OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
basically i used this installer on my ipod video

http://psx-scene.com/forums/f178/release-r...3/index207.html

the problem is, i dont know what to do after that. i have psgroove but what's the next steps? looked for a guide for a while but no luck
frown.gif

Thanks!

DaMummy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
1. install rockbox on your ipod
2. download the correct file under PL3 PSN Evilsperm- 12.11.10 (math fix + netkas fix + 3.50 spoof) depending on which ipod/mp3 player you have from this link http://rockbox-psgroove.com/downloads/
3. place the psgroove rockbox file onto the ipod/mp3 player
4. unplug your ps3, phat-switch, slim-pull cord
5. turn on ipod/mp3 player that has psgroove installed and connect to ps3 via usb while ps3 power is off
6. switch power for ps3 on, for phat, flip the switch, slim-plug in power cable
7. press power button, then immidiatly press eject on ps3
8. once ps3 is booted, it should be in psgroove mode(should be 2 new selections available under GAME, one saying Install Package File, and one other one) find a backup manager .pkg file and place it on root of a fat32 formatted sd/usb/hdd
9. once ps3 booted in psgroove mode, unplug ipod and connect fat32 with .pkg file in root
10. click on install package files in xmb/game and select your pkg gile to install
11. ?????
12. profit!

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I'm switching OFF then ON again the console immediately. Then I connect the iPod.
I guess both method works fine, but it's easier to care only about the iPod.

Hermes and PL3 have different timing when you need to power+eject.

• If you use Hermes : power your iPod and wait until the firmware is fully loaded and you see the rockbox menu. Then plug the USB into the PS3 and do power+eject.
• If you use PL3 : power your iPod, when you see the rockbox Booting screen (with the revision/version number), plug the USB into the PS3 and do power+eject before the rockbox is fully loaded.

Yes, you only need to turn ON the iPod (without earphone connected, so it doesn't resume last played song) and connect it to PS3.
Don't touch anything else on the device.

drcrappants

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thanks cyan,
i'm doing both and im still having trouble.
my ps3 currently has no disc inside atm. i just updated to 3.41.

here was my process:
1. downloaded rockbox-psgroove installer and installed hermes4b for my ipod video 30gb 5th gen.
2. realized i needed rockbox so i downloaded and installed that onto ipod, then reopened rockbox-psgroove installer to reinstall (overwrite basically). then downloaded hermes4b for ipod video and stuck the new rockbox.ipod into the .rockbox folder.
3. power cycle ps3
4. hook up ipod to ps3, turn on ipod, reset using select+menu, selected psgroove from bluescreen (ipl loader), waited until i saw the menu with files,etc.
5. pressed ps3 power and then eject fast
6. fail! no new 2 options in games.

no idea why. basically, i have a loader.cfg file on my root, a psgroove folder with H4B.ipod file inside, and new rockbox file in rockbox folder. and thats it, rest all standard ipod folders.
also, if i fail the timing, should i turn off ipod and return on or is it ok to leave it in and powercycle the ps3?

thanks again, excited to get this working soon though getting frustrated

DaMummy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
not sure how the ipod thing works, but on my sansa i dont have to select anything, the ps3 loads psgroove itself. i unplug my ps3, turn on my rockbox and plug into ps3 while turned on, plug ps3 on, hit power button+eject immidiatly, and let it load, my sansa shuts its screen off after a few seconds by itself, if while the ps3 is booting up, my sansa screen turns back on, it means it loaded psgroove. i dont do anything with my sansa other then press the power button on it while ps3 is unplugged

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
drcrappants said:
4. hook up ipod to ps3, turn on ipod, reset using select+menu, selected psgroove from bluescreen (ipl loader), waited until i saw the menu with files,etc.
5. pressed ps3 power and then eject fast
6. fail! no new 2 options in games.
I think this is where it fails.
The PS3 is analyzing the connected device when you plug it, if you reset it again after connecting the USB, then the PS3 doesn't initialize it again.

Hook the iPod to console AFTER it successfully loaded the rockbox firmware.
boot rockbox, select the Hermes from the menu, wait until rockbox is fully loaded, then connect it. (you don't have to reset rockbox if the device was started from power off state).
Reseting rockbox is only needed if it's still powered after your already booted your PS3 in debug mode, powered the console off, and want to run it again in debug mode. (not sure if I'm clear)

PS : are you sure you are using the correct 3.41?
There are 2 different firmware tagged 3.41. the first one had a bug, sony fixed it without renaming the firmware version.

drcrappants

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
oh dang TWO 3.41? how do i check if i have the good one? let me try the trick you posted for me, thanks again

i got the 3.41 from here: should be correct because its a ps3 jailbreak site: http://www.ps3-hacks.com/downloads/PS3_341_FW_UPDATE.RAR

edit: tried your way to jailbreak, still no good. does the rockbox do anything or does it just sit at its menu? perhaps i can go to files->psgroove->h4b.ipod to load it?

running out of ideas now

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I guess that's the correct firmware then.
If you can check the MD5, it has to be : e07d2b84c9e9691c261b73e5f1aada20
if not, download the correct 3.41 here.

yes, you can try to reload the firmware by selecting it in the file explorer. I'm using that method and reload the payload I want to run.
just wait until the new payload is completely reloaded (return to the main rockbox menu).

Then, on PS3, unplug anything (HDD, controller, etc.). power cycle the console. connect the rockbox to any usb port. power+eject quickly.
If you are running hermes, the ipod should lit again by itself (if set to shut off the backlight).

When you power + Eject : It's not both at the same time, it's power first, then quickly eject.
Each button need only a short press, do not continually press or stay pressed.
That's a common error due to misunderstanding found on an early tutorial while jailbreaking first came out.

drcrappants

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
FFS I GOT IT TO WORK! THANKS!
i dont know what it was, but i always had the controller in the usb port. let me do a few more tries and if it works, it probably is the controller usb cable.

thanks again cyan!

edit: yes i beleive it was the ps3 controller usb. jesus. the "unknown usb device" message was always there before i removed the ps3.

well i lost the guide sites that i was using: the next step is just
1. install a backup manager
2. put a backup game on an hdd (damn theyre huge--i dont see many under 4gb--meaning a fat32 hd wont work for them?)
3. play!

any tips on backup managers
and if i remove ipod now its fine once i got the install package files option loaded?

DaMummy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
i use gaia backup manager. just cause the whole game is more then 4gb, doesnt mean it wont be able to go onto fat32, its seperate file itself, you cant use iso files, if you have a ps3 game in iso format, you have to extract the game from the iso file using apps such as MagicISO, should be a folder PS3_Game and other stuff inside usually a BLUS##### or BLES##### folder, you can always rename these so you can identify them easier. the later JB Scene releases dont come in ISO format, so many releases will have JB in them as such God.of.War.3.USA.JB.PS3-GSXR

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Like DaMummy said, I'm sure all the games you will find come now in a files&folders format, not an ISO.
so, as long as no files are bigger than 4GB, you can put and play the game on external HDD.

If one of the file is bigger than 4GB, you can put the game on FAT32 HDD, but you have to transfer the game to the internal HDD in order to play.
When you rip or transfer a game to external HDD and a file is bigger than 4GB (for example star ocean has a big 25GB file), it will be splitted in many 4GB files, with the extension renamed to .ext.666xx, where xx is an incremental value.
the folder name will usually be renamed with an underscore : BLESxxxxx (not splitted) -> _BLESxxxxx (splitted, has to be copied to internal HDD)

A) If you download a game with big files not yet splitted, you have tow choices to put the game to internal HDD :
1. use an FTP server on PS3 (either Blackb0x ftp 1.1, or Gaia Manager internal FTP), and connect to the PS3 with an FTP client on your computer. (use an ethernet connection!)
2. use a splitter software first, to create the 4GB files with the correct naming. There are 2 software doing that job. OpenSplit1.2 (a java application), and the second one is PS3Splitter
launch openSplit, select the BLESxxx folder, and it will convert all the big files in all folders recursively, and rename the processed folder to _BLESxxxxx

B) If you download a game with underscore in the name, don't use FTP to transfer the game, or rebuild the big file first. (It's totally logical, but I guess I had to mention it, just in case
tongue.gif
)

DaMummy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
thats why we're here, my and cyan have done our fair share of research so if you have any troubles please ask, cyan has helped me and i am more then happy to help others

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
no, it's not possible
frown.gif

Nano 2g and 3g are not compatible.
They changed the CPU chipset, the CPU can't modify the USB register to make it work as a multi-HUB.

It's a physical limitation, which has nothing to do with rockbox.
So, I think these devices won't be able to jailbreak PS3, even if rockbox will be 100% working on it in the future.

For example, Nano2g is no longer beta for rockbox, but we still can't use it to jailbreak PS3.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Least they got head in the end