Hacking Pokemon Black NOT an SDHC issue?

Xeology

OP
Trophies
Website
tempestdev.com
XP
Country
United States
Ok wtf, everyone has reported that SDHC cards are the only type that will experience the freeze after the proffessor's speach, so I went out and bougt a 2g PNY that was NOT an sdhc, used panasonic formater and installed the newest AKAIO (1.7.1) and the newest loaders. I patched it with the english/EXP patch and it STILL freezes at the same spot. So wtf, is this just simply a crap flashcard issue (acekard 2i)? It is not a clone considering it runs AKAIO 1.7.1 and has the appropriate board colors and chip and such (yes I pryed it open and checked after seeing this). So does anybody have any clue on whats wrong now?

Ryukouki

See you later, guys.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SDHC cards work fine. I used two 4GB/8GB SDHC cards. It works perfectly fine. AFAIK it's not the SD card.

Xeology

OP
Trophies
Website
tempestdev.com
XP
Country
United States
Ryukouki said:
SDHC cards work fine. I used two 4GB/8GB SDHC cards. It works perfectly fine. AFAIK it's not the SD card.

http://gbatemp.net/t255234-pokemon-b-w-tro...cards?&st=0

And as reported on the akaio IRC the issue was "supposedly" with the interaction with SDHC, but whatever you say . . .

PS Anyone have a PNY 2GB Microsd with an Acekard 2i that got this working? If so tell me the EXACT steps you used please

Mantis41

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have an Acekard and it works so let's compare.

As you said you would be unlucky if you had an extremely crap non HC SD card but it can happen.
I am using akAIO 1.7.1 which is the same.
I have used all the language patches up to non-BETA V2 with EXP and they have been fine, no other patches needed.
I also use cheats and eveything is fine.

So, what does that leave?

The ROM itself. Easy to check try another clean ROM from a different source.
A freak chance the new SD is a hideous clone with issues.
Your acekard is a bad egg. (I have had 3 all of which are great) still a chance though. Mine have al been HWID 81. What is yours?

Xeology

OP
Trophies
Website
tempestdev.com
XP
Country
United States
Mantis41 said:

As you said you would be unlucky if you had an extremely crap non HC SD card but it can happen.
I have used all the language patches up to non-BETA V2 with EXP and they have been fine, no other patches needed.

Your acekard is a bad egg. (I have had 3 all of which are great) still a chance though. Mine have al been HWID 81. What is yours?

I have tried 5 different roms I have tried patched different ways.
The SD card came in PNY packaging brandnew. Very unlikely it is a clone
I have a HWID 81 as well.

EDIT: All of them work via emulator

Mantis41

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Xeology said:
Mantis41 said:

Did you try to update the akAIO loader? - link

Copy the loader to SD:\__aio\loaders\, overwrite existing file.

Xeology

OP
Trophies
Website
tempestdev.com
XP
Country
United States
Mantis41 said:
Xeology said:
Mantis41 said:

Of course . . . When I installed AKAIO the loaders were updated as well

EDIT: I mean I did it WHEN I installed akaio to avoid misconception

Mantis41

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Xeology said:
Mantis41 said:
Xeology said:
Mantis41 said:

Um... Don't assume the main download is up to date. Just try and replace your loaders with the ones in the link. If that fails I can only guess your acekard is screwed.

Edit: unless that is what you meant, you downloaded those loaders and used them when you installed akAIO.

Xeology

OP
Trophies
Website
tempestdev.com
XP
Country
United States
Mantis41 said:
Xeology said:
Mantis41 said:
Xeology said:
Mantis41 said:

Um... Don't assume the main download is up to date. Just try and replace your loaders with the ones in the link. If that fails I can only guess your acekard is screwed.

Edit: unless that is what you meant, you downloaded those loaders and used them when you installed akAIO.

Read above, and let this be a note to everyone, buy a DSTwo

Aeladya

*mistressOFtheCLOW
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm almost convinced that it depends on where the card is made. If it's from Taiwan the game probably won't run, but if it's from Japan it will. I have two Kingston microSD cards. One is a 4GB SDHC from Taiwan, the other is a 2GB SD from Japan. The Japan one works, while the one from Taiwan freezes at the Professor speech. Both cards have updated loaders and it still black screens after the professor speech on the SDHC card. That's my theory, on cards made from Taiwan it simply won't play. Whether or not this can be fixed is a different story, and as I said, it's only a theory. Cards made from Japan work better because they are made better.

Xeology

OP
Trophies
Website
tempestdev.com
XP
Country
United States
Aeladya said:
I'm almost convinced that it depends on where the card is made. If it's from Taiwan the game probably won't run, but if it's from Japan it will. I have two Kingston microSD cards. One is a 4GB SDHC from Taiwan, the other is a 2GB SD from Japan. The Japan one works, while the one from Taiwan freezes at the Professor speech. Both cards have updated loaders and it still black screens after the professor speech on the SDHC card. That's my theory, on cards made from Taiwan it simply won't play. Whether or not this can be fixed is a different story, and as I said, it's only a theory. Cards made from Japan work better because they are made better.

http://gbatemp.net/t255234-pokemon-b-w-tro...cards?&st=0 Post #9

Says he has it working on the exact card I have.

Aeladya

*mistressOFtheCLOW
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Xeology said:
Aeladya said:

Are you sure they were made in the same country? They may not be exactly the same. Some companies have different countries make the cards. As I said I have two Kingston cards, both bought at the Fry's here in Vegas, one was made in Japan, while the other was made in Taiwan.

Xeology

OP
Trophies
Website
tempestdev.com
XP
Country
United States
Aeladya said:
Xeology said:
Aeladya said:

Are you sure they were made in the same country? They may not be exactly the same. Some companies have different countries make the cards. As I said I have two Kingston cards, both bought at the Fry's here in Vegas, one was made in Japan, while the other was made in Taiwan.

UPDATE the Sandisk 2gb that I just exchanged for works and it is from taiwan. This issue is strictly a random issue. Nothing to do with SDHC but ALL SD card types.

Mantis41

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Xeology said:
Aeladya said:
Xeology said:
Aeladya said:

UPDATE the Sandisk 2gb that I just exchanged for works and it is from taiwan. This issue is strictly a random issue. Nothing to do with SDHC but ALL SD card types.
Well done for persevering. I think the point we were trying to make is that most Japanese cards will probably work especially in the smaller sizes, where as a much lower percentage of Taiwanese cards will actually work. I'd prefer to spend an extra £5 or £10 and not have the headache.

Xeology

OP
Trophies
Website
tempestdev.com
XP
Country
United States
Mantis41 said:
Xeology said:
Aeladya said:
Xeology said:
Aeladya said:

Well done for persevering. I think the point we were trying to make is that most Japanese cards will probably work especially in the smaller sizes, where as a much lower percentage of Taiwanese cards will actually work. I'd prefer to spend an extra £5 or £10 and not have the headache.

My card was the same price . . . And brand doesnt always seem to matter. Hopefully the AKAIO team will TELL us how they fixed it in 1.8 so we can determine the problem, because if Nintendo has found a way to target cards like this, it is only the beggining. Im sure they did something where there is a clash between how the game retrieves data and how the card transfers. For now anyone with this issue SHOULD DEFINITELY USE SANDISK 2GBs.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Yayyy got arcade games on the Pi working lol