they're suffering enough. Anyways, see you at the party on Friday."

"Party?"

"Ooh... ouch. Sorry."

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse